[Poll]Digicam experts need your help

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
I am going tomorrow to maybe buy a camera.

so.

which one is better overall

Canon SD800
Fuji film F30

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
xD sucks, and the F30 seems to have exposure problems according to DPreview (though, seems like it's spot exposing and if you just set it to evaluative it'd probably be fine). the F30 seems to be amazingly sharp, however. which is a really good thing.

SD800, typical canon

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
I am actually planning on picking up the SD800IS myself. Lots of pros and cons to the camera but basically it is a good camera that can fit in your pocket. Which counts for a lot in my book.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
Well I am going to the store tomorrow and I am going to print out 4x6 and 8x10 and who ever gives us the the best quality wins a free ride to my house

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Not sure what (if anything) is improved over the SD700IS but you can find it for about $300 now.

I'd go with that.

Canon puts out a ton of P&s cameras and they see few changes from model to model.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
the Fiji f30 What I see is better then the SD700is.
also

I want to know why ppl are choosing the canon over the Fuji in the poll.

So I can see why and learn.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I'm a Fuji guy. DCRP reviewed both. See which feature matters most to you: IS or high ISO performance.

The Fuji doesn't have IS. But it does wipe the floor with the Canon at high ISOs. You can get usable 4x6 at ISO 1600, 8x10 at ISO 800. The Canon looks like dog sh1t at anything higher than ISO 400.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: thescreensavers
also

Because it's Canon. They make consistently good cameras across the board, usually not the best in their class but never the worst. It's the safe bet, no homework required, just pick a price and size then buy.

Other manufacturers have some cameras that will outperform a similar Canon and a lot of worse ones, they aren't as consistent so you have to do a lot of reading before you buy.

Here's a comparison of the new Canon SD series and the F30. link

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: kami333
also

Because it's Canon. They make consistently good cameras across the board, usually not the best in their class but never the worst. It's the safe bet, no homework required, just pick up and buy.

Other manufacturers have better cameras and a lot of worse ones, they aren't as consistent so you have to do a lot of reading before you buy.

And it's quite apparent that people on this forum want to do the minimum amount of reading possible. The OP is better off reading industry reviews and making up his own mind, but it seems he wants to do the minimum amount of reading as well.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
also

Because it's Canon. They make consistently good cameras across the board, usually not the best in their class but never the worst. It's the safe bet, no homework required, just pick up and buy.

Other manufacturers have better cameras and a lot of worse ones, they aren't as consistent so you have to do a lot of reading before you buy.

And it's quite apparent that people on this forum want to do the minimum amount of reading possible. The OP is better off reading industry reviews and making up his own mind, but it seems he wants to do the minimum amount of reading as well.

wow I have been reading non stop for 2 days now, I am looking for your opinions.
so U really dont know what your saying about me. I have read DPreview of the fuji. both from dcresorce and I am just asking for your opinions.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Well the IS is a big deal for a point and shoot. A high quality print doesn't matter much if you miss 3 or 4 others that would have been just as good but turned out blurry. With IS this is a non issue.

The F30 has better ISO shots but high ISOs mean a tri or monopod in my book even then its about ISO 800 for an acceptable small print. The canon does acceptably up to ISO 400 for small prints. Limit of about ISO200 on the Canon for fullsize prints would be my guess.

The canon has the wide angle lens which is a big plus in my book. the 28mm makes a big difference on inside shots where you are trying to fit everyone in. It also adds that sense of expansiveness to outside shots. You can't get this feeling at all with many other point and shoots. Granted that at the wide angle it can be fuzzy around the edges but who looks at the edges of prints. Since the Canon is a Canon keep in mind it has they usual softness of Canon point and shoots. Some like it some don't

The canon 800IS has a DigicIII processor over the DigicII of the 700IS. To me this is more of a negative since it hasn't been proven as much as the Digic II as far as color truness and all that jazz. Still the 28mm lens and the IS along with the auto face focus is the win win for this camera. I just hope that the Digic III is as steadfast as the Digic II

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
also

Because it's Canon. They make consistently good cameras across the board, usually not the best in their class but never the worst. It's the safe bet, no homework required, just pick a price and size then buy.

Other manufacturers have some cameras that will outperform a similar Canon and a lot of worse ones, they aren't as consistent so you have to do a lot of reading before you buy.

Here's a comparison of the new Canon SD series and the F30. link

Pretty much sums up pretty much all the response you're going to get on ATOT "Canon Fanboys" forums.
If you spent any time researching, you'll easily learn that Fuji F30 wins easily in image quality.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: d3n
Well the IS is a big deal for a point and shoot. A high quality print doesn't matter much if you miss 3 or 4 others that would have been just as good but turned out blurry. With IS this is a non issue.

You talk as if IS is a cure-all at low ISOs. Unfortunately in most industry reviews, they test IS performance in regular indoor lighting situations. And IS doesn't help for fast-moving subjects. There are a lot of situations where having good ISO 800/1600 performance is better than having IS. Which is why the OP should evaluate what they need the camera for.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: virtualgames0
Pretty much sums up pretty much all the response you're going to get on ATOT "Canon Fanboys" forums.
If you spent any time researching, you'll easily learn that Fuji F30 wins easily in image quality.

I would agree that the F30 is absolutely amazing on image sharpness, but there are other things to consider, such as the wide end is not as wide as the Canon, there is a lack of an optical viewfinder (one of my pet peeves), and there is no IS.

IS vs. High ISO is really a personal shooting preference.

IS: maximized quality because you can shoot at a low ISO, but is utterly worthless for moving subjects. Therefore, get IS if you're primarily going to be shooting stationary subjects.

High ISO: quality will drop as you increase ISO. While the F30's high ISO is completely above and beyond anything other P&Ss can offer, it's not infallible, and image quality will drop when you crank it up. But when you have fast moving subjects, cranking up the ISO is often your only option. Therefore, get the F30 if you're going to be shooting a lot of moving objects in low light.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: d3n

You talk as if IS is a cure-all at low ISOs. Unfortunately in most industry reviews, they test IS performance in regular indoor lighting situations. And IS doesn't help for fast-moving subjects. There are a lot of situations where having good ISO 800/1600 performance is better than having IS. Which is why the OP should evaluate what they need the camera for.

I am not a photo expert so the distinction is appreciated. I can appreciate a good point and shoot though since I really don't have the background to pick and choose my settings for a photo. Guess thats what we are all looking for.