POLL: Chevy Avalanche - yay or nay?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fastz28

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2001
Would you like me to create a poll? I think the poll here speaks volumes.

Yes, if you poll the US population. It's pretty clearly established that ATOT is foreign biased.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: ZenmervoltThe mileage for a Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and the 3.73 rear end is 16/20. The mileage for the Avalanche is 13/18. It's the weight that does it.

On the MSN side/side comparison, they come out virtually identical. There isn't all that much of a difference in weight, although I coincede the Avalanche should weigh more.. but not by much.

I think we both understand eachothers points - we just don't agree with them! :)

spamsk8r

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: fastz28
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: fastz28
Originally posted by: spamsk8r
Ultimate suckmobile. Get a Ford.

Why does it suck? Why is a Ford better?

A) Because it's a Chevy
B) It is more expensive than a regular truck
C) It is ugly as hell
D) It's a Chevy

Ok, your points taken.

A) Chevy bigot
B) Not compare to a similarly equipped truck
C) Personal opinion
D) See A

You are correct. I am a chevy bigot. I don't like them because they use cheap materials (as do most GM cars and trucks) and they aren't likely to hold up well in terms of reliability and cosmetically.

This to me is the biggest reason not to buy their products. YMMV:beer:

I concur wholeheartedly with you. When you drive a Ford for so long and then are forced to drive a Chevy, you can feel the cheapness in the way they are built, at least in my experience. Also, a lot of my friends who have owned Chevys have had a lot of mechanical problems, and the Avalanches are hideous, there's no way you can argue this, because it is apparent. The explorer Sportracs are much nicer looking, I would go with one of them, or a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab (it's got a Hemi :))

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: bernse
Standard shipping pallets. Pallets are usually only about 2x2 or 2x3'. Why would the midgate need to be open?
That's why I asked what size. I've seen a few different sizes.

Yes, cars have gotten smaller with smaller engines (they actually are not much lighter and in many cases are heavier now). But cars are not doing heavy-duty work. Trucks still need their non-carlike construction. As far as I'm concerned the single most damning thing that can be said about it is that it is "carlike". I don't want a truck to be "carlike" any more than I want a car to be "tricycle-like" or Winton Marsalis to be "Guy Lonbardo-like".

The mileage for a Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and the 3.73 rear end is 16/20. The mileage for the Avalanche is 13/18. It's the weight that does it.

I guess I'm just coming at this from a different angle. If I were in the market for a truck (which I will be in a couple years) I'm going to be looking for an F-350 XL with the DRW option and 4WD with no interior options, the diesel engine, and as many heavy-duty options as I could afford. Use it for plowing in the winter and as a tow vehicle in the summer. Different philosophy.

ZV

we have put a pallet in our avalanche with a cardboard "crate" on it, midgate doesnt have to be open, nor tailgate. these are the larger size i believe, that hold C.I. fittings in them.

and if you are worried about something sliding around LMAO. NOTHING can slide on the liner in the bed, the thing is so damn sticky it isnt funny also, it would not put grease stains anywhere inside your cab most likely due to the fact that when the midgate is folded its not 100% flat, but rather inclined towards the front of the truck.

MIKE

mitchafi

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2004
Get a Tahoe...I love mine..wouldn't drive anything else. 2000 Model and no problems yet.