POLL: Did you like Ender's Game?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ROTC1983
Originally posted by: Deslocke
Originally posted by: ROTC1983
I loved it. I still have to read the rest of the books in the series though.
I would go with Ender's Shadow first. Then again, I guess there are some people who really liked the sequels.

Hmm, I want to read them in order, so I won't be confused about what is happening.
Ender's Shadow takes place at the same time as Ender's Game so that would be in chronological order but whatever works for you.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Both "Ender's Game" and "Speaker For The Dead" got each a Hugo AND a Nebula award when they came out. That's just as rare as actors getting Oscars for Best Performance for two years consecutively... while it's not exactly a guarantee of quality (awards can be subjective), it still indicates that both books were excellent in their own terms.

*edit*

I'd like to make some observations regarding some authors' predisposition towards series of books, as opposed to stand-alone works. Most of the times, these series are very inequal in literary value. There are exceptions, of course... To quote Norman Spinrad: "Frank Herbert's 'Dune' series was good until the fourth book, when it became evident that he's continuing it out of inertia rather than because he's got something to say about it"... Of course, Brian Herbert now says that his father ALWAYS had a great SPACE OPERA in his mind, and that at the time of his death he was planning a final book that would've put everything in perspective. Whether that's the case or not, it remains to be seen (last thing I've heard is that Brian Herbert claims he found the 'skeleton' - or outlines - of that final book and that it will be published sometimes in the near future)... which did not stop him from pairing with Kevin J.Anderson to put out three prequels to the original "Dune"... while enjoyable, these books are still below his father's achievement.

Now, back to Orson Scott Card. I believe that "Shadow of the Hegemon" was his last addition to the Ender series, and even his most faithful followers said "enough is enough." I haven't come across it yet.

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
I never read the full book, but I read the short story he wrote before the book came out. Great stuff.