Poll: GT300 VS. HD5870

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: dguy6789
The limitation on the 5870 is most certainly memory bandwidth. Memory bandwidth is the only category in which the 5870 does not outclass the 4870x2 in.

Radeon HD 5870:

Pixel Fill Rate: 27200 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 68000 MTexels/sec
Flops: 2720 GFLOPS
Memory Bandwidth: 153.6GB/sec

Radeon HD 4870x2:

Pixel Fill Rate: 24000 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 60000 MTexels/sec
Flops: 2400 GFLOPS
Memory Bandwidth: 230.4GB/sec

I would think this theory would be fairly easy to test and either prove or disprove by anyone who has the 5870 in hand.

Just underclock the memory. Do stock, underlocked mem by 10-15%, underclocked mem by 20-30%, and plot the benchmark data.

If you get a linear line with nice R^2 and the slope is nice and large (slope of 1 on a % bandwidth delta versus % fps delta would be perfect) then you can easily conclude the performance would be improved by having higher bandwidth above stock.

What is interesting is that no one seems to have done this test in their reviews yet (or did I miss it?).

What would be even more interesting is if the data proved out this theory as surely AMD would have tested this and determined whether or not bandwidth was really going to be the limitation of the 5870 well before the launch. So why would they artificially handicap the 5870 by knowingly starving it of bandwidth? I don't think we should assume ignorance on their part here.

Firingsquad ran some tests along this line of thought:

OC?ing the graphics core delivered a performance improvement of 4-5% for the 5870 in CoD. In comparison, OC?ing the memory to 1330MHz improved performance by up to 2%.

http://firingsquad.com/hardwar...overclocking/page3.asp

If you can overclock the GPU cores and see a performance improvement that exceeds that which comes from increasing the memory clocks then that is about as close to proof you are going to get that your compute system is not memory bandwidth constrained.

So why does a 5870 not deliver 2X the performance of a 4870 despite having twice the compute units? Its not because of bandwidth, which is exactly what AMD stated from the beginning and who should know better than them? That leaves two contenders - immature drivers or actual bottleneck in the hardware itself (not enough dispatchers, etc).

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
That's very interesting. I think it's very safe to say that the 5870 is not memory bandwidth limited based on the article. One can only hope the limitation is software and not hardware as that means free performance improvements over time.

Beanie46

Feb 16, 2009
Well, the GT300 better be about 2X as fast as the 5870 given its reputed retail price of $579.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Beanie46
Well, the GT300 better be about 2X as fast as the 5870 given its reputed retail price of $579.

Let's hope she is, then we'll see the 5870 price sliding gently to 200-250$, just the way we like it. :)
Even if it proves to be slower then 5870 and I seriously doubt it will happen, since now Nvidia it's forging that card as hard as possible to make it faster, then I'll probably have a 200$ Nvidia piece for me. Anyway your take it, it's a win win situation. But we really need those cards to be launched already.

niceguy1234

Mar 6, 2009
Remember when 8800GTX first came out in 2006, it cost over $600. Now the new 5870 is only $379, so it is relatively cheap. If you are willing to $600 for the 8800GTX at that time, there is no reason that you don't want the 5870 now.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: error8

Let's hope she is, then we'll see the 5870 price sliding gently to 200-250$, just the way we like it. :)
Even if it proves to be slower then 5870 and I seriously doubt it will happen, since now Nvidia it's forging that card as hard as possible to make it faster, then I'll probably have a 200$ Nvidia piece for me. Anyway your take it, it's a win win situation. But we really need those cards to be launched already.

I'm not a fan of paying high prices for video cards, but if ATI\AMD does not start making money soon they will be out of business by the end of next year.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

If that price is correct (no idea if it is or is not) then it better be a good deal faster. Some Nvidia fans feel that the 5870 doesn't justify it's $379 pricetag, so the GT300 better fly if it's $579. I guess we'll find out what 'out of the ordinary performance' means.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Wreckage

I'm not a fan of paying high prices for video cards, but if ATI\AMD does not start making money soon they will be out of business by the end of next year.

Don't worry about that, it's not going to happen.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007

Yes and nvidia just went out of business last week, you didn't hear?
:thumbsdown:

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

They can't operate at a loss forever.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Link?

Originally posted by: niceguy1234
Nvidia fanboys will not satisfy even if 5870 is at $100 now. They only buy Nvidia.

Cant you say that about any fanboy, or would this be exclusive to nV fanboys only?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007

They can't operate at a loss forever.

Please, give me a break with all this financial mambo jumbo. If they're bleeding money all over the place, they would have gone bankrupt months ago.They won enough money out of the 48XX series so they were able to release the first dx 11 card on the market. That just doesn't sound like a company that is looooosing money, is it?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Please, give me a break with all this financial mambo jumbo. If they're bleeding money all over the place, they would have gone bankrupt months ago.They won enough money out of the 48XX series so they were able to release the first dx 11 card on the market. That just doesn't sound like a company that is looooosing money, is it?

The numbers dont lie, they lost money over the last year, as has nV. They have quarters where they make money, they have quarters where they lose money. It averages out to a loss. IDC posted the numbers in a recent thread.

The reason they did not go bankrupt months ago was because a large Arab cash infusion when they spun off GF.

If they can sell enough cards and be able to keep a higher price-point, I see good chance for profit for them. If they start selling their flagship for $200 again, I dont see them making money.

A big wildcard is the economy. Hopefully it comes back and both companies prosper.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

Actually no. Their graphics business is not making any money either. They are losing millions in fact.

AMD has been able to stay alive a little longer by selling off pieces of itself (like its foundries).

