Poll: Does your Cocmast throttle torrents yet?

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
As you know they started to throttle their so-called 'unlimited internet' for torrent traffic last fall.

Sure enough, mine got hit with the stick as well. It just suddenly started one day last month. All my torrents are stuck at 30kb/sec collectively.

<-- Boston, MA

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
I hadn't downloaded anything in awhile, but I tried downloading a game demo yesterday, and sure enough, I was being throttled at 30/k. I tried using protocol encryption and that didn't help anything. This does not please me at all.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: Auryg
Does encrypting help?

I don't think so. I did some amateur research for couple hours to get around this throttling and ppl report that none of them seem to work including encrypting traffic.

I think you're pretty much screwed.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: Slick5150
I hadn't downloaded anything in awhile, but I tried downloading a game demo yesterday, and sure enough, I was being throttled at 30/k. I tried using protocol encryption and that didn't help anything. This does not please me at all.

where are at?

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
I haven't been hit yet. I'm not telling you which city, just in case Comtard is reading this.

:roll: Yeah, Comcast's research dept is counting on ATOT for the next hit.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Not sure. I haven't been downloading torrents until recently. I normally don't pull much down like I did 3 years ago when I first tried.

I honestly don't see a problem with it because p2p is very taxing on any network. If they didn't throttle it, YOU might not even be able to get on the network. It's amazing to see the number of connections my router jumps to when I connect with the default settings on these programs.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
my cable ISP (Rogers) tried that for nearly a year. Encryption helped but not dramatically with their packet shaping.

things are back to normal now.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
The reason that they are still able to shape torrent traffic is that it takes both torrent client to understand encryption in order to work.

Many people are using older BT clients that does not support encryption, and your BT client will fall back to unencrypted mode if it can not negotiate an encrypted connection, which that connection will fall right into the ISP's packet shaper.
You can disable the fallback mode in your BT client, however you will lose out on the bandwidth provided by the seeders that are running the older (no encryption support) client. So it is a catch-22.

MidasKnight

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2004
Comcast has here ... I've used torrents a couple times in the past but but don't have any need to. The upside for my situation is I was able to get Verizon FiOS back in Oct/07 and am getting FiOS TV next week. So goodbye Comcast on everything ;)

Umberger

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2005
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
I haven't been hit yet. I'm not telling you which city, just in case Comtard is reading this.

...profile says Atlanta? ... I'd avoid a career in espionage if I were you.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
I'm not sure what this is, after torrent finishes, it cant' seed at all, 0 kb up. Otherwise it works ok. Location:Spokane, WA

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I downloaded Mythbuntu via bit torrent and got 600KB/Sec+ the whole time.
I don't know what the upload speed was though. I don't really use torrents for anything other than the ocassional linux distro or for some software patches.