Poll: Do you use optical drives in 2023?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you still use optical drives (tick all that apply)?

• Total voters

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
LOL... i guess when i start making no sense, you can probably change that to how do you know im over 80, oh wait.. what were we talking about?

My favorate usb flash software:
Rufus.
Yumi.
WiNToBootic

And other utilities for if you need FAT file structure for legacy devices.
HPUSBDisk utility from HP.
FAT32Formater
Rufus is good for somethings, and I liked YUMI, but now Ventoy seems to be the superior solution.

As for optical drives, I rarely use them anymore, but I do have a USB DVD RW external drive just in case.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Rufus is good for somethings, and I liked YUMI, but now Ventoy seems to be the superior solution.

As for optical drives, I rarely use them anymore, but I do have a USB DVD RW external drive just in case.
Ventoy is great! I have a stick loaded up with a bunch of ISO just sitting in my stuff box! It's very handy for utility ISOs.
With secure boot turned off every thing obvs.

Anasabdullah

Apr 21, 2023
I don't see the point of using the optical drive with the current progress. If I need to exchange data, I use the internet or a flash drive

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ventoy is great! I have a stick loaded up with a bunch of ISO just sitting in my stuff box! It's very handy for utility ISOs.
With secure boot turned off every thing obvs.
Also there is a feature in Ventoy where it can work with secure boot, supposedly. I haven't tested it myself, as I don't use secure boot. I have several external drives with Ventoy on them now. It is very easy to use and other stuff can on the drive as well.

I currently have at least one USB3 thumbdrive, an external Seagate 256GB SATA SSD in a USB 3.1 enclosure, and a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in a USB 3.1 enclosure, all with Ventoy on them, along with ISOs and other things.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
the last time I used an optical drive was around 15 years ago. they're not useful anymore unless you're a niche archivist or have a bunch of old software not available as download and if not buy yourself a cheap 40 usb drive to play your plastic discs.

Reactions: Pohemi

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Optical drives can still be useful when working on older computers that may have trouble with booting from a USB flash drive. Also, I have come across older computers where the USB wasn't able to be booted from properly, so I had to use a SATA or IDE optical drive instead.

Reactions: AndrewJacksonZA

AndrewJacksonZA

Aug 19, 2015
Optical drives can still be useful when working on older computers that may have trouble with booting from a USB flash drive. Also, I have come across older computers where the USB wasn't able to be booted from properly, so I had to use a SATA or IDE optical drive instead.
+1 on this.

I have 2x SATA DVD-RW and 1x USB DVD-RW in my main rig (I'm busy converting my DVD library to AV1) and I have one SATA DVD-RW in each of the other ones tottering around the house.

I also have a significant game collection on disk that I don't particularly feel like buying again on someone' store that one day will close and won't be able to be played because of the store DRM. (GOG #DRMFree FTW!)

lenjack

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yes. Probably 20 years old. I rarely need it, but I will continue to keep it installed. Of course, you need to be careful if you change your case, as you would need to remember to choose one, with a 5.25 inch external bay.

Reactions: AndrewJacksonZA

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
they're not useful anymore unless you're a niche archivist or have a bunch of old software not available as download...
Nonsense. A lot of people have boxed PC games, Bluray / DVD movies, or a music CD collection. That's hardly niche.

...and if not buy yourself a cheap 40 usb drive to play your plastic discs.
I have both. Internal SATA 5.25" drives have advantages like a more robust tray mechanism, faster ripping speeds, and the PC case protects the unit itself.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I currently have at least one USB3 thumbdrive, an external Seagate 256GB SATA SSD in a USB 3.1 enclosure, and a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in a USB 3.1 enclosure, all with Ventoy on them, along with ISOs and other things.

Is Ventoy like just an image file mounter/loader that runs on what, Windows PE?? Has to be kinda slowish as opposed to writing the image file contents directly to media.

Last edited:

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Nonsense. A lot of people have boxed PC games, Bluray / DVD movies, or a music CD collection. That's hardly niche.
Did you not see where I said old software? Your other examples are in fact niche. I can't speak for you but standalone players exist.
I have both. Internal SATA 5.25" drives have advantages like a more robust tray mechanism, faster ripping speeds, and the PC case protects the unit itself.
Buy an enclosure connect it with USB externally or buy an enclosure with an internal connector. I use an OWC USB model. It uses what's otherwise a 5.25 drive in a sturdy metal enclosure. The read write on it mirror any conventional internal drive. Zero problems with the internal LG drive it uses. You can buy their standalone enclosure, too.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
These are exceedingly rare issues but I hear ya. I use enclosure drives and will leave a data or powder or both cable in the basement of a computer or carry it in my toolkit. I can remove a drive from an enclosure within minutes and run it with the case's side popped open and connected. you can run power to the drive from your brick and run a single sata. I haven't seen an ide drive in a long time. only see ide or pata systems on really old control units when I did some it in my spare time.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
You can use something like this, and get the best of both worlds. Only drawback is requiring a wallwort.

https://icybox.de/en/product.php?id=320
Good ones with enough space allow you to keep the drive in the housing and run cabling from the computer. I have some old floppy enclosures with associated cables and extended for the rare time I may need it. it's only come up once in the last 13 years dealing with an old pentium 3 based control system for a local business. if you are quiet enough the read and write of a floppy is a nice cha cha dance you can shake to a great way to dislocate a hip or pinch a nerve if older.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Tbh I think all those things are pretty niche now. Streaming is king whether some of us still hold on to physical media or not.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have a UHD BR drive in my main PC for the few 4K discs I have. I also have a couple of USB DVD drives primarily to rip music CDs and DVDs which I store on a NAS system. But honestly, I just use my PS5 as my HT as I really thing the whole HTPC is a pain in the ass and the PS5 has all the crap I need to stream. I do, however, still have 100s of blank DVD/CD/CDRW discs from many years ago when newegg has great deals on spindles. All those Taiyo Yuden discs that were the shit back then. Hundreds of em. I wonder if they are still good.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Did you not see where I said old software? Your other examples are in fact niche. I can't speak for you but standalone players exist.
I have stand alone players, but I can't rip CD's with them. Not all music is available for streaming, or download. And half the time buying the MP3's that are available cost more than the actual CD anyways, for inferior quality.

Reactions: biostud

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I have stand alone players, but I can't rip CD's with them. Not all music is available for streaming, or download. And half the time buying the MP3's that are available cost more than the actual CD anyways, for inferior quality.
try different services. plenty exist for lossless streaming. you can buy lossless albums and tracks too.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'd rather own my lossless music, not pay for another streaming service. And why buy lossless albums or tracks, when the CD's are cheaper?
Then get a USB DVD drive and rip your own CDs and convert to flag to save some space?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Why? A SATA DVD drive fits fine in my Define R6. And I do rip my own CD's, that was the point of my posts.
My mistake, your first post made it sound like you don't have one.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I'd rather own my lossless music, not pay for another streaming service. And why buy lossless albums or tracks, when the CD's are cheaper?
Fair enough. An extra 4 or 5 dollars here and there may be too much for some to handle over a $14 used disc.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Fair enough. An extra 4 or 5 dollars here and there may be too much for some to handle over a $14 used disc.

I just picked a random Taylor Swift album (Midnights) from Amazon UK, it's actually £2 more expensive in mp3 format than on CD brand-new. Same goes for RHCP - By The Way.

Frankly I'd be happy to pay £2 more for a CD to ensure I can choose the format that I rip it to. I've considered going back through my collection and re-ripping for various reasons / quality levels.