Politics and retirement, is it a factor you'd consider in your planning.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I'd like to retire right now, but unfortunately it will be in around 10 years at age 62. We live in Wisconsin currently, and don't plan to move until we decide where we'd like to retire to. We are both active, healthy, and independent to liberal. My wife has family in Prescott, AZ which is a nice area, but it's pretty conservative.

It seems like most of the areas we like are more conservative, such as Wyoming, Arizona, or Utah/Nevada. California would be nice, but we can't afford that. We do like the southwest, and we'd prefer to live at elevation around 5,000 feet where the humidity and bugs are less frequent.

Anyway, would you want to live in an area full of bible thumpers if you were a liberal? I've found most people generally leave you alone if you don't talk politics. But state policies which it seems have been really brought to the forefront by some state laws ridiculousness lately highlight how the conservative mindset can really affect your life. Florida is the best example imho, it seems like they're itching to off a bunch of their senile seniors with their policies.

I suppose this topic could also apply to where one lives currently, and I think most of us just can't leave or move to Canada on a whim.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I'd like to retire right now, but unfortunately it will be in around 10 years at age 62. We live in Wisconsin currently, and don't plan to move until we decide where we'd like to retire to. We are both active, healthy, and independent to liberal. My wife has family in Prescott, AZ which is a nice area, but it's pretty conservative.

It seems like most of the areas we like are more conservative, such as Wyoming, Arizona, or Utah/Nevada. California would be nice, but we can't afford that. We do like the southwest, and we'd prefer to live at elevation around 5,000 feet where the humidity and bugs are less frequent.

Anyway, would you want to live in an area full of bible thumpers if you were a liberal? I've found most people generally leave you alone if you don't talk politics. But state policies which it seems have been really brought to the forefront by some state laws ridiculousness lately highlight how the conservative mindset can really affect your life. Florida is the best example imho, it seems like they're itching to off a bunch of their senile seniors with their policies.

I suppose this topic could also apply to where one lives currently, and I think most of us just can't leave or move to Canada on a whim.
Move to Texas, turn it blue.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Arizona is about follow the paths of Nevada and New Mexico politically. If you can stand the hell like inferno of AZ summers then it seems like a reasonable choice.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Which parts of Nevada? Some of it is pretty conservative but it is overall a blue state and looks to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Close to California :) part of Nevada such as Carson City.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I just retired this year. I'm in my 40s. For me, politics matter very little where I want to live. I care lot more about things like the weather, cost of living, state taxes, close access to major airport, racial diversity, and culture way more than politics. I live in north metro Atlanta right now and I really like this area. But I'm also thinking about buying a second home in Florida or Tennessee since both states do not have state income tax. But the beauty of being retired is that you don't have to be tied down to one place because of a job or some other commitment. You can travel and check out other areas. If and when this covid-19 virus is contained, my wife and I plan to live in various cities around the world for month or two at a time. But I plan to keep my home in Atlanta because like I said, I really like it here and it's nice to have a familiar home base.

Reactions: MtnMan and Lanyap

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think politics would be one of many factors I'd use to choose a place to live, whether for retirement or otherwise. I would not be happy living around a bunch of bible thumpers.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I live there. I can answer any questions you might have.

I travel there for work occasionally (Dayton) and I like mountain biking and trial running so that's a decent area for that. We're always into places that have nice maintained trails for people to use. Horse-friendly is also a plus.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I just retired this year. I'm in my 40s. For me, politics matter very little where I want to live. I care lot more about things like the weather, cost of living, state taxes, close access to major airport, racial diversity, and culture way more than politics. I live in north metro Atlanta right now and I really like this area. But I'm also thinking about buying a second home in Florida or Tennessee since both states do not have state income tax. But the beauty of being retired is that you don't have to be tied down to one place because of a job or some other commitment. You can travel and check out other areas. If and when this covid-19 virus is contained, my wife and I plan to live in various cities around the world for month or two at a time. But I plan to keep my home in Atlanta because like I said, I really like it here and it's nice to have a familiar home base.
I agree. There is a whole lot more to life than politics. I've been retired 20 years now, didn't move because I already lived where I wanted to live. Weather is never extreme in either direction, large enough city to things to do, resources, healthcare, recreation, basically things to do, places to go and politics are a tiny tiny part of it.

The politics that do rile me span the whole country. And it doesn't matter if you live in a very red or blue area, Washington DC and it's temporary inhabitants will still be the scum of the earth.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I travel there for work occasionally (Dayton) and I like mountain biking and trial running so that's a decent area for that. We're always into places that have nice maintained trails for people to use. Horse-friendly is also a plus.
The mountain biking trails have gotten even better since the Carson City Off-road began a few years back and we've invested in maintaining them better.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Flagstaff is relatively liberal (by Arizona standards). It's a bit higher than Prescott and therefore colder. Wyoming is conservative but generally a far more moderate, pragmatic conservatism than found in Arizona.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Well, politics is a factor in how much I care whether I live to retirement. Sometimes it seems like the world is going to be so grim by that point that I don't know if I really want to worry about maintaining a healthy lifestyle and living longer.

As far as _where_ to be, I find I want to hang on here in the city, simply because all the statistics show it's increasingly a young-person-only zone, as young and old are increasingly geographically-segregating... when you get older you are, apparently, supposed to feel an overwhelming urge to go live in the West Country or the South Coast...(old people in this country are, it seems, drawn towards the sea, by some mysterious occult force)....and sheer bloody-mindedness makes me want to be the last grumpy old geezer in town.