[Poll] 235 mpg car -- would you drive this vehicle?

Oct 30, 2004
This link was originally posted by someone else in another thread related to the nation's banking crisis, but the prospect of a 235 mpg car is worth its own thread. Note--the car can accommodate two people--the passenger sits behind the driver.

http://www.greencar.com/features/vw-235-mpg-car/

Can you see yourself ever driving something like that? It's comforting to know that it is possible to build such a vehicle. I also found this article about diesel-hybrids worthwhile:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/0...kswagen_diesel_hybrid/

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I like the idea but not sure if it will sell in the United States.

1. It is small. People like to feel safe.
2. Will our regulations make them add safety features which add weight to the thing?

I like the concept but 100 bucks says it runs about 100K. That puts it out of the reach of the avg joe and negates any kind of fuel savings you will realize with the car.

Oct 30, 2004

Well, yeah, it might cost $100,000 to build one right now as either an individual custom build or as part of a small batch, but what would it cost to build them on a mass production scale? I dunno; just posing the question. I don't see why it would necessarily be more expensive to build those in mass than it is to build a current conventional vehicle.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Looks like you can only get one person in it. Kind of hard to take the family out to eat in that thing. Hell, where do you put your girlfriend and what about car pooling laws?

Nothing wrong with a 1 person car if all you use it for is to go to work. However, if you wife wants to drop you off and go get groceries what then?

What would the cost be on that thing?

Too Many unanswered questions.

Here is some video of a one person 3 wheel car.
http://www.livevideo.com/video...C8F/3+wheeled+car.aspx

This looks fun.

XR3 Hybrid
http://www.rqriley.com/xr3.htm

Trimuter:
http://www.rqriley.com/tm.html

Doran:
http://www.rqriley.com/doran.html

It is too bad we dont have these kind of cars in production.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Do NOT buy a Volkswagon. Ever. They are very unreliable and when (not if) they break they are very expensive to fix.

Rear view mirror w/ rain sensor? $500+
A/C Compressor? $500+
Plastic pop-out cup holder? $300+
Cooling fan? $500+
Water pump? $300+

I'm not going to go into all of the problems I've had but take it from a current VW owner - don't do it.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: piasabird
Looks like you can only get one person in it. Kind of hard to take the family out to eat in that thing. Hell, where do you put your girlfriend and what about car pooling laws?

That car will accommodate two people in line--the passenger sits behind the driver.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

Nothing wrong with a 1 person car if all you use it for is to go to work. However, if you wife wants to drop you off and go get groceries what then?

What would the cost be on that thing?

Too Many unanswered questions.

Those questions have nothing to do with the car...just how YOU would use it.

I think its a novel idea.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I'd be game, but it's going to have to cost the same as my motorcycle, or maybe a little more. I'd rather have a two seater version that gets 150-200mpg. That way I could carry things or another person. The added utility could also justify a somewhat higher cost. As it is, many people would have to own two (or more) of these, and the TCO would skyrocket.

As far as cargo, I could see a dedicated trailer which opens like a trunk and can be easily removed, like what's made for touring motorcycles.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
That is no more a car than a recumbent bicycle with a canopy and a weed whacker engine. It's not a 235 mpg car by any reasonable definition of a car. It would be a coffin (is even shaped like one), no room for passengers or luggage, etc.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I look at it as a covered motorcycle. Fine for commuting to work but not practical for anything else. And far too dangerous to drive on today's roads, having such a low stature.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

That car will accommodate two people in line--the passenger sits behind the driver.

What? So no road h... ;)

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor
Do NOT buy a Volkswagon. Ever. They are very unreliable and when (not if) they break they are very expensive to fix.

A/C Compressor? $500+
Cooling fan? $500+
Water pump? $300+

I'm not going to go into all of the problems I've had but take it from a current VW owner - don't do it.

Sucks that you got a lemon, both of my VW's have been rock solid....

