Poll: Can a 2.5RS take a WRX off the line by 10mph or so?

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Yea, by as much as that Skyline did when it went up against the Mclaren.

EDIT: I voted no, even though it might get off the line faster, it will very quickly be overtaken.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
I went with yes, just because it's simple physics! RS is lighter, makes more torque @ lower RPMs, and shares the "same" drivetrain so why wouldn't it be faster off the line? It's just common sense is all...

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I don't see why, they are both similar cars, yet one is turbo and considerably more powerful.... I vote NO!

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
I went with yes, just because it's simple physics! RS is lighter, makes more torque @ lower RPMs, and shares the "same" drivetrain so why wouldn't it be faster off the line? It's just common sense is all...

the WRX has this object called a turbo, similar to some DSM's. this makes power. if you know how to use this object at the line it will make a large difference..

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I dont understand what there is to debate, The WRX puts out something like 220HP.....the 2.5RS, something like 170HP.....what is there to question?

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: SaintGRW

the WRX has this object called a turbo, similar to some DSM's. this makes power. if you know how to use this object at the line it will make a large difference..

Please don't preach to me about turbos or DSMs, I happen to own a turbo'd DSM in case you'd forgotten ;)
Once again, less weight and more torque @ lower RPMs + "same" drivetrain = gets off the line quicker! This is simple physics, folks.

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001

Please don't preach to me about turbos or DSMs, I happen to own a turbo'd DSM in case you'd forgotten ;)
Once again, less weight and more torque @ lower RPMs + "same" drivetrain = gets off the line quicker! This is simple physics, folks.

I know you own a DSM i'm just giving you a hard time. if they both leave the line at idle then it's questionable but if they both launch well with the RPM's up there this low RPM theory doesn't apply...

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

I know you own a DSM i'm just giving you a hard time. if they both leave the line at idle then it's questionable but if they both launch well with the RPM's up there this low RPM theory doesn't apply...

Not true, because even if you launch both vehicles @ redline, the RPMs are going to drop back down once you let off the clutch or the brakes (depending on method of launching) and the vehicles start moving. It's only bench racing until both vehicles are lined up side-by-side anyway ;)

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
What do you mean by "off the line" ?
Do you have a set distance or time in mind?
The thread title doesn't make any sense to me.
Normally in drag racing you talk about car lengths so "10 mph or so" is the wrong unit if measurement.

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001

Not true, because even if you launch both vehicles @ redline, the RPMs are going to drop back down once you let off the clutch or the brakes (depending on method of launching) and the vehicles start moving. It's only bench racing until both vehicles are lined up side-by-side anyway ;)

also the air pressure in the tires, road conditions etc etc are taken into effect, if the conditions are just right and the WRX can spin there's no question the WRX will take off on the RS... there are lots of factors for this. but i'm still siding with the WRX.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999

Are you sure the gear ratios are the same?

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: PG

Are you sure the gear ratios are the same?

Comparing this with this, one can see that the first gear ratios of both cars are the same and since we're talking about first gear performance (you don't launch in any other gears, especially when one has the traction of AWD) so I'd have to say yes on that one.

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000

WRX

Curb Weight : 3085
Torque: 217ft/lbs @ 4000rpm

2.5RS

Curb Weight : 2965lbs
Torque: 166ft/lbs @ 4000rpm

Yeah, common sense.

I didn't dig up any dyno charts, but its not like it would matter. The turbo spools up at around 3000-3200rpm on the WRX and any decent driver will launch above that.