POLL: Does TRANCE Music Suck?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: OREOSpeedwagon
Originally posted by: stormbv
I have no clue what Trance music is.

its goes something like this:

thump thump thump thump thump buzz thump thump thump thump buzz ticaticaticatica thump thump thump thump buzz ticaticaticatica BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM psssssss (misc electronic effects) t...h...u...m..p THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP BUZZ

LMAO!! Trance sucks d!ck. Only thing worse than Trance is Rap and Country.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Like any genre, some of it really blows, and some of it kicks ass. But generally, I like a lot of it. :)

Lichee

Jan 2, 2001
you guys just dont have an ear for it.

besides, i cant believe you people would say something "sucks". whatever happened to the "to each his/her own" phrase that was mentioned?:confused:

btw, stuff that came out in '00 or '01 differs from the '02 and '03 stuff by far. people that say they dont listen to it because it is a "been there done that" sorta thing should listen to what is hot now. either that or get some japanese trance or what not. im sure THAT sort of trance will spike your appeal.

look up any trance versions of songs by:
Ayumi Hamasaki
ie:
Far Away (Rank 1 mix)
M (Above & Beyond remix)

Aboroth

Feb 16, 2000
I have been into electronic music for a long time, and I have always hated listening to trance.

Maybe I would like it if I was constantly on acid.

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Originally posted by: dparker
Originally posted by: OREOSpeedwagon
Originally posted by: stormbv
I have no clue what Trance music is.

its goes something like this:

thump thump thump thump thump buzz thump thump thump thump buzz ticaticaticatica thump thump thump thump buzz ticaticaticatica BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM psssssss (misc electronic effects) t...h...u...m..p THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP BUZZ

Hahahahahahahah lmao. I don't know why but I find that hilarious! I needed a new sig. :)

w00t! :beer::D

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Lichee
you guys just dont have an ear for it.

besides, i cant believe you people would say something "sucks". whatever happened to the "to each his/her own" phrase that was mentioned?:confused:

btw, stuff that came out in '00 or '01 differs from the '02 and '03 stuff by far. people that say they dont listen to it because it is a "been there done that" sorta thing should listen to what is hot now. either that or get some japanese trance or what not. im sure THAT sort of trance will spike your appeal.

look up any trance versions of songs by:
Ayumi Hamasaki
ie:
Far Away (Rank 1 mix)
M (Above & Beyond remix)

ATers rip on anything that's trendy basically. :p They like to think they're better than trendy people or something. They have that mentality atleast.

I've already listened to Japanese trance. Ayumi is a been there, done that also. She has some good nontrance songs also, but I can only take so much of her high pitched, shrill, nasal voice. :p

I've been getting back into house/club, LA stations play from clubs and stuff on weekends and it sounds good.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
First, develop your own opinion instead of trying to figure out what you like via ATOT polls and threads.

I usually dig 70s and 80s rock, but I have been getting into Trance more and more.

I often leave that Digitally Imported sight up to listen to some stuff while I surf the net.

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
yeah, man, like trance, like sucks man, like totally sucks man, sucks hardcore man, oh yeah, sucks man, oh yeah.

p.s. i suck cocks.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n
yeah, man, like trance, like sucks man, like totally sucks man, sucks hardcore man, oh yeah, sucks man, oh yeah.

p.s. i suck cocks.

:Q:Q:Q

:D:D

<---been enjoying electronic music since the early 90's and loves Trance. :)

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

p.s. i suck cocks.

YGPM!!!

edit: joking of course :beer:

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Remember guys, DJ sammy is exactly the same as infected mushroom because they both play trance! oh YEAH! :p

Well....DUH! :p

:beer:

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Ok, I just download some Paul Oakenfold and Ayumi Hamasaki stuff and I'm not impressed. I must say the songs all sound very, very similar. If I was in a club, maybe, but just listening to? Not for me. :p

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Ok, I just download some Paul Oakenfold and Ayumi Hamasaki stuff and I'm not impressed. I must say the songs all sound very, very similar. If I was in a club, maybe, but just listening to? Not for me. :p

Ok, now go and download some jungle or d&b before you write off electronic music. Go to Drum and Bass Arena and Bassdrive and come to the dark side :)

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: nan0bug

Ok, now go and download some jungle or d&b before you write off electronic music. Go to Drum and Bass Arena and Bassdrive and come to the dark side :)

If its nothing but a beat I'm not interested. :)

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001

Try listening to Sasha and Digweed - Northern Exposure (Disc One)
:Q

or if you are too lazy to listen to a 80 minute mix, try this song:
Sarah McLachlan - Remixed - 05 - Silence (DJ Ti&euml;sto's in Search of Sunrise Remix)

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
The easiest way to describe it would be to say trance is the 'pop' of electronic music. Drum and Bass is more like the heavy metal of electronic music :) Its darker, faster, more mentally engaging. Trance hit its peak and hasn't evolved much since, Drum and Bass is always pushing forward with a constantly fresh blend of old and new.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

Try listening to Sasha and Digweed - Northern Exposure (Disc One)
:Q

or if you are too lazy to listen to a 80 minute mix, try this song:
Sarah McLachlan - Remixed - 05 - Silence (DJ Ti&euml;sto's in Search of Sunrise Remix)

Listened to the Sarah McLachlan and I still don't like it. Now you try:
Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People - 06 - Ratts of the Capital
That's some good stuff, :cool:

Palek

Jun 20, 2001
I have been in love with trance ever since I listened to an old "Re-Activate" double CD 6 years ago. Then I discovered BT, the king of trance, and I basically had to get all his albums and anything else he has touched. People say trance has been done to death and it cannot offer anything new anymore. Well, they should listen to his albums in the order of their release and see how much he has changed his music over the years. He still plays trance, but his latest album is very different from his first.

Sure, a lot of trance musicians out there just keep regurgitating old loops and instruments, but isn't that the same with every genre? I mean, how many "grunge" (or whatever they call themselves) bands are out there right now that sound exactly like Pearl Jam? And how many rap artists have a truly unique style? You could pick any genre and say it has been done to death, but that would be incredibly ignorant. You just have to find the real gems among a multitude of mediocre musicians.

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Palek
I have been in love with trance ever since I listened to an old "Re-Activate" double CD 6 years ago. Then I discovered BT, the king of trance, and I basically had to get all his albums and anything else he has touched. People say trance has been done to death and it cannot offer anything new anymore. Well, they should listen to his albums in the order of their release and see how much he has changed his music over the years. He still plays trance, but his latest album is very different from his first.

Sure, a lot of trance musicians out there just keep regurgitating old loops and instruments, but isn't that the same with every genre? I mean, how many "grunge" (or whatever they call themselves) bands are out there right now that sound exactly like Pearl Jam? And how many rap artists have a truly unique style? You could pick any genre and say it has been done to death, but that would be incredibly ignorant. You just have to find the real gems among a multitude of mediocre musicians.

Dude, BT isn't just a trance DJ. Thats why he's so good. If he were spinning just trance he'd be about as crappy as everyone else.