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Neither NV nor AMD's graphics division have been operating at unsustainable ASP and gross margins levels for the past two years (give or take).

They need higher ASP's or lower costs, whatever it takes to get the gross margins up.

Its not necessarily about them going bankrupt, on the road to that destination are a few other milestones, most discouraging for us (the enthusiast) are the milestones that involve sweeping/drastic cutbacks in R&D for future products as they try and make today's cashflow off of selling today's products cover all the bills (which includes the bill for developing tomorrow's products).

We do NOT want tomorrow's products to be developed in a resource-anemic environment, as that will mean tomorrow's products are going to be scaled back in scope and aggressiveness as those R&D dollars get spread thinner and thinner.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: akugami

Games coming soon with DX11 support I don't know the exact number of PhysX hardware accelerated games but DX11 will equal, or surpass, the number of PhysX hardware accelerated games in it's first year of availability. DX11 is coming. It's not here now, it's not even relevant yet and likely won't be relevant until 2011 but it's coming.
Many of those say TBA. Either way still none.

Bolded the relevant statement for you. Before the first half of 2010 is done, in other words six months of public availability, DX11 will have more games that utilize it than PhysX. How many games did PhysX have after it's first year of availability? I'm counting from when nVidia purchased it and released drivers for it's Geforce series? I think it was one or two at best or was it zero? I'm not really sure but considering that there will be probably 2x as many DX11 games in it's first six months of availability compared to nVidia GPU PhysX's first year of availability means that DX11 is already a more relevant feature than PhysX. Granted both are still irrelevant to general gamers at this time.

Here's a list of actual games that utilize http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1429094 Here's another http://physxinfo.com/data/vreview.html The second seems to be from a site dedicated to PhysX. The list of actual games utilizing GPU PhysX seems...shall we say minuscule. If there's a better list, link it and not one that does software PhysX cause anyone can again manipulate numbers and show software Havok based games. Unless you're trying to claim iPod games feature GPU PhysX acceleration.

DX11 is more of a sure thing than PhysX.
Eventually maybe, but not for years.

PhysX can still be said to be irrelevant and won't be for years.

There has been more than one comment on the 20% numbers you claim between the GTX285 and Radeon 5870. It just shows your bias more than ever.
My bias? I did not write the article or generate the graph. Nor did I run any of the benchmarks the site used to get to that number.

Yes. Your bias. You cherry picked those charts based solely on the fact that they show situations where the 5870 is not as strong. You did that on purpose to show the 5870 as being weak. I have already highlighted, which you conveniently ignore, situations where I can show the 5870 to be twice as powerful as a GTX 295, which is two nVidia GPU's in a single card configuration. There are many situations where the 5870 performs an average of 35% better than the GTX 285.

That's not considering how some have found inconsistencies that scream "fake data" in those charts.

Answer this question. Would it be fair to now post in every forum that the 5870 is twice as powerful as a GTX 295? How would this be different from your cherry picking of results to show the 5870 in an unflattering light?

Bottom line, the Radeon 5870 is a solid upgrade vs the 4870 and GTX 285.
I disagree 100%.

Considering your past history of manipulating the facts, should anyone be surprised you disagree 100%?

Originally posted by: x3sphere
I have a feeling the GT300 will surprise us. To what extent who knows but I'm thinking along the lines of the 7XXX to 8800GTX jump, so around 30-40 percent performance increase over the 5870. That's why I'm not jumping on a 5870 just yet. By the way, the GT300 is said to be based on a completely new architecture so this kind of performance jump is definitely within the realm of possibility.

Well, I'm waiting for the GT300 cores before making a purchasing decision. Granted my decision is leaning towards skipping this gen of video cards. What's scary is that nVidia has generally trumpeted their cards when they have something great to show.

Considering the positive, not spectacular but positive nonetheless, buzz the 5870 has generated it's surprising we haven't heard some tidbits on the GT300. nVidia generally has great marketing and it would make sense to put out some "leaked" preliminary results to put a damper on ATI's 5870.

Pure speculation time but this can only mean that there is a problem with yield. Whether from TSMC's side or nVidia's design, there is a problem with yield. The other major possibility is that the GT300 is not performing as well as nVidia would like so they really have nothing to show and pure speculation is better than proof that the GT300 is not a killer product. The third possibility is things are all rosey, nVidia has a killer GPU on it's hand but in a show of altruism they are keeping silent so that ATI can sell as many cards as possible before nVidia crushes them. Yeah...like that'd happen.

@IDC, Thanks for the link. Interesting results.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
IM starting to think GT300 (GF100 Fermi) is going to be really fast, but it won't be here until Christmas.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
The emphasis on hyping Physx and other fluff on enthusiast sites. The lack of approved "leaks" showing best case gaming performance vs the 5870.

That, and both nv and ati are running into power limitations. You can only do so much computing on the same power budget.

My hope of GT300 outperforming the equivalent 5 series cards by 30% is waning rapidly.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I personally expect the GT300 to be the better performer, but at a higher cost as well (somewhat similar to last round). It should be faster since it's coming out after the 5800 series. Similar performance with a later release is not exactly a good thing.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Storm
It should be faster since it's coming out after the 5800 series. Similar performance with a later release is not exactly a good thing.

The 4800 series came out after the GTX2xx series.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Storm
It should be faster since it's coming out after the 5800 series. Similar performance with a later release is not exactly a good thing.

The 4800 series came out after the GTX2xx series.

By how long, a week? If the GT300 launches in the very near future, you could say it came out soon enough after the 58x0 to not matter. If it's not out for 6 more months, I think most of us would hope it is faster... though not always the case, FX5800, Radeon 2900XT.