*POLL* How much do you spend a month on groceries?

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Ok, I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I wanted a poll. If I'm going into one of my daily trances that occur after being at work for too long, and this has been polled before, just lock me up and smack me.

If you go out to eat more than once a week, post how much you spend in groceries and how much you go out to eat. (IE if you eat out for lunch every day, that affects your grocery bill)

edit: Remember, this is PER person, not the total bill.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
About $50 per person, so $100 a month. Probably another $60-$80 total eating out.

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Well its only my wife and I and we spend about $600 per month. We probably spend about $200 a month on going out to eat maybe 2-3 times a month. Although here in hawaii food is much more expensive.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I'm not sure exactly, avg is probably 350, but, it could sway either way. Between that and the 2-3x week eating out, our monthly food and acc cost seems to be about 6-800.

That's for 2 adults and one toddler. I could probably do better, but we are picky eaters and choose not too.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
the poll isnt going to mean anything. i spend maybe 300 on food alone a month, and when I was living with my ex maybe 400. You'd get $300 for the first example and $200 for the second. What exactly does that prove?

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Damn. I must be cheap. We buy lots of basic meats an vegetables, and stick to store brands as much as possible.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Some of you guys are nuts. Personally mrsskoorb and I spend probably $75/week, so $300/month. And divided by 2 I gave the answer of $150.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
edit mine: make it 100 to 150

BTW, You're in for a BIG surprise when you have kids... "take the number of kids and divide it by 2"
LMAO! Go to the grocery store, look at the price of formula and baby food.... calculate how much one of those little suckers can eat and drink in a month, then figure out the price.... WOW.

But, they are cheaper from about 3 yrs to maybe 9 years. I hope you end up with teenage boys. You'll go to the grocery store... pick up some really nice delmonico steaks or t-bone steaks for dinner the next night. You'll get home from work, looking forward to the steaks... "where'd they go??" "I had them for an after school snack, Dad."
Yeah, divide by 2. lmao

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Too much. I buy store brands as much as possible and always take the time to find out what gets me the most for my money, but I still ended up spending $90 last night. I hadn't been in about 2 1/2 weeks (other than to restock milk, basically, which I'll count into the estimation), when I spent about $70 or so. By the time you add up the two major trips each month plus the smaller restocking trips, I'd say it's about $200. It's just me eating and I probably spend about $10 per week eating out/grabbing a beer at the bar, etc.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Lucky
the poll isnt going to mean anything. i spend maybe 300 on food alone a month, and when I was living with my ex maybe 400. You'd get $300 for the first example and $200 for the second. What exactly does that prove?

That your ex eats less than you probably..... plus it gives me the average sampling from 2 different people, instead of just one.... more results = better.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
what the heck are you guys buying?
4 of us altogether two adults plus two small kids = 400 a month.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
About $100 every 2 weeks so about $200/mo. Then I eat lunch out at work every other day, another $100 or so there, same for the gf, so about $200/mo. Then we do go out to dinner 3 or 4 times a month at ~$100 a pop, so another say $350/mo. So about $750 for the 2 of us, split it down the middle, and it's $375 for me.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
A little off topic, but how much do you guys spend a month? A nice breakdown would be nice...

Maybe I should create a new thread for this..

And as for the poll about 200 bucks a month but I eat a lot of 39cent little juans burritos and a lot of ramen noodles...so my 200 is probably 400 bucks of normal food...

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: DrPizza

BTW, You're in for a BIG surprise when you have kids... "take the number of kids and divide it by 2"
LMAO! Go to the grocery store, look at the price of formula and baby food.... calculate how much one of those little suckers can eat and drink in a month, then figure out the price.... WOW.

But, they are cheaper from about 3 yrs to maybe 9 years. I hope you end up with teenage boys. You'll go to the grocery store... pick up some really nice delmonico steaks or t-bone steaks for dinner the next night. You'll get home from work, looking forward to the steaks... "where'd they go??" "I had them for an after school snack, Dad."
Yeah, divide by 2. lmao

Heh. You speak the truth.

:beer: <- Wait till their a little older.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: dman
Originally posted by: DrPizza

Yeah, divide by 2. lmao

Heh. You speak the truth.

:beer: <- Wait till their a little older.

I know how much I ate when I was a kid :) As much as my dad sometimes. I was just trying to come up with a round number. This isnt exactly a scientific measurement ;)

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
4 of us plus two small kids = 400 a month.

No, what are you buying? Or do you live on a farm?

Your grocery budget amounts to ~$.91/meal per person.

Used 3meals/day * 30.42days/mo for math.

er wait, that's for 4 people, you have 6, so it's even less... $.73. Man, I'm impressed, but scared if you invite me over for dinner...

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Spaghetti- 40 cents
Sauce- $1

Vege- $1

Loaf of Bread- 60 cents

Thats a 3 dollar meal that will feed 6.

50 cents each, and thats even supper.

Breakfast?

2 eggs per person 16cents
2 sausage 12 cents
1 glass of milk 15 cents
piece of toast/jam 6 cents?

49 cents for a hearty breakfast

I dont see these people starving :)

Lunch

Sandwich(bread, cheese meat)- 40c
crackers- 10c
apple- 20c

70 cents?

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001

woops, shoulda read the post before voting, I think a lot of people probably did the same as me. I voted $300 a month for me, my wife and daughter.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: bunker

woops, shoulda read the post before voting, I think a lot of people probably did the same as me. I voted $300 a month for me, my wife and daughter.

I voted for family too. 350/3 = $116ea I guess.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: dxkj
Spaghetti- 40 cents

What do you eat the other 29days. Seriously, it is possible to eat cheap, no doubt. But every day of every month... just not worth it to me. If I had to save money, I'd certainly consider it though.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: dman
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
4 of us plus two small kids = 400 a month.

No, what are you buying? Or do you live on a farm?

Your grocery budget amounts to ~$.91/meal per person.

Used 3meals/day * 30.42days/mo for math.

er wait, that's for 4 people, you have 6, so it's even less... $.73. Man, I'm impressed, but scared if you invite me over for dinner...

whoops i meant 4 altogether