Poll: Are Men emotionally impassive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Nope... Men are perfectly able to feel emotion, but they only do so outwardly for "manly virtues" like jealously, anger and agression. The others (fright, love, vulnerability, sadness, etc.) are all genuinely felt but only manifested in socially acceptable ways.

Thank god for exceptions.

l2c

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: tfcmasta97
99% of my convos with other guys

"sup"
"not much. You?"
"not much"

if someone asks what you were talking about?

Reply: "stuff"

That's because it's not culturally acceptable to say any more not because men are biologically less emotional than women.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
The fact reains that we life in quite an emotionally complex society. Perhaps we take nuances for granted, but character and emotional recongnition and comprehension is something that anyone shy of an autistic case has.

Because in history, men are usually the ones to go to war and basically the ones that "officially" take the brunt of conflict, desenseitization is common. Of course this is not the case, as women undoublty experince cruelties just as men. Women however, are not critiqued daily to repress emotions, and therefore have more "freedom" in that arena.

Of course, there are extremes, such as Gays and metroxeuals that lavish their emotions moreso than the typical "brutish" male, but they are often chastized by peers.

In the end, we require emotional recongnition and comprehension to function within todays social boundaries. To say that you feign emotional response or that you are indifferent shows that you are a product of society and its daily judgements.

To realize that the emotional freedom is yours for the taking is bliss.

:D

You, I am not passive.

In fact, many of the problems/challenges I have had to deal with, and currently am dealing with are atributed to a lack of passiveness.

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I believe men can be very emotional, when the emotions are strong. Men don't seem to be as easily affected by their emotions as women are, but when an emotion hits them strongly, they react to it. I have also noticed that men are more likely to express anger than any other emotion.

: ) Amanda

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: luv2chill
Nope... Men are perfectly able to feel emotion, but they only do so outwardly for "manly virtues" like jealously, anger and agression. The others (fright, love, vulnerability, sadness, etc.) are all genuinely felt but only manifested in socially acceptable ways.

Thank god for exceptions.

l2c
Well said.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: ohtwell
I believe men can be very emotional, when the emotions are strong. Men don't seem to be as easily affected by their emotions as women are, but when an emotion hits them strongly, they react to it. I have also noticed that men are more likely to express anger than any other emotion.

Or to use anger as a vehicle for expressing other emotions.I'd imagine being a guy is tough sometimes.

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Geekbabe

Or to use anger as a vehicle for expressing other emotions.I'd imagine being a guy is tough sometimes.
You are right. Anger seems to be the means for expressing many emotions for a lot of men.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
I believe ohtwell hit the nail on the head. We're not as easily swayed by emotions, and only very strong emotions cause us to show them.

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: SWScorch
I believe ohtwell hit the nail on the head. We're not as easily swayed by emotions, and only very strong emotions cause us to show them.
Yay for me! :D

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Geekbabe

FVCK YOU STUPID BITCH

TheHeartless

May 27, 2003
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Originally posted by: TheHeartless
heh, i know some guys who are emotionally out there, others its like talking to a brick wall...

WHAT! I spy a "new" female member.

i've been a member for a while....and yes i am a female