POLL : Are you a Tech-enthusiast or a Gamer ? or Both

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

POLL : Are you a Tech-enthusiast or a Gamer ? or Both

• Pure Tech-enthusiast

• Pure Gamer

• Both and proud

• Both and shame

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sushisamurai

Jan 21, 2015
More of an enthusiast than gamer.

My dream is to OC the crap out of a crystal well skylake CPU with DDR4-4000 just to see how it compares to a dGPU... And just cause I can say I did. But alas, family responsibilities :(

I tend to only visit anandtech for my info, as I really like their deeper dives compared to other sites.

deanx0r

Oct 1, 2002
I am both, but I feel quite shameful to be a gamer when I read discussions or comments from place like Linus Tech Tips, /r/PCMasterRace or WCCFTech. It feels even worse when you see the type of products marketed towards "gamers". LED lit RAM modules, LED RGB keyboards, gaming cases or overpriced ROG prducts just scream tackiness to me.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I am both, but I feel quite shameful to be a gamer when I read discussions or comments from place like Linus Tech Tips, /r/PCMasterRace or WCCFTech. It feels even worse when you see the type of products marketed towards "gamers". LED lit RAM modules, LED RGB keyboards, gaming cases or overpriced ROG prducts just scream tackiness to me.

Those who make black products. You have taken so much of my money.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
More tech for sure. I'll just get most games to see how the state of the art graphics rendering is. It's a very rare game that I can play to finish anymore.

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
Both and proud. Post college life means most of my close friends are scattered across the country and we get together 2-3 times a year now. We make up for it by hopping on skype and slaying hordes of demons or stomping on nerds.

That said I'm sitting here at work creeping on the forums instead of being productive because the hardware itch never goes away. Once an enthusiast always an enthusiast.:wub::wub::wub:

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
Has Alienware laptop so you must just be a "gamer" yourself also both and proud.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
What matters in the end is how pretty the latest GPU makes your games look, and how fast it can run them.

That said, I find it hard to get excited about new games these days. I get way more excited about new GPUs and CPUs. I still play a lot of games, but I hardly ever buy the latest AAA titles that really show off the power of modern GPUs. I tend to buy indie titles, simulators, strategy/building games. The latest Call of Battlefield or whatever might look pretty, but this type of game only holds my interest for 5 minutes.

I don't get that excited about games OR hardware for the most part anymore. These days it's all about minimum for maximum profit and milking the next generation. There are no grand leaps. I would say Sandybridge was the last bang for your buck wonder and I don't predict that happening again any time soon. I don't think they intended what happened.

There's no real push for better or QA. Certainly it is there to a degree, but not the wonder it was 15-20 years ago. (maybe it's just an age thing, the jumps back then were also incrementally paced, but there was that wonder when 1gz was hit, etc). I'm well past caring about how many gigaflops or transisters something can do or has. I just want it to work BUGFREE and HASSLEFREE and HOW I WANT, which...is pretty much non-existent these days. Most of what is advertised is just marketing gimmick and means jack at the end of the day.

VR is the most excited I've been about hardware in ages, mostly because it is just the tip of the iceberg and hopefully only gets better.

Last edited:

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Tech enthusiast, then gamer.

I've become extremely picky in games and it takes a lot to entertain me.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
I play games but I'd no longer consider myself a gamer. I don't think I actually ever was, really.

I mostly play strategy games and always have. Haven't owned a console since Nintendo (version 1).

So I'm more of a tech enthusiast.

Same here.

Thankfully i can sort of justify to buy new hardware cause of work, otherwise i cant see myself buying new GPU/CPU for quite a some time, cause honestly, i can live without all the fancy new games. There is probably only one game i would want to play so much i would upgrade, upcoming sequel to Sins of a Solar Empire... If NHL series ever made it to back to PC, i could see myself to upgrade for it too, if needed - although sport games generally are not as demanding. I can play FIFA 16 or PES 16 on my 6 year old computer just fine and i dont think this is going to change with 2017 versions. Even though FIFA is going to Frostbite.

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
Has Alienware laptop so you must just be a "gamer" yourself also both and proud.

no, i don t play anymore. I have both desktop and laptop alienware (and AW Monitor-keyboard-mouse) , and many many other pcs.

i m still a fan of the old Alienware. not the actual one. (i hate their new products)
i will always like my old-Alienware collection, but i m not interested in the new ones.

not a gamer at all

Last edited:

VeryCharBroiled

Oct 6, 2008
voted both and proud

game side: cant game like i used to. now married, house/land to pour money into, new hobbies. but still have time to sneak back to my 1st love on occasion: games. just not as much as i would like.

tech side: use computers for more now.. bit of home automation, crypto mining, data collection/retrieval, stuff. computing power can be applied to more than ever now. the computers need to have a minimum of power as computers wait on humans, not humans wait on computers. so im forced to upgrade/tweak a lot.