Politicians trying to change sports again

scruffypup

Feb 3, 2006
Ok we had the congressional hearings on steroids in baseball and stuff,... now we have some wanting to get rid of the BCS system in college football.

Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, Rep. Bobby Rush and Michael McCaul (two of these are from Texas if you want to know what the REAL link is,....)

are sponsoring a bill that "will prohibit the marketing, promotion, and advertising of a postseason game as a national championship' football game, unless it is the result of a playoff system. Violations of the prohibition will be treated as violations of the Federal Trade Commission Act as an unfair or deceptive act or practice."

I want our elected officials to stay out of sports, quit using their office for corruptive gains and DO THEIR JOBS AS ELECTED LEADERS!!!

--------------------------------------------
Keep thread on track or it gets punted to OT

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I think that the MLB is a federally mandated monopoly so that does kind of fall into the area of work they have to do. No idea about NCAA stuff.

scruffypup

Feb 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Topic Title: Politicians trying to change sports again
Topic Summary: Did we elect them to tackle this stuff?

I see what you did there!

Yeah that was not an "intentional", at first,... but I "caught" that prior to going for the "post". However, I do think I got the "point" across.

Does anyone think this is as much do to Texas fans feeling the got the shaft on the title bid?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: scruffypup

Yeah that was not an "intentional", at first,... but I "caught" that prior to going for the "post". However, I do think I got the "point" across.

Does anyone think this is as much do to Texas fans feeling the got the shaft on the title bid?

Could be.. but maybe the goal of this legislation is to go for two things that they haven't scored beFORE! First, down the stretch they will want to raise funds for re-election which this popular bill would certainly score. Second, down in Texas they care a lot about football, traveling many hundreds of yards to see a game so a lot of voters, sports fans that they are, would certainly see this as a hole in one. I personally agree with it and hope this doesn't just get lateraled back to somebody else to take care of, Congress should drive this bill to the House and lay it up there for a vote.

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
Originally posted by: Farang
Originally posted by: scruffypup

Could be.. but maybe the goal of this legislation is to go for two things that they haven't scored beFORE! First, down the stretch they will want to raise funds for re-election which this popular bill would certainly score. Second, down in Texas they care a lot about football, traveling many hundreds of yards to see a game so a lot of voters, sports fans that they are, would certainly see this as a hole in one. I personally agree with it and hope this doesn't just get lateraled back to somebody else to take care of, Congress should drive this bill to the House and lay it up there for a vote.

i hate you sooo much

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: yllus
I think that the MLB is a federally mandated monopoly so that does kind of fall into the area of work they have to do. No idea about NCAA stuff.

no, MLB was ruled as entertainment rather than commerce back before the supreme court decided that practically everything is commerce. no commerce = no basis for federal regulation. no one has bothered to try again since.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
The way Texas was treated by the Big 12 I certainly hope they leave the conference and join the SEC, where they can dominate every year outright.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: MadRat
The way Texas was treated by the Big 12 I certainly hope they leave the conference and join the SEC, where they can dominate every year outright.
YOU'RE F'N JOKING, RIGHT?!

They'd certainly be able to compete, but no other conference in the country is as tough as the current SEC. If Texas joined the SEC, they'd be just another SEC team, not the supposed Big Dogs they've been in the Big Pile of Dogshit known as the Big 12.

Will the real UT please stand up!? I'm allllll Vol baby!

SEC football FTW.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
You know what the focus on sports lately indicates? That most of these guys' constituents are far more concerned with the BCS than they are with Iraq or the economy.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Sorry, palehorse, I don't want to distract the OP with facts about how the SEC is just an obvious paper tiger conference whereas the Big 12 is dominating the entire football scene yet again. The facts are too obvious and don't need to be repeated thread after thread.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Obama talked about this before the election. These guys probably think with Obama coming in they have a sympathetic president to their cause. I didnt really think anybody would bother after Obama's comments. But it looks like some in congress are going to take him up on it.

I will LOL if they actually bother implementing such a system through legislation.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Sorry, palehorse, I don't want to distract the OP with facts about how the SEC is just an obvious paper tiger conference whereas the Big 12 is dominating the entire football scene yet again. The facts are too obvious and don't need to be repeated thread after thread.

ROFL. You sound like a Big 10 fan from two years ago with the Michigan/OSU championship debate. We'll see how you look on 1/8 when yet another trophy comes back to a school in the best conference in the land. :)

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Yah guys in the FBS are just whine and cheese
(but it's been a rough week around here, too ...)

The Streak is Over Appalachian State Loses in FCS Playoffs

Of further note, the FCS will expand their playoff format in 2010 to 20 teams - most likely a combination of 4 'play-in' games to determine the opponents for the top 4 seeds with first round 'byes' for the top 12 teams.

2008 was a rebuilding (reloading?) year in Boone. Any of you FBS guys wanna come and play?

:laugh:

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: BeauJangles
You know what the focus on sports lately indicates? That most of these guys' constituents are far more concerned with the BCS than they are with Iraq or the economy.

