*POLL* drivers license testing for older people?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I even think there shoul dbe a driving test and not just a written one once you hit a certain age. Your reflexes slow down or stop and other things that make some older people a serious hazard on the road.

Plus I don't like driving 10mph under the limit every tim eI'm behind some old "Blue-Hair"

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: TwinkleToes77
I think EVERYONE should be retested every 10 years no matter what age you are.
AGREED!!!! and these tests need to be harder then a few lane changes, it's time to parallel park. When I took my test I had to go down broadway, cross 5 lines of traffic, parallel park in Down town the whole 9 yards, I hear about these people who went out to Thornton and they said they drove 2 blocks TWO!!!!!!! turned around parked in a normal lot and where done :| :| :| That facility should burn to the GROUND!!!!!!

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
Originally posted by: LAUST
41 to 1 and I'm positive the numbers would be in favor not only here, I know many people infavor of this (they are all under 60 though) ;)

How come our state Reps don't know this is what we want? the system here is a fuggin joke.

I think because this borders on the line of age discrimination. Therefore they have to find a way to skirt around it first. :)

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
41 to 1 and I'm positive the numbers would be in favor not only here, I know many people infavor of this (they are all under 60 though) ;)

How come our state Reps don't know this is what we want? the system here is a fuggin joke.

...considering a lot of voters are OLD... i dont think they want to do that... :D

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
AGREED!!!! and these tests need to be harder then a few lane changes, it's time to parallel park. When I took my test I had to go down broadway, cross 5 lines of traffic, parallel park in Down town the whole 9 yards, I hear about these people who went out to Thornton and they said they drove 2 blocks TWO!!!!!!! turned around parked in a normal lot and where done :| :| :| That facility should burn to the GROUND!!!!!!

When I took my test I had to drive through a busy mall parking lot plus all the normal lane changes, parallel parking, k-turn.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

Even the very elderly tend to be more politically active than young adults, I think. They go to the polls by the busload, especially when an issue like this becomes hot.

Not to mention a lot of politicians are usually pretty long in the tooth themselves (less so at the state level than federal, though, I would think).

I'd like the person who voted against this to show some spine and 'fess up. :p

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Balt

Even the very elderly tend to be more politically active than young adults, I think. They go to the polls by the busload, especially when an issue like this becomes hot.

Not to mention a lot of politicians are usually pretty long in the tooth themselves (less so at the state level than federal, though, I would think).

It's time the young and middle aged stood up to these fogies and sat them in their wheelchairs!!! ;)

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Balt

yeah me too :)

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001

When I took my test I had to drive through a busy mall parking lot plus all the normal lane changes, parallel parking, k-turn.

what is a k-turn? or did you mean u-turn?

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Most lopsided poll results ever.

so are you the person that voted no? otherwise, why would you say that? this is exactly how the results should look.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

3 point turn probably...

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
Originally posted by: bR

3 point turn probably...

Yep a 3point turn... a K :)

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

Yep a 3point turn... a K :)

oh yeah? well i had to do a

LWQITU turn ;)
I had a 69 3/4 ton truck back then, ALL my turns were K's... Russian style style LOL ;)

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: bR
I say make our tests like Germany! :evil:

I second that. It's f'ing hard to get a license in Germany.

Screw the old people test, everyone one should get retested like every 5 years or so. Pretty much everyone drives terrible. (Except me of course)

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
This poll flies in the face of evidence that indicates younger drivers are involved in far more accidents than elderly drivers.
I think there should be mandatory skills testing, along with written tests all the way along the driver's lifetime of driving. We forget things such as "coming to a complete stop when pedestrians are in a crosswalk" so easily and negative driving habits can be addressed at that time.
Driving is a learned skill, not an instinctive one.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
- driving tests need to be more strict for young people... so that the testbed isn't real world experience right off the bat.

- hell yes on testing old people's ability to make decisions and have proper reflexes and vision. I feared for when my grandfather drove us around when we were younger. He would make left turns across intersections when there obviously wasn't enough time to beat the oncoming car. Guess which side would be exposed ?! Not his! Hooooonnnnnkkkkk!!!! No visual/emotional reaction from him. WTF is wrong with that picture ?! Do they even realize ?

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
I have a funny idea.

Senior citizens who get retested should be retested by 16 year old's.

At the same time, the 16 year old's are tested by senior citizens!

That way all the punks and old farts will be off the road!

:evil:

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I voted no, unless they are going to make a retest for all ages. There is no reason to discriminate against old people over any other age, sex, or racial group. So unless I see proof that they are involved in or cause more accidents I would say they are the same as every other group of poeple. A few old people make the whole group look bad. A few ricers make that whole group look bad. Retest all or nothing I say.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Staley8
I voted no, unless they are going to make a retest for all ages. There is no reason to discriminate against old people over any other age, sex, or racial group. So unless I see proof that they are involved in or cause more accidents I would say they are the same as every other group of poeple. A few old people make the whole group look bad. A few ricers make that whole group look bad. Retest all or nothing I say.

are you stupid? i will answer for you: yes.

did anyone in this thread say we should ONLY test old people? NO. i stated a specific group, but did not limit it to them. you tainted the results with your blatant and utter stupidity.