POLL: if you were to lose all 5 senses but one, which would you keep?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
I'd say touch. Imagination is a great thing. Even though you can't see it, but your sense of touch will increase much more, and by feeling, you can envision what you're touching, therefore sorta see it. On the plus side, beer goggles are no longer required. I have accumulate in this life time enough of the images that I can relate most of the things I touch to, so I can pretty much conjur up any images of what I "want" to see when touching something. You will certainly no longer getting slapped for "accidentally" touching some things, or some ones, because now you have an excuse :p.

EDIT: Wait a minute... taste is touch... it's not a sense in itself... You left out THOUGHT. THIS POLL IS NOW CLOSED.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Doesn't anyone else think itd be pretty ludicrous to actualy lose the abilty to feel things with every part of your body? Id assume by that point you'd be a quadriplegic.

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
Vision...I've had a spinal cord injury and touch is sketchy at best anyway.

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Doesn't anyone else think itd be pretty ludicrous to actualy lose the abilty to feel things with every part of your body? Id assume by that point you'd be a quadriplegic.

Quadriplegia does not mean entire body.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
I would probably end myself. No sight, no taste, no hearing, and no smell (since I most likely would pick touch)...life would be a living hell.

no0b

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
If you did not have any of the 5 senses would you or the world exist?

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
sight - b/c you can still interact with people

97% of all communication is nonverbal

Baronz

Mar 12, 2002
Originally posted by: alm4rr

Blink your eyes twice for yes, blink once for no.

You could have a whole morse code with left and right eye blinking :)

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
people would lost all senses but touch so they could have orgasms?

so you would give up being able to communicate and know whats going on around you, and choose to live in a box for the rest of your life, just so you could get off?

i would choose vision

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Hearing. Jessie could take care of the rest for me. Of course, this assumes that the loss of the ability to feel doesn't in any way impede motor controls, and my own vocalizations would still be possible.

D

Deleted member 4644

Clearly, I would keep vision. With vision, you can still hold almost any job (expecially since you can still speak since you have been speaking your entire life.) Moreoever, you can still have sex, and the ladies will LOVE your stamina. And since physical relationships are really largely emotional anyways, not getting off is something I could live with.

Vision also allows you drive, play video games, work with computers, and do 90% of the interesting things in life -- play sports, go outdoors, etc etc etc.

D

Deleted member 4644

DING DING DING ^
|
|
|
|
|
|
The above post is the winnar!

Cat13

Golden Member
Nov 14, 1999
I would have to say vision. It would be agonizing not being able to see my kids grow up.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: alm4rr

Exactly. You can read messages so that takes over your hearing, your touch isn't important if you can see it IMO.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Lifer
how about i phrase it, if you were to lose all 4 senses but one, which would you keep?

Still wrong. You have 5 senses, you can't say "all four senses" but you can say just "four senses".

However, I choose sight.

You could still see people touching you, see what you are putting in your mouth. I would say you get the greatest benefit from sight, but the least benefit from smell and taste.

I've heard that the rate of depression among deaf people is MUCH higher than that of blind people. Imagine not being able to talk or converse with people around you. I would at least like to keep my hearing. Sounds add SO MUCH to life.