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't think I'd feel very comfortable or safe in something like that.
The smallest I think I'd be comfortable in is something like a Fit or a Yaris. But even then I'm not so sure.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Great, except with the shit hole roads I have to drive in I'd be careening into the center of the earth in an aerodynamic suicide missile the first time I tried to drive to work. There's seriously one pothole Burlington that was so bad it was on the news. Apparently it covertly hid under a puddle of water, waiting for its suspected prey to happen into its jaws. Its victims had to be hauled away by a wrecker in many cases.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KMFJD
Originally posted by: Robor

A/C Compressor? $500+
Cooling fan? $500+
Water pump? $300+

Sucks that you got a lemon, both of my VW's have been rock solid....

I know but I'm thinking more you got lucky! ;) Our neighbor ran into similar issues. 2003 Jetta. Dumped it just before the extended warranty ran out.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The safety issue could be mitigated by dedicated lanes for vehicles getting X mileage, much as commuter lanes are set up now. It won't prevent an SUV from hitting one at an intersection, but highway accidents would become a far less issue. Besides it could encourage ownership of high mileage vehicles.

The problem is everyone seems to want a 200 mpg Excursion. I'm not holding my breath for that to arrive.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Great, except with the shit hole roads I have to drive in I'd be careening into the center of the earth in an aerodynamic suicide missile the first time I tried to drive to work. There's seriously one pothole Burlington that was so bad it was on the news. Apparently it covertly hid under a puddle of water, waiting for its suspected prey to happen into its jaws. Its victims had to be hauled away by a wrecker in many cases.

hahahahahahaha....

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I don't really understand the obsession with "safety" that requires a large vehicle. Most of my driving is in traffic, and I've never been hit by somebody. If there's a sufficient lack of traffic to go 70mph on the highway, the concern I have is being hit by somebody. I don't feel any safer or more powerful in my Jeep than I did with a 240sx. That's a really bizarre way of thinking.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I looked at the article and it mentioned some very costly components. Carbon fiber and magnesium frame and a seat without any padding just fabric. I am not opposed to radical design, but some people have kids, or you might want to go somewhere with your friends. I think they should just build it in limited edition and see if they can sell maybe 100 of these. The big issue will probably being able to pass a crash safety test.

I have seen some models of 3 wheel kit cars with the 2 wheels in front and basically a motorcycle frame in back like a 750 or 1100 ninja or something like that. Either that or totally electric. Usually it is sacrificing safety to a degree for less weight.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Sister has a Jetta and it is complete junk. Funny thing is I have owned two Audi's. They are ok cars in terms of reliability. Apparently their engines are designed to burn or pass oil through the exhaust. This wrecks havoc on Catalytic converters.

Though it seems like the braking situation in the two I have owned is bad, really bad. And the one I own now had gone through 3 wheel bearings before it hit 100,000 miles. They were covered under the warranty and maybe they had a bad run. They replaced the 4th wheel and I havent had a problem in the past 30,000 miles.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
I don't really understand the obsession with "safety" that requires a large vehicle. Most of my driving is in traffic, and I've never been hit by somebody. If there's a sufficient lack of traffic to go 70mph on the highway, the concern I have is being hit by somebody. I don't feel any safer or more powerful in my Jeep than I did with a 240sx. That's a really bizarre way of thinking.

There is a huge difference between a Jeep vs 240sx and a 240sx and that glorified tricycle.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Would make a good Taxi. You wouldn't want all Taxi's to use this, but I'd bet that a Single Passenger Taxi would meet > 50% of all Taxi needs.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
What would help is if businesses would allow more and more employees to work out of their home. Perhaps even if they had tax incentives to do this.

I am self-employed, work out of my home, and have only put 20K miles on my car in its three-year life. I don't even "fill up," when I get gas, I only put in a half tank's worth. On top of that, it gets about 32 miles/gallon.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i am interested in being able to purchase a diesel-powered hybrid , i would love to have that option here in the USA