Poll: Is Romney qualified to be President according to his own words?

Romney:If I paid more taxes than I legally owed I would not be qualified to be Pres.

• Not qualified to be President

• Lying because he intends to file an amended return

• PIe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/21/mitt-romney-tax-return_n_1904573.html

Romney has asserted that he does not believe in paying more taxes than required.

"I don't pay more than are legally due and frankly if I had paid more than are legally due I don't think I'd be qualified to become president," Romney has previously said. "I'd think people would want me to follow the law and pay only what the tax code requires."

The choice to not take the deduction allowed Romney to inflate his tax rate to 14.1 percent. The difference between his charitable giving of more than $4 million and his claimed deductions of $2.25 million increased his tax bill by several hundred thousand dollars, as he paid taxes he didn't have to on nearly two million dollars.

Wait a minute. Romney intentionally didn't take all his charitable donation deductions? Then he didn't pay all the taxes he was legally due. Therefore by his own words he is not qualified to be President.

Oh, wait!

Luckily for Romney, after the election he can recoup that money. If the American people reject him at the polls in November -- and even if they don't -- Romney would be fully within his legal rights to file an amended return, requiring the Treasury to cut him a substantial check.

So, BY HIS VERY OWN WORDS IS ROMNEY is either:

A) Not qualified to be President
B) Lying because he intends to file an amended return.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Just heard on tv that Romney can go back and amend later, after the fact, his 2011 tax return to claim the tax deductions he didn't take...

As the story gets fleshed out by tv talking heads, Romney again is going to look worst than if he did nothing...

:sneaky:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-

So, BY HIS VERY OWN WORDS IS ROMNEY is either:

A) Not qualified to be President
B) Lying because he intends to file an amended return.

You forgot:

C) Donating to non-qualified charities so no deduction allowed. E.g., The Mormon church in another country etc.

Various types of charities have different limitations on deductibility. Some are limited to 50% of AGI (as adjusted), some 30%, some 20%. The remainder can be forward and deducted in a future year.

I think it would be a good idea to wait for an explanation, or else at least the analyses that are sure to be forth coming since his return was released today, before jumping to conclusions.

Edit: Just re-read the article in the other thread. I now see why people think Romney just simply chose not to deduct otherwise fully deductible contributions. If that is indeed true, that's stupid.

Fern

Last edited:

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
I think it would be a good idea to wait for an explanation, or else at least the analyses that are sure to be forth coming since his return was released today, before jumping to conclusions.

Fern

Agreed.

I'm not 100% on the tax law, but couldn't he wait until *after* the election to amend last years returns anyway?

EDIT: Oh, and "PIe", easily.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Agreed.

I'm not 100% on the tax law, but couldn't he wait until *after* the election to amend last years returns anyway?

EDIT: Oh, and "PIe", easily.

Yes.

Everyone has 3 yrs to amend. (There is a special exception that can kick in and limit it to two, but that's a weird rule from a court case and you don't see it often.)

Fern

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Silly gotcha nonsense. This doesn't even make the top ten on my list of legitimate reasons why he's not worthy of serious consideration as president.

Status
Not open for further replies.