Poll: FBI

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Should the FBI be dismantled and the law enforcment duties they handle be distributed among the agencies that specialize. The FBI was chartered to fight the Mafia in the early part of this century and was run by a very corrupt man who kept files on nearly every popular figure to use against them. Has that corruption left and can the FBI be trusted or is a complete reworking of department needed by dismantling it into different branchs and decentralizing of it's powers?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I think ALL domestic enforcement should be local or done by the states. Boy have we gotton far away from that.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Carbonyl
I think ALL domestic enforcement should be local or done by the states. Boy have we gotton far away from that.

The how do we handle crimes that cross state lines or crimes against the goverment (i.e., social security fraud or something)?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: rudder

The how do we handle crimes that cross state lines or crimes against the goverment (i.e., social security fraud or something)?

We don't. I should say what cross state lines crime? And ss fraud would'nt be a problem of it was'nt Federalized.

Zrom999

Banned
Apr 13, 2003

When you go for a drive and some dumb hick local cop pulls you over, bust your tail light and tosses your arse in jail until you pay this unreasonable fine you'll want Federal Law Enforcement.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Should the US have a national police force? yes.
Should the FBI be modeled after the KGB no!
Should the FBI allowed to be ran like Hover ran it? NO!

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
How about getting rid of the ATF and fold their respons.into the FBI. I recall when Clinton was running for pres.he said he wanted to do dat.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Should the FBI be dismantled?

Absolutely not. It plays a key role that no other agency is equipped to handle. Yes, the FBI has problems. Like any other large organization, it has some bad apples. That's no reason to throw out the baby with the bath water.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: rudder

We don't. I should say what cross state lines crime? And ss fraud would'nt be a problem of it was'nt Federalized.

kidnapping for one. I guess by your logic without the FBI a person can kidnap someone in Califronia, drive to Nevada, and be safe, since there was no crime commited in Nevada.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Should the FBI be dismantled?

Absolutely not. It plays a key role that no other agency is equipped to handle. Yes, the FBI has problems. Like any other large organization, it has some bad apples. That's no reason to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Let me clarify, in my original question I never said the tasks the FBI accomplishes should be abolished. I said that the group should be dismantled and seperated into distinct areas of enforcement. This would decentralize the power inherient in the FBI and serve to prevent abuse. The history of abuse at that agency is tremendous and it extends well beyond Hoover. By decentralizing the power and spreading it between numerous agencies the ability for that power to corrupt would be greatly diminished.

naddicott

Jul 3, 2002
I would be a lot happier if the issues raised in this NYT article were properly resolved. The snooty "we don't need those newfangled computer thingies to solve crime" attitude held by entrenched FBI officials was (is?) a severe embarassment. They should be using taxpayer money earmarked for IT improvement for the purposes Congress intends the money for, not insubordinately redirecting it to hire additional field agents (if we need more field agents - the FBI should make the case for that line-item increase to congress and get the money the right way).

If anyone has seen articles with a progress report on the FBI and their IT infrastructure, I'd be interested in seeing where the FBI stand now on that front.

[edit: something of an update from February of this year - the problem is not only the inadequate IT infrastructure but the lack of emphasis on proper training on how to use the existing IT infrastructure]