Poll: 24 Hour Fitness vs Local Gym

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I can probably get a small corporate discount if my wife and I were to join 24 Hour Fitness and they have 2-3 locations in the Portland area I can work out at.

But there's a local gym which is very close (2 miles) to our house, it would probably be $10 - $15 per month cheaper than 24 Hour Fitness.

So which would you choose and why?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I would base my decision on the quality and condition of equipment, as well as other ancillary services that each place provides and how often the place is over crowded before I based it upon price and business hours.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
I would base my decision on the quality and condition of equipment, as well as other ancillary services that each place provides and how often the place is over crowded before I based it upon price and business hours.

Good advice I never thought of that, thanks.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
frankly , i'd go local. you're MUCH more likely to go if it's convenient, and much more likely to keep membership if it's cheaper!

i mean, i'm assuming this "local gym" has decent equipment and locker rooms though.

nothing worse than a nasty gym

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
As previously mentioned, I too would form my decision based on quality of equipment in addition to the volume of people (thus leading to over crowding) and the general workout environment. After that, I would look at my chances of sticking with it such as, is the gym close to home and easy to access? It is significantly more inexpensive than the other? Are the hours feasible for me?

Have fun! I am off to my gym now...:D

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
My local gym closed down so now I have to go 24 hour. My corporate discount paid all the dues at my local gym but keeps me $11 short per month for 24 hour. Honestly I think its better...24 hour usually keeps their equipment up to date and they have more choices as well. Like others have said, evaluate it based on equipment and how busy the place is. My old gym was completely empty...never had to wait on anything. At 24 hour I do have to wait on a couple things (like bench).

It all comes down to the quality of your local gym.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
If 24hr fitness is open 24 hours (not at all familiar with them) I'd be more likly to go with that. I like to work out pretty late at night when most places aren't open.

Luckily the gym here at work is 24 hours :)

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
I'm not familiar with "24 Hour Fitness" but presumably that's a franchise?

If both places fit your needs (what are you looking for in a gym?), the first thing you need to do is to visit both gyms around the time you'll probably be working out. See how crowded it is. Is there enough equipment? If you like to start your workout by spending 20 minutes on a treadmill or bike, are there enough in case it's busy? Are there enough racks of free weights? Nothing I hated more than to be ready to work triceps and find that all the dumbells +/- 20lbs in my weight range are in use. Also, like someone said, what's the condition of the equipment? Is the locker room clean? :)

One more thing, this might sound silly, but make sure the music they play doesn't drive you nuts.

Best gym I ever joined was small and smelly...the air upstairs where the treadmills and bikes were stunk so bad it was hard to breathe sometimes...the basketball courts consisted of a goal like you could buy at Sears and the "court" was the back parking lot :eek: But they had plenty of well-maintained Sybex equipment inside so it was all good.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Compare the equipment at both. If the local gym's equipment is acceptable, and they aren't packed when you want to go, join that one.

Now remember, do not buy a whole year. Try month to month at first, or a three/four month package. that way if you flake out, you wont be out much.

And 2 miles away is perfect. You can get your cardio on the way there by running or walking to the gym, and doing the same going home. I know it rains a lot in Portland, but once you get used to it, running in the rain is pretty cool :) (pun not intended... OK, it was :p) I run daily, and even in the rain if it's not a storm. I've actually grown to like it so long as it's over 60F.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
24 hour fitness, because then you can get a membership that covers all of their clubs, letting you work out wherever you are. Good if you travel or move.
Their locker rooms are clean and they have sanitation standards, which is more than I can say for many smaller gyms.
Also the equipment is usually more up to date as well. 24 hour fitness also has the benefit of personal trainers on hand in case you want some extra help.