Policing Career?

guy93

Aug 2, 2008
A few years ago(Grade 10) I learned that I suffered from a compression fracture in my lower spine region(sorry I do not know exactly which ones). I am now starting to think about my future career as I am in the Criminal Justice Degree program in University. Becoming a police officer has always been a career I'd like to get into.

Now for the purpose of this thread, I am curious if this career is a possibility for me anymore as I obviously do not have the back I used to have prior to the injury. I know there are a lot of variables to consider, but I would like your guys opinions on this. If there are any police officers or something of that kind, please tell me from experience how risky would this be for me due to my problem. I just want a general idea from everyone.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=277847&page=2

^ Thread regarding injury.

Thanks everybody.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Sorry guy93, I am not a policeman able to advise you. But still this nation needs as many principled law enforsement professionals as we can get. And you seem to be a prime canidate.

Yes guy93, I would have to guess, given your back problems, that you will fail to meet the physical requiremnts to be a "Policeman", when a University education will be a fine ticket to qualify you to be a finer canidate for so many other needed type of law enforsement careers.

Good luck and my best wishes to you guy93.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
I don't know anything about this. /preface
It seems like if you can satisfactorily complete the fitness tests for the department you want to get in, the job doesn't look all that physically demanding. With your injury, can you stand/walk for 12 hours a day without pain?

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
First thought is no way, not with a back injury. That injury is a permanent liability.

However, maybe it is possible to study your way into a detective or desk position. Ask your professors. I would think a master's degree would provide eligibility for an office or administrative position.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
why would policing be "always have been a career a dude would want to be into"?? that would be like, the last career i would want to be in. havent you ever considered engineering, science, medicine, academics, etc....

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
First thought is no way, not with a back injury. That injury is a permanent liability.

However, maybe it is possible to study your way into a detective or desk position. Ask your professors. I would think a master's degree would provide eligibility for an office or administrative position.

Can't be an officer/detective/etc without being sworn/academy/etc. Admin yes, but they're always going to prefer candidates with policing experience. You get no respect without it.

I would be talking to my doctor about this more than anything.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
What exactly is the shape your back is in? The short answer is every dept has it's own policies on what they will except. The long answer is every cop that actually does real patrol for an extended period of time ends up with serious back and knee issues. Every single one of my co-workers that have been here for 15 years has issues. Most have bad backs and some a variety of knee issues. And no, these guys aren't overweight. If you spend 12hrs/day for a decade or two riding in a car and fighting it wears on your body, no way around it. If you can pass the PT tests and the physical with the doc you can get in the door

No on starts out as a detective. Doesn't matter if you have a doctorate, you have to have policing experience.

why would policing be "always have been a career a dude would want to be into"?? that would be like, the last career i would want to be in. havent you ever considered engineering, science, medicine, academics, etc....

There are a lot of people out there that want to be police officers for a variety of reasons, from the good to the bad. It's not a bunch of dumb asses that can't do anything else. Just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean there aren't others that do.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Talk to your doctor. If a competent physician will sign your physical exam saying that you have no medical conditions that would impede your ability to do the job, you have a good chance. I would also recommend contacting the police certifying agency in your state regarding medical requirements.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Talk to your doctor. If a competent physician will sign your physical exam saying that you have no medical conditions that would impede your ability to do the job, you have a good chance. I would also recommend contacting the police certifying agency in your state regarding medical requirements.

This.

I have a co-worker that had issues similar to yours. He got hired at 22 and hasn't looked back. The only thing he required was a note from the doctor saying that his back is not an issue and the department cleared him to take the physical tests. YMMV depending on department. Don't give up if its really something you want to do. If you can walk/run/lift a decent amount of weight, I have no doubt you will be able to take the test and start the process out/

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Have you considered asking some police departments rather than a bunch of people on the internet?

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
people go to college so they don't have to become police officers. what is wrong with you?

tell us why you really want to join? to shoot a gun? want to power trip? these things can be done without a badge as well.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
most west coast departments have a wall climb and mile run as part of the entry tests. at the academy we also had a dummy drag that was ~100 lb. (we even had to do the final mile run in full duty gear because our academy commander was an ex marine drill instructor who wanted to get closer to real life conditions.)

if you dont think you can handle the wall/mile/drag then you probably wont be able to get into a metropolitan department. some of the smaller departments/sheriff in rural areas might have less strict standardized tests.

some departments have open physical tests and training sessions during the recruiting period to help applicants prepare, if you can get in to one it will be a chance to see if your back can handle it. it may be different now as some departments went to physical test after written/orals to reduce the number of people they had to run thru the process.

remember on patrol you will be carrying 10 to 15 lbs of equipment on your hips every day. regardless of how customized the cruisers are, the seats rarely fit the bulk on your belt and your vest perfectly.

guy93

Aug 2, 2008
people go to college so they don't have to become police officers. what is wrong with you?

tell us why you really want to join? to shoot a gun? want to power trip? these things can be done without a badge as well.

Thanks for the great advice and replies everyone, it's been a great help. As for why I want to become a police officer after going through college/university, it has nothing to do about power. I live I'm BC Canada, over here police forces look for post secondary education(it is preferred). Who knows maybe I will change my mins in the near future but I've been wanting to do this so I can have a career regarding law in my hometown that I can serve and protect. I have always had this career in mind, but one of my professors from one of my semesters is a police officer, and he really went in depth with the reality of a policing career which really made me want to be a part of it even more.

Policing is not about the things you asked me. Police officers right now go out, leaving their families at home or wherever in order to protect ours while we sleep. I have much respect for that. Like I said, there's always the possibility of me getting into another career. I'm only 19. To be honest I would even love a police related career, such as case/detective work but you need to go through the academy and start out on patrol first.

Regarding my back, I don't feel pain and I can sit for long periods of times, I can run without pain. I have not tried lifting heavy weights though.

Once again, thanks for the great advice and replies folks, if there's any place online to ask questions or talk about a matter, it's with you guys at anandtech forums.

Cheers!

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
ah, makes sense. did not notice you were from Canada. carry on then, mate. your police do things much differently than ours.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
OP: SandEagle is a cop-hating troll. Don't waste your time responding to him.

rayfieldclement

Apr 12, 2012
Is this University in Canada? If no why don't you become not a standard policeman but a HOMICIDE Detective. Talk to your local police academy.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Just don't be a police officer in a ghetto. Find some suburban town and write tickets all day.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well, it's 2019 and I just graduated a week ago! Officially a police officer! Been 7 years almost since I made this post, crazy.

Cheers all!
Congrats guy!
I have a younger cousin who graduted with a Law Enforcement degree several weeks ago, he's working a security job at a race track now, but hopefully he will find something in one of the towns where he wants to live and work.

guy93

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks guys! I got in with the RCMP and completed Depot. Got posted back to B.C ! :D