[poll] Have you ever stolen anything?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Originally posted by: Scouzer
One time when I was a kid I accidentally stole a 2L bottle of pop. I was holding it in my hands and when my dad went to pay for his stuff I did not even think to put it on the counter.

I forced my dad to go back to the store and pay for it after I realized...

Umm that doesn't count either. Thanks for posting it though.

i voted no in the poll...

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
A few things, all well over 15 years ago.

Erasermate pens (several times)
A roadwork orange barrel w/ flashing orange light (with friends-one of whom kept the light), technically the barrel wasn't stolen as we dumped it a few miles away sans light
A flag on a pole that marks the hole from a golf course (cause it was there I guess)
A blue stapler from some random locker while at school (was there late and was curious if anyone else used the penny trick to keep lockers from locking all the way so that the combination didn't have to be used to open the locker. Discovered one that opened and there was a blue stapler w/ some text books. I didn't own a stapler and thought it would be useful to have one.)

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
I was in a fraternity in college and man did we steal some sh!t. Every year around homecoming the school would put all the sodas out for the next days game. The first year we took all the CO2 canisters for the fountain soda machine and the part that connects it to the actual machine. The next day during the game, they were selling bottled soda. The next year, the school got smart and only had bottled soda, but they weren't smart enough to lock the soda down. I think we took probably close 20+ cases of soda that night. We went and bought a bottle the next during the game.

Also, during pledging we stole all the school flags off of academic row the day before the Parents Day. Keep in mind that these flags were about 10-12 feet in the air, next to the light posts. The school was not happy. I still have my flag, and it waves proudly in my bedroom. I wish the bookstore sold that version of the school flag because i would go back and buy one, so that i can hang one that isn't torn (the one they DO sell is stupid).

I haven't really stolen since i graduated college. Those were some good times. I have many items to remember them by. My fav? Besides the school flag, is a 6-foot long highway sign that points one direction to 'Virginville' and the opposite direction to 'Allentown'. It will hang in my basement bar one day.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
LOL... about 17 years ago I went into a pizzeria, ordered a pizza, ate it quite leisurely and left without paying.

In my defence, I must say I was totally absent-minded; I had a lot of stuff on my mind at that age, and I had no idea that I left without paying until I got home and I realized I had too much money in my wallet... the funniest part is that, as I got up and prepared to leave, the waiter came over, and I just looked at him, smiled, and said "I'm done, thanks!"... he was confused and I was smiling quite politely, so he didn't say a word as i left the place.

Heh, I remember I even stayed in front of the restaurant for a few minutes, because I was waiting for the bus. I felt really bad about it afterwards, but never had the courage to go back to that place and say "sorry, I inadvertently left without paying the other day, here's the money..." the fact that I was pretty timid didn't help, either.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Oh yeah, I guess we did swipe a few signs in my teen years. Never any stop signs, though.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I stole a woman's heart one time, but then I felt bad so I dug her up and gave it back to her.

Cutterhead

Jul 13, 2005
Only thing I ever stole was cigarettes.... only because I was too young to buy them :laugh:

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
So taking office supplies from work doesn't count?

What about sitting at your desk and neffing on ATOT when you're being paid to work?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Not that I can remember. We ate a lot of free food when I worked at McDonald's, and I don't think that we were actually entitled to it. Our managers never minded.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I once shoplifted a Rice Krispy Treat from a convenience store when I was a kid.

The store got their revenge by overcharging me for practically everything once I went legit and started paying for everything I got there, and have continued to do so for past 20 years or so!

Come to think of it.... who's really getting robbed here? :)

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Shoplifting no. Too afraid of getting caught and I never needed anything that badly.

Downloading yes.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
This thread reminds me of my "friend" Ronnie. Ronnie was the same age as me and grew up on the same street as me so I knew him even before kindergarten and we were in classes all the way through school. Ronnie was a thief. I can't say I ever remember him holding down a job.
It seemed like one summer I saw him driving a dozen different cars, when he did offer to give me a ride there was always a screw driver sticking out of the ignition. My favorite story is the one where I saw the same window air conditioner sitting on the floor of his garage on 4 different occasions after he had told me just a week before, each time, that he had sold it. Yep, he would sell you that air conditioner and then offer to help you install it. All the time he was casing the joint and making it easy to re-steal.

Ronnie was once contracted by another "friend" to get him some doors for his Ford van. Sure enough, about an hour later he was back with the doors. When we asked how he got them so fast, he said they were from a van 3 blocks over. The people were having a card party and Ronnie went up to the house on a busy street and just unscrewed the doors. I still remember driving by the house 3 hours later and there sat the van in a well lit driveway, minus the doors, and you could still see the people playing cards through the window. I always wondered what their drive home was like.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Shoplift, nope. But I've stolen my fair share of office supplies from work.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: AmpedSilence
I was in a fraternity in college and man did we steal some sh!t. Every year around homecoming the school would put all the sodas out for the next days game. The first year we took all the CO2 canisters for the fountain soda machine and the part that connects it to the actual machine. The next day during the game, they were selling bottled soda. The next year, the school got smart and only had bottled soda, but they weren't smart enough to lock the soda down. I think we took probably close 20+ cases of soda that night. We went and bought a bottle the next during the game.

Also, during pledging we stole all the school flags off of academic row the day before the Parents Day. Keep in mind that these flags were about 10-12 feet in the air, next to the light posts. The school was not happy. I still have my flag, and it waves proudly in my bedroom. I wish the bookstore sold that version of the school flag because i would go back and buy one, so that i can hang one that isn't torn (the one they DO sell is stupid).

I haven't really stolen since i graduated college. Those were some good times. I have many items to remember them by. My fav? Besides the school flag, is a 6-foot long highway sign that points one direction to 'Virginville' and the opposite direction to 'Allentown'. It will hang in my basement bar one day.

:roll: @ being proud of this. What a dumbass.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
No, but I have had a graphing calculator stolen from me. It must have been 4 years ago, and I'm still irritated, spending $100 on a tool like that and then having it stolen is pretty lame.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yea, some shoplifting when I was a teen, back in the days before electronic monitoring
and cameras it was easy. Also one day the cig. machine at a restaurant I worked at stuck
in the "dispense" mode, just pull a knob and get a pack! or more! soon, the whole place
found out about it and were on it like a school of hungry piranha, the machine was emptied
of like 300 packs in 20 minutes...

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Stole a golf cart when I was in college, but I left it on the college president's porch.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I stole a yo-yo from an annoying kid in 3rd grade, but that's the only occasion of thievery I can remember.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: purbeast0
no on one ATOT has ever stolen ... anything.

we also all have jobs making over $100K ... since we were 25.

we also all never EVER speed on the highway when driving.

we all also have very high standards and would only bang a chick as hot as Jessica Alba.

we also never have pirated any software, ever.

/fixed