POLL: do your parents use IM?

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
My father doesn't, but my in-laws do... So, I voted "yes".

Oh yeah, I too use real words. I don't seem find the extra four keystrokes too troublesome. :p

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Well, when my mother used AOL, I used to IM her..but she never understood what was going on, so she didn't respond.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I have made my parents quite tech savvy over the years. My mom eBays, and does PayPal. Although, she called me last night asking why an eBayer won't accept her PayPal payment, funded through a credit card. I had to explain personal vs. premier accounts. They're still learning. But yes, they both IM all the time.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Mom IMs me once in a while... faster than a phone call for everyday mundane questions.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
my mom does a lil. its how she talksa to us kids when we are away in college. its quicker then teh phone and really easy to leave a lil reminder or message on

my dad will type something if he sees that i am iming the comp and he has a few hours free to figure out the keyboard

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
My dad is always online.. I dont really message him though unless i have to ask him something.. which is rare.. Id rather call my mom.

I just recently taught my mom the art of IM'ing.. shes picked up the lingo fairly quickly and has even realised that there are a lot of perverts online.

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
my dad used to. my mom doesnt use the computer for anything besides bills i dont think.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
When I went away to college I showed my mom how to use MSN messenger. It's nice for a quick little convo, but I always laugh when she writes 4 sentence IMs or tries to speak with "r" and "u" as abbreviations.

My dad, on the other hand, couldn't figure out that he wasn't pushing the power button on his printer hard enough to turn it on ;) if that tells you anything.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My parents never wanted a computer and now they're both addicted to the internet. I can't seem to get them away from the "safety" of AOL but I'm trying.

I actually prefer IM and Email to talking with them in person.

lilFajita

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
my mom looooooves IM. I can't have it at work anymore, so we don't talk now, but when I was in college and stuff that was our main method of conversing during the day. She also talks to her family in India alot using MSN messenger. Its really funny to see her use "lol" and "gtg" and stuff. haha. :)

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Lifer
and have you ever IM'd them b4?

you should have polled differently

I have two parents, only one of them uses IM and i IM them

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
My mom will IM with me, but she hardly ever signs on, and when she does, she tends to get tired of it. My mother in law, however, is a different story. If she sees the little box at the bottom that says "xxx has signed in" she clicks it, then she'll reply to me "I never do that"... WTF? I ask her what she never does, and she says, "well, you told me to never give out passwords or credit card numbers to people I don't know" or something like that. I say "I didn't IM you. That's what Messenger always says when you start it up." It would be one thing if she did this once, but she has done the exact same thing more than four or five times the last few months. At least it's better than my brother in law (who lives with her)...he thinks we can spy on his online activities, and when he sees us go online, he thinks we might be doing it right then. Errr, I'm not interested in his Ebay transactions or naked mud wrestling, or whatever he thinks we might be watching.