Did I miss something going on with the economy?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
no, MLB was ruled as entertainment rather than commerce back before the supreme court decided that practically everything is commerce. no commerce = no basis for federal regulation. no one has bothered to try again since.
MLB was ruled as the national pasttime. But that doesn't exclude congress from their investigative powers over entertainment. To quote myself:
it is their duty to investigate (see the Constitution, Article 1, Section 8, tribunals). So why do people complain that congress is doing their job? This has to be at least the 10th thread on the same exact subject.

Congress does it's job by having public hearings and investigations. They've investigated TV, game shows, comic books, sports, drug abuse, deliquency, etc. It is what they do. It is in the constitution. Considering the billions that governments have given to sports (construction, tax breaks, etc) and special exemptions, why shouldn't sports obey the demands of congress? Why shouldn't some entity enforce our laws? The one and only entity with the power is congress, and for some reason, some people don't want congress to investigate. :roll:
It is that very ruling that you discuss that says that congress has the power to investigate.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Keep thread on track or it gets punted to OT

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

How I see Congress getting involved is that the NCAA is made up of majority public universities that receive federal money. I'm not sure they could go after the NCAA, per se, but if they structured the language that to receive federal funds a university must have all of their sports teams associated with a organization that mandates a champion by playoff system.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: dullard
Originally posted by: ElFenix
MLB was ruled as the national pasttime. But that doesn't exclude congress from their investigative powers over entertainment. To quote myself:
it is their duty to investigate (see the Constitution, Article 1, Section 8, tribunals). So why do people complain that congress is doing their job? This has to be at least the 10th thread on the same exact subject.

Congress does it's job by having public hearings and investigations. They've investigated TV, game shows, comic books, sports, drug abuse, deliquency, etc. It is what they do. It is in the constitution. Considering the billions that governments have given to sports (construction, tax breaks, etc) and special exemptions, why shouldn't sports obey the demands of congress? Why shouldn't some entity enforce our laws? The one and only entity with the power is congress, and for some reason, some people don't want congress to investigate. :roll:
It is that very ruling that you discuss that says that congress has the power to investigate.

Since 1922 MLB has enjoyed antitrust protection ---> Lookee here. That does not preclude any Congressional investigation, as noted (see old 'roid-butt Roger Clemens-LOL).

The NCAA does not maintain antitrust status. On numerous occasions they have been sued (and most times lost or settled) on antitrust 'monopolistic issues'. IIRC there are now efforts (from a women's group of all things) to seek limited exemption to antitrust laws for the NCAA.

As I understand it, around 20 years ago the NCAA tried to limit coaches salaries (and lost when sued).

The 'issue' seems to be that because of the rise in salaries in the revenue-generating sports (men's football and basketball) institutions 'juggle' scholarships offered in other male and female sports. Title IX requires an equal balance. The contention is that the escalating salaries limit the overall number of scholarships thereby reducing opportunities in 'other' sports for both men and women.

The intention of the limited antitrust exemption is to control coaches salaries in men's football and basketball.

I could see Congress 'negotiating' this as part of the discussion relating to an FBS playoff. The NCAA, no doubt, is monopolistic and I disagree with the OP in that Congress needs to get on top of this multi-billion dollar big-business that affects 1000's of student-athletes, state budgets and university education overall.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
WHEW! I'm so glad that we've resolved the hundreds of other critical issues facing the world so we can focus on fluff like this. Maybe they can also pass a law deporting that creepy Mexican muppet from Sesame Street.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
My reading on the issue led me to believe that the bill in question would prevent an organization from making money off of a 'National Champion' when said champion was decided by a method OTHER than a playoff. It would not mandate a playoff in Division 1A football (screw that 'FBS' BS). 1A could keep their BCS system, but could not name any team as 'National Champion'.

I fully support that approach. 1A needs a playoff, and there isn't a legitimate non-monetary reason why there isn't one. Rather than legislate change, make the legislation force the NCAA to make a choice- credibility vs money. I know they'll choose money and keep the BCS, but at least then they can't try to project themselves as credible or anything other than money-grubbing whores.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: palehorse
YOU'RE F'N JOKING, RIGHT?!

They'd certainly be able to compete, but no other conference in the country is as tough as the current SEC. If Texas joined the SEC, they'd be just another SEC team, not the supposed Big Dogs they've been in the Big Pile of Dogshit known as the Big 12.

Will the real UT please stand up!? I'm allllll Vol baby!

SEC football FTW.

Oh please, that mighty SEC is all but worthless this year. There's two good teams, the rest are decidedly mediocre. I'd take Texas over every single SEC team this year. This stuff changes year to year. The SEC is generally strong top to bottom, but this year they are plain mediocre.

OP: yes, if it takes congressional meddling to get the job done, then so be it -- nothing else seems to be working. It's like with the roids. Baseball and the union were getting nowhere until congress stuck it's nose in there and got things going. Same thing here, force them to come up with a real way to settle who's the best.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Wow, how petty. Don't they have more urgent issues to deal with then this?