Police murder 80-year old man in bed, try to alter evidence

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
*pssst* The gun wielder is responsible for his actions. If you're not competent enough to identify if someone is a cop with a search warrant, you're not competent enough to be pointing a gun at anyone.

The gun wielder is responsible for his actions. If you're not competent enough to identify an 80 year old man laying in his bed clearly surprised by an unannounced police raid, you aren't competent enough to be pointing a gun at anyone.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
"It has been determined that the police were following proper established procedure." This is probably what will happen, and there will be no other consequences for the officers involved.

And lol at thinking police want to be wearing cameras for these things.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Except there's no actual evidence that he pointed the gun at anybody.

Quantum was trying to find a way such was excused. I was pointing out that he doesn't have an excuse.
Try to keep up.

He did not fire at them. His actions were responsible with no evidence to the contrary.

"A black man was walking near me! I feared for my life!"
"Good shoot! Self-defense! Bah, we won't even charge you!"

"This guy pointed a gun right at me!"
"What, you didn't wait for him to fire? That's MURDER!"

If the cops enter the premises without the occupant actively acknowledging them then yes it is a no-knock raid.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/knock
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/acknowledge

You're kinda slow.

Last edited:

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
So they show up, the wife, stepson, friends, and handyman are all come out from separate trailers and are taken into custody without incident, but then the cops decide to shoot the 80 year old in his trailer for no reason? You know, it couldn't have had anything to do with the loaded gun he had with him?

If someone is pointing a loaded gun at me, I would be foolish not to have a loaded gun aimed at them.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
*pssst* The gun wielder is responsible for his actions. If you're not competent enough to identify if someone is a cop with a search warrant, you're not competent enough to be pointing a gun at anyone.

He was still in bed when they shot him, they found the gun elsewhere in the room and planted it with him to cover their asses.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
He was still in bed when they shot him, they found the gun elsewhere in the room and planted it with him to cover their asses.

Wow, good thing the rest of the family was awake and active or the cops might have confused them for an immobile threat as well!

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Wow, good thing the rest of the family was awake and active or the cops might have confused them for an immobile threat as well!

When you're 80, and likely on a laundry list of medication, and have difficulty getting out of bed due to arthritis and other pains, we'll see how long it takes for you to; wake up, get your bearings, and climb out of bed. Why are you willfully being a trolling dumbass? :\

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
before listening to the audio recording, [sgt. John] bones believed that he told mallory to "drop the gun" prior to the shooting. The recording revealed, however, that his commands to "drop the gun" occurred immediately after the shooting.

wtf? D:

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Anyone else notice that when LE kills all of the witnesses. Huddles with their lawyers.

And comes up with a story. That that story always absolves them of all blame.

Anyone think that that is a coincidence?

And who was the judge that issued this no knock warrant?

And why did the warrior cop need an automatic weapon to pump six rounds into an 80 year old man whose only crime was sleeping in his own bed in his own house?

Uno

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone else notice that when LE kills all of the witnesses. Huddles with their lawyers.

And comes up with a story. That that story always absolves them of all blame.

Anyone think that that is a coincidence?

And who was the judge that issued this no knock warrant?

And why did the warrior cop need an automatic weapon to pump six rounds into an 80 year old man whose only crime was sleeping in his own bed in his own house?

Uno

Because meth. Do you hate America?

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
It certainly sounds as though the poor old man reasonably thought he was being burglarized and drew a gun on the cops. The cops, perhaps also reasonably, shot him.

This is one of the fundamental problems with no-knock warrants. They unnecessarily increase the chances of innocent residents or police officers getting shot. Further they generally shift the risk of executing a warrant from the police to the resident, i.e. the cops have less of a risk of getting shot if there really are bad guys in the residence, but an innocent resident has an increased chance of getting shot when the cops get it wrong.

Even if they didn't increase the net risk of executing warrants, I still find the policy unacceptable in part because of the risk shifting. The police need to accept the risks inherent in their job or find another line of work.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
So your claim is that when the police entered the room, the homeowner should have recognized more quickly that they were police than the police recognized that the resident had a gun. In fact, the homeowner should have recognized this several seconds faster, so he had time to put the gun down before the police reacted to the presence of the gun by shooting him. Did I get that right?

Feb 6, 2007
So your claim is that when the police entered the room, the homeowner should have recognized more quickly that they were police than the police recognized that the resident had a gun. In fact, the homeowner should have recognized this several seconds faster, so he had time to put the gun down before the police reacted to the presence of the gun by shooting him. Did I get that right?

That shouldn't have been a problem; his reaction time was probably lightning quick from all the meth.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
So they show up, the wife, stepson, friends, and handyman are all come out from separate trailers and are taken into custody without incident, but then the cops decide to shoot the 80 year old in his trailer for no reason? You know, it couldn't have had anything to do with the loaded gun he had with him?

The family claimed he was hard of hearing, you know, practically DEAF. And the cops also knew before hand there was an 80 year old who owned the property, and they hadn't managed to detain him yet. You don't go flying head first and half-assed into a dangerous raid situation based on a questionable drug tip without knowing all the facts about the owners before hand. And saying, "Opps! Oh well, I accidentally killed the deaf 80 year old guy lying in bed, let's all lie about it and get some donuts.", don't cover being a careless idiot who shouldn't wear a badge.

Last edited:

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007

Well put.

The fact is, the gun pointing cop had a moral and ethical responsibility if he saw a guy lying in bed pointing a gun at him, to quickly back out of the room and shout out more commands to drop the weapon and announce who he was. You don't run head first into a room and start shooting, it's not done that way at all, cops peek around the corner first, then if it's clear, they barge into the room. You don't just barge into the room sight unseen, and start shooting when you see someone, which it sounds like is what happened.

Last edited:

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
You think it is acceptable for the police to conduct raids based on anonymous tips, breaking into people's homes in the middle of the night unannounced, and shoot an 80 year old man in his bed dead because he probably thought his house was being broken into? Don't you think the police should have to use some semblance of common sense to prevent such casualties from occurring?

Obviously, and that's usually the problem in these middle of the night military style raids. And there is no common sense used or accountability what so ever when the raids go bad and innocent people die as a result.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Ah, so people come out of two separate trailers because they hear the cops announce themselves, but it's a "no-knock."

But he couldn't HEAR properly, or didn't you bother watch the full video before you made your mind up that he must have been guilty of lying in bed, with a gun next to him, asleep?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I read this and it is just more evidence of how our "over militarized" law enforcement is running amok in this country. The fact they lied and altered evidence is endemic of even wider issues.

^^This^^

Fern