*POLL* drivers license testing for older people?

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
edit: if you vote no, PLEASE give a reason.

everyone has to take a test to get their drivers license at age 16 (or whatever age your state requires, but generally it is 16). although this test is very easy, it can still eliminate the REALLY stupid people from driving.

why dont we test older people as well? im not talking 45-50...i mean OLD...like bleep...(i think that is his handle anyway)

seriously, wouldnt the road be safer if everyone over age 65 (or something in this area) were required to take a driving test? i generally try to be a pretty tolerant person, but seriously three or four times a month i avoid a major accident which would be caused by an older person by no more than a few pubic hairs.

the way the lanes are setup in dallas makes it very hard to turn left out of any street that does not have a stop light. most people can judge whether or not to pull out and sit in the lanes of traffic based on how far away the next group is, but i ALWAYS see old ladies in my neighborhood pull out in front of people, block 2 lanes of traffic, and sit there until there is absolutely NO ONE coming in any of the 3 lanes they can turn in to. OMG it is so frustrating.

dont call me an insensitive prick or anything...i definitely dont think old people suck, and i feel sorry for the scammed grandma in the other thread...i am just tired of that kinda crap when i am driving.

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
I think across the board that driving tests are too easy. Slow driving grannies and riced out teens are both vehicular time bombs; not to mention the hordes of idiots who don't know how to park, merge, change langes, or any of the other day-to-day driving tasks one might encounter on the road.

-geoff

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
can someone at least reply to this to bump it or something? i would like to get the morning, afternoon, and evening shift to chime in.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: ggavinmoss
I think across the board that driving tests are too easy. Slow driving grannies and riced out teens are both vehicular time bombs; not to mention the hordes of idiots who don't know how to park, merge, change langes, or any of the other day-to-day driving tasks one might encounter on the road.

-geoff

Agreed. But I doubt that will ever get realized... they would lose too much $$$.

Plus having everyone go through a more difficult test will probably avoid age discrimination accusations.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Our entire driver testing and education system needs to be fixed. Most drivers on the road have no idea what they are doing, don't follow the basic rules of the road, and foolishly believe that the only aspect of safety is to drive at or below the speed limit. God forbid any of them ever lose control of their vehicle, as accident-avoidance and recovery are crucial aspects of driving that 99% of all drivers in the US think is somehow wrong to actually know how to do.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
the current driving test iS WAYYYY too easy. i think if it was where it should be, half of the current drivers woud lose their license.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: bR
Originally posted by: ggavinmoss

-geoff

Agreed. But I doubt that will ever get realized... they would lose too much $$$.

Plus having everyone go through a more difficult test will probably avoid age discrimination accusations.

yeah that is a good point.

they should pick a single city or a state to try a newer, harder test. they could test all of the current drivers, no matter their age and experience, and if/when a lot of them fail, record the number of accidents for that time span.

Buttzilla

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
to be fair...whatever age group that causes most accidents should be tested ever year. i don't hear old people causing too much accidents annually.

but at the same time, i think it should be mandatory that the senior of senior's should be test.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I find it amusing how some gray hairs driving 15-30 miles below the speed limit still can't keep their car in their own f'ing lane.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I support this in principle, not just for old people, but for everyone every few years.

However, in practice it would be disastrous. Until the average state DMV becomes far more efficient, it would never work.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
I support this in principle, not just for old people, but for everyone every few years.

However, in practice it would be disastrous. Until the average state DMV becomes far more efficient, it would never work.

yeah, that does pose a problem, but i was just asking if everyone would approve of such a test. i also agree that everyone should be tested every few years, but i was easing my way into that. that will be the next poll.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Once you get your senior citizens card you should have a vision and driving test every 2 years from that point. Have a special facility just for them.

Sorry but they are a damn danger to the rest of us and they buy those bigass cars to keep themselves safe. I'm glad they get to live for their mistakes and kill the person they hit in a little Civic.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: LAUST
Once you get your senior citizens card you should have a vision and driving test every 2 years from that point. Have a special facility just for them.

Sorry but they are a damn danger to the rest of us and they buy those bigass cars to keep themselves safe. I'm glad they get to live for their mistakes and kill the person they hit in a little Civic.

yeah i can also agree with this. they buy tanks, but they cant drive them. this may sound really mean, but why should old people buy big cars when they will more than likely kill someone younger in a smaller car?

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
As long as it doesn't significantly raise licensing/plate fees for us from the MVA.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: AvesPKS
As long as it doesn't significantly raise licensing/plate fees for us from the MVA.

i dont think it would

WHO the hell voted NO! reveal yourself you POS.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
I think EVERYONE should be retested every 10 years no matter what age you are. And then every 2-3 years after 65 or something.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
41 to 1 and I'm positive the numbers would be in favor not only here, I know many people infavor of this (they are all under 60 though) ;)

How come our state Reps don't know this is what we want? the system here is a fuggin joke.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I vote yes, but I understand why they don't do it, old people need to get around just as do young people, for example, my grandpa has recently had 2 heart attacks and is in my book in no shape to drive anymore, but my grandma has never driven, doesn't know how to and if even if she did, she's worse off physically and mently than my grandpa, so when they need to do their daily task such as getting drugs, food, mail, etc.. they HAVE to due to no other choice, for them to hire someone to help with these kind of things would not be an option simply because they have no income and now way to pay for that added expense, it is a known issue to the DMV this I am sure of, but they know that they cannot simply revoke countless old persons ability/right to drive, its a big old catch 22.