Poll: Auto Insurance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jfrag Teh Foul

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
I use USAA which is a company that is available for Arkansas vets. Right now I am paying $25 a year for a policy on my computer that covers it for $3000.00 (like new cost). That policy includes anything that could happen to my system...

/em is hooking up his system to a lightning rod on the house while typing this message. :D

jeffrey

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2000
<< Allstate and they suck.

I tried the Amex insurance deal, but I have a reckless driving conviction from 4 or 5 years ago and that excluded me from their coverage. Just because your points drop after 3 years doesn't mean that they still won't haunt you >>

"That sucks I thought your driving record is wiped clean after 3 years?

Perhaps it varies from state to state or some insurance companies really dig back into your driving history."

I actually filled-out the online insurance app for Amex insurance and got approved with a bill that was about 50% cheaper. The thing was that the online form only asked for 2 or 3 years of driving history. I called to double check and the operator said that they went back 5 years for "serious" violations, which was why my ancient ticket killed my chances. A regular ticket 5 years ago wouldn't have mattered.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
I have USAA through my parents. My dad has used them forever, but they charge $1400 for 6 months full coverage on a sports car :( And that's with like $500 in discounts...

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Not sure actually but I know I pay just under $200 for a full year of liability, 81' Z29 camaro. Gonna go wayyyyyyy up when I get something newer this summer though.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
USAA (it's for active/retired military and their families)

I also bank w/USAA, get renters insurance and have a USAA Mastercard. Gotta love one stop shopping :D

Lethal

Feb 10, 2000

<< USAA (it's for active/retired military and their families)

I also bank w/USAA, get renters insurance and have a USAA Mastercard. Gotta love one stop shopping :D

Lethal
>>

USAA is the best. I had a car stolen a couple of years ago and they were amazingly helpful and generous. Anyone eligible for USAA should seriously consider it.

bonk102

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
whatever you do, AVOID progressive

i had a 6 month lapse where they claimed i never paid, even though i had the check back from the bank and everything, DMV took my license away and revoked my registration. Progressive said, and i quote "there's just nothin' we can do to help, sorry" and then had the balls to say "but when you do re-register your car, be sure to give us a call", i could'nt believe it. DMV told me this kind of stuff happens all the time with them, and as if to prove my point, my roomate told me today that the SAME thing happened to her. whatever you do DONT go with Progressive

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
I have Geico too, they are okay. *knock wood* I never had to file a claim and hope it stays like that. I wanna attend that 6 hour defensive driving video to lower my rates, but its a 6 hour video!

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
For those with Geico thinking they're saving money right off the bat without doing research - I suggest actually doing some... I inquired about State Farm on a whim, and their prices were a good deal LOWER than Geico, and they're much more reputable and come with a local friendly face to back you up. It was quite a surprise...

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Damn I don't know what to do. I am afraid State Farm is going to drop me. I also want to add extra coverage for custom things done to vehicle. Progressive's web site only lets me add 4000 in custom equipment. Total for me would be about 15,000

Progressive quoted me <U>3,164</U> every 6 months. Heh, I am so screwed now and especially when I add in 11,000 extra in custom equipment.