Police shot knife wielding man in Philadelphia , rioting ensues

May 13, 2009
Man was charging officers while holding a knife. Was warned several times and was finally shot several times. Riot ensues and a truck runs through a police line and runs over two officers.
It's very alarming to me that the mayor and city council are not backing the police on this. I don't understand the argument of shooting someone in the leg. I highly doubtful that would stop a grown man in full sprint holding a knife.
I wish common sense could prevail but it's not looking good for us as a country.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Man was charging officers while holding a knife. Was warned several times and was finally shot several times. Riot ensues and a truck runs through a police line and runs over two officers.
It's very alarming to me that the mayor and city council are not backing the police on this. I don't understand the argument of shooting someone in the leg. I highly doubtful that would stop a grown man in full sprint holding a knife.
I wish common sense could prevail but it's not looking good for us as a country.

Is that what laura inbredham or cucker carlson reported?

May 13, 2009
Is that what laura inbredham or cucker carlson reported?
I suppose most won't care until the "protesting" arrives at their own front doors.

Do you not find it disturbing that police officers were defending themselves against a man with a knife and the liberal mayor and city council are throwing them under the bus? I also find it disturbing that the msm is misrepresenting this and using it politically.

It's a very slippery slope that no rational human should want to find out what happens at the bottom of the slope.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
If he indeed had a knife (hard to see) and he was that close unfortunately he made a fatal mistake regardless of his mental health. He posed a threat to himself and others, and do you know how fast a man with a knife can be on you before you can react?

May 13, 2009
If he indeed had a knife (hard to see) and he was that close unfortunately he made a fatal mistake regardless of his mental health. He posed a threat to himself and others, and do you know how fast a man with a knife can be on you before you can react?
I'm not familiar with your political views. If you are a democrat then I commend you on stepping away from party lines and letting common sense and truth prevail. Too few are willing to do this anymore.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
God forbid a responsible leader called for an investigation for the sake of everyone involved
“My prayers are with the family and friends of Walter Wallace. I have watched the video of this tragic incident and it presents difficult questions that must be answered. I spoke tonight with Mr. Wallace’s family, and will continue to reach out to hear their concerns first-hand, and to answer their questions to the extent that I am able. The Officer Involved Shooting Investigation Unit of PPD will conduct a full investigation. I look forward to a speedy and transparent resolution for the sake of Mr. Wallace, his family, the officers, and for Philadelphia.”

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I guess if charging is the same as walking towards. DO you think the only option there was to shoot? Zero other options?

He chased them around the street and parked cars for a good while. Options? You kill him.

If supporting this rioting and violence is going to define the Democrat Party - then there is no more hope for this country avoiding a terrible outcome.

Reactions: OILFIELDTRASH

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I guess if charging is the same as walking towards. Do you think the only option there was to shoot? Zero other options?
I feel like mace or a taser could have worked. Or at least not unloading an entire clip into him.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
May 13, 2009
May 13, 2009
I feel like mace or a taser could have worked. Or at least not unloading an entire clip into him.
Easy to say when you're not the one facing down a grown man with a knife in his hand. I guess you're willing to put police lives at risk over violent criminals.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Except that he wasn't "charging" at officers when he was shot but sure, you do you.
He certainly was moving rapidly in the direction of the officers (edit: at least early in the video). Unfortunately, I cant see what if anything he had in his hand, and the video doesnt show well what was happening (drops to showing the pavement) when the police actually fired. It certainly did not seem that their lives were in imminent danger, but if he had a knife, not sure what the cops should have done (tazed him maybe, but that doesnt always work). If he did have a knife, you sure couldn't be expected to disarm him manually, but maybe something else could have been done to de-escalate the situation.

Last edited:

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Actually, they are not backing anyone yet. Both the mayor and the police said the incident is under investigation, which seems like the appropriate response so early in the situation.

Reactions: Pohemi

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Based on my viewing of an admittedly jerky video with things going in and out of frame, it seems clear enough nonetheless that he was advancing on the officers with a knife. Accordingly, I tend to think this was a "good shoot" in the sense of not being prosecutable.

The law of self defense permits deadly force in a situation like that. This is true of ordinary citizens, as well. Not only police.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the argument made by the family, which is, why didn't they use a taser? Perhaps they should have drawn tasers instead of guns? Or one draws a gun and the other, a taser. Gun is used if taser fails?

Those and things like de-escalation are matters of police training and procedure which are of course matters of public interest which in turn can be addressed through a political process.

This just isn't the sort of problem addressed with criminal prosecution, however.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I will add, that support for rioting and violence on our streets is an immediately defining issue that weighed heavily on my vote. I reconciled that it could calm down and not dominate over other critical issues. So it did not sway me. But if the cops do everything they can to delay shooting an assailant - and you still hate them, you still throw them under the bus....and you still riot....

That is how Democrats display a complete detachment from reality. It hurts you a lot politically. Morally, this is a chasm of violence you will stand alone on.

I do not know how I'll reconcile that in the future - but if you keep it up and succeed at "burning this !@#$ down".... then this may be our last election anyway.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I think there's a video on youtube of some European police disarming a suspect in a car w/a knife and they do it without firing a shot using mostly their bare hands, yet in America it's shoot, shoot, shoot, until it's empty.

• Love
Reactions: DarthKyrie
May 13, 2009
Based on my viewing of an admittedly jerky video with things going in and out of frame, it seems clear enough nonetheless that he was advancing on the officers with a knife. Accordingly, I tend to think this was a "good shoot" in the sense of not being prosecutable.

The law of self defense permits deadly force in a situation like that. This is true of ordinary citizens, as well. Not only police.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the argument made by the family, which is, why didn't they use a taser? Perhaps they should have drawn tasers instead of guns? Or one draws a gun and the other, a taser. Gun is used if taser fails?

Those and things like de-escalation are matters of police training and procedure which are of course matters of public interest which in turn can be addressed through a political process.

This just isn't the sort of problem addressed with criminal prosecution, however.
I agree on all of this. Only thing I would say is that they don't really know this guys state of mind at the time. Is he willing to die in order to stab the officers? Because at that range with a knife in his hand if he starts charging all out it's very likely he inflicts severe damage before they kill him.
They weren't willing to take the risk and did what they did. They were within their rights legally and morally imo. Sucks for the family.

May 13, 2009
I think there's a video on youtube of some European police disarming a suspect in a car w/a knife and they do it without firing a shot using mostly their bare hands, yet in America it's shoot, shoot, shoot, until it's empty.
Suspect in a car. Key words. Totally different situation.