[POLL] - Digital Camcorder Brands

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Very simple and straight forward. What brand is your camcorder? If you have more than one, which one would you consider your Primary Camcorder that gets the most use?

Just curious since sites liek camcorderinfo.com rates Panasonic's very high but most retails stores try to sell Sony and Canon. So, let's see what the ATOT world says.

Feel free to post your thoughts and comments on what you do own. I'm looking to get one in the next week or two and am liking the new Panasonics like the PV-GS150. But we'll see how they look and feel when I go shopping tonight.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Sony miniDV camcorder. Can't remember the model# off the top of my head.

edit: Found it - DCR-HC42

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Does anyone really not like the camcorder they have or has had major trouble with it?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Canon, ZR series. Tried Sony's range of MiniDV and super miniDV, sub par compared to Canon.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Baked
Canon, ZR series. Tried Sony's range of MiniDV and super miniDV, sub par compared to Canon.

The Canon ZR series has been extensively tested and found to have poorl low light (indoor) performance.

And what is super minidv? Never heard of it. I know Sony makes nothing like that.

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Baked

Sony has better low light (read: indoor) performance. Just my biased opinion.

Sony TRV-21

Edit: Damn you 91TTZ. Beat me to it.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Low light performance? Well, turn on the light. 'Cmon! I find the Canon ZR to have better resolution and clarity than similar Sony miniDV models.

By super miniDV, I meant sony's really really small miniDV.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I have a Sony Hi8 TRV99 and this past year purchased a Panasonic MiniDV *12. Both work, but the Panasonic is much smaller so gets more usage (which is why we bought it). I purchased a warranty on it... so... maybe I'll get to upgrade it in a year or so.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Sony TRV-19 (IIRC) mini-DV. I researched them to death before I bought mine and the Sony won on price, features and performance. Canon was a close second. The Canon had poorer indoor lighting capability than the Sony though.

Believe me, I wish it weren't so. All my photography gear is Canon so I kind of wanted to stick with Canon but the reviews comparing two at the time showed the Sony to be superior so I went with it.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by: dman
I have a Sony Hi8 TRV99 and this past year purchased a Panasonic MiniDV *12. Both work, but the Panasonic is much smaller so gets more usage (which is why we bought it). I purchased a warranty on it... so... maybe I'll get to upgrade it in a year or so.

Any idea which model you got from the Panasonic Line?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I was hoping that the poll list would at least be comprehensive.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
Originally posted by: Eli
Well, I was hoping that the poll list would at least be comprehensive.

Meaning what exactly?
haha, mybad.

I thought it said digital camera brands, so I was bitching because there was no Nikon, Olympus, etc...

:eek:

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Well, I stopped by the local Best Buy yesterday and I think it's going to be the Panasonic PV-GS150. Looks like a really great camcorder. Hopefully I'll think so after I buy it. heh.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Canon ZR-40MC

It's doing very good except I need a new battery pack; the one I have is about 2½ years old