Poll: Air Conditioner is yours up and running?

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Just wondering if anyone here has to suffer through the summer months with no AC.

Our AC unit died a couple weeks ago :(

its starting to get up into the upper 80s here and we have no AC at all, probably not for the whole summer either. Dont have the $$$ to fix it at this time, and fans just don't cut it during the day.

Never thought I'd give up my computer for anything, but I would if I had AC. hehe

jimmygates

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
I'm a cheap bastard. I just leave the sliding door open with the screen. PG&E is raping us on the power bill :(

-jimbo

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Central air is a beautiful thing, having your computer, bedroom, bathroom and entertainment center downstairs where it's already 8-10 deg cooler is even better. AC is off right now it's somewhere in the 60's I think. The outside Portland air is cool and crisp.

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
I live in NC
our central air is what I mean that went out! :(

I wished we had a Window AC unit or something... oh well its cool in here now, but it will heat up as the day goes on

I have to keep the computers off during the hot part of the day cause it just makes it worse.

colossus

Lifer
Dec 2, 2000
I have AC but only use it when sleep becomes difficult, and even that I won't do now unless I know we're not in a Stage II or III.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I turned ours on a few weeks ago. Between the humidity and allergies it was necessary.

I have reinsulated the attic, put in double pane windows and last summer replaced the AC unit with a 12 SEER rated unit. The bills are not that bad for me.

Blayze, could you put in a whole house attic fan? It's not as good as central air but will help a lot in keeping the air moving. It also helps cool the house down when it gets dark.

What died on your AC unit?

Shmorq

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I try to use it as little as possible, but if it becomes overly humid, I'll have to turn it on.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Our central air isn't up and running yet, it is only in the 60's and 70's in Upstate New York...

Once it hits the 80's we will click it on though :)

Soccerman

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
you think YOU have it bad?

you should see the MASSIVE window I have in my house.. we don't have any sort of cover on it, so during summer, it acts like a freakin Furnace..

I bet we'd save alot of discomfort, and air conditioning power if we just covered that damned window..

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
I have two A/Cs one in the bedroom and one in the living room. The weather here in CT was cold so far, but yesterday was the first time I got to use it.

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
ours died a month ago or so, it should be fixed this wednesday. my allergies have been horrible all month because we have to keep the windows open :|