Poll: How would you reform the monetary system?

Best reform(s) for the banking/monetary system

• No Central Bank

• no governmental currency

• National Full Reserve law

• reinstatement of the Glass-Stegall act

• Put pressure on china

• governmental gold standard

• it's fine how it is

• balanced budget, even if it means huge tax increase

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Seems to be working at the moment (in spite of The Lootings of the 00's), and can only get better with a bit more transparency and oversight.

I imagine you have an alternative in mind?

--

totalnoob

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2009
Legalize competing currencies. If a few private groups get together to form a commodity-backed private currency, they probably won't come close to overturning the dollar standard..but they will at least give the fed an incentive to protect the value of the "official" currency and not print us into oblivion.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Totally embedded electronic data tied to genetic code, taxes paid via transfer of every dollar.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Increasing taxes are useless if the govt does not control its spending especially on "welfare". Small govt, strong regulations, ban China, create jobs. Control spending then increase taxes as much as you want I am all for it.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Where is the "balanced budget, even if it means huge spending cuts" option? If you can have "balanced budget, even if it means huge tax increase" as an option then the converse is also an option.

Nov 30, 2006
Where is the "balanced budget, even if it means huge spending cuts" option? If you can have "balanced budget, even if it means huge tax increase" as an option then the converse is also an option.
It's very interesting that the OP doesn't recognize a government spending cut option. I guess I'll cast a 'balance budget' vote under protest...I don't mind higher taxes to get our house in order as long as an aggressive effort is made to reduce spending. Continued irresponsible spending and supporting it with higher taxes is pure lunacy IMO.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
go full communist... we are at a stage of knowledge and development that would allow a controlled economy to be implemented... each according to his needs... we know that all will contribute according to their ability... remove the profit motive and there's plenty of resource and output for all...

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
go full communist... we are at a stage of knowledge and development that would allow a controlled economy to be implemented... each according to his needs... we know that all will contribute according to their ability... remove the profit motive and there's plenty of resource and output for all...
What's a need?

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
What's a need?

the gov't will decide that... we have scientists who can evaluate and make the recommendations and gov't can implement... whatever is available after the needs of all are met can be apportioned amongst the populace...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubeless

What's a need?

I don't know but I have a hunch that when government does start providing for people's real needs it's going to be one cheap government to run.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
I don't know but I have a hunch that when government does start providing for people's real needs it's going to be one cheap government to run.
Exactly! ;)
(On second thought I'm not sure if we take this to mean completely opposite things...)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

you're kidding, right?

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
the gov't will decide that... we have scientists who can evaluate and make the recommendations and gov't can implement... whatever is available after the needs of all are met can be apportioned amongst the populace...
ROFL.

So basically "need" means absolutely nothing. Got it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Exactly! ;)
(On second thought I'm not sure if we take this to mean completely opposite things...)

What I mean is that what most folk call needs arise unconsciously out of the vacuum created by self hate. He who is turned against himself is in endless pain and because he won't allow himself to feel what he really feels, he seeks an infinite series of palliatives. These are what he calls needs.

Real needs, what a man needs who loves himself, are everywhere in infinite abundance. Those who know don't speak of the alpha and the omega for nothing. The awakened heart is a cornucopia of love that can never be emptied.

GaryJohnson

Jun 2, 2006
What I mean is that what most folk call needs arise unconsciously out of the vacuum created by self hate. He who is turned against himself is in endless pain and because he won't allow himself to feel what he really feels, he seeks an infinite series of palliatives. These are what he calls needs.

Real needs, what a man needs who loves himself, are everywhere in infinite abundance. Those who know don't speak of the alpha and the omega for nothing. The awakened heart is a cornucopia of love that can never be emptied.

Also: teach a man to fish and a bucket of fish will be your bountiful reward when you rob him.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
ROFL.

So basically "need" means absolutely nothing. Got it.

it means whatever it gets interpreted to mean, just like everything else that is determined via observation... if and when something new is observed it can be integrated into the theory if it is deemed relevant...

i'm no social scientist, but how about like with housing... from this point on no more inefficient, wasteful single family dwellings should be built... shared common areas will foster interaction and communication between people so that they gain a greater knowledge of and respect for each other... and costs for things like child care will be eliminated by the shared participation of the parents...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
it means whatever it gets interpreted to mean, just like everything else that is determined via observation... if and when something new is observed it can be integrated into the theory if it is deemed relevant...

i'm no social scientist, but how about like with housing... from this point on no more inefficient, wasteful single family dwellings should be built... shared common areas will foster interaction and communication between people so that they gain a greater knowledge of and respect for each other... and costs for things like child care will be eliminated by the shared participation of the parents...

So true and it worked well for the last 4 million years. In fact you didn't even have to think it up, it popped right out of your genes, though not like you intended.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Also: teach a man to fish and a bucket of fish will be your bountiful reward when you rob him.

Great idea but too much labor. Those who teach fishing know how to fish. Theft is for folk who hate themselves so much they are sure they can't catch anything.