Police "Attack" wrong person in DV call, kill innocent husband

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Nope - citizens killing someone is:
- they were defending themselves from loud music (and celebrated the successful defense by ordering pizza)
- they were defending themselves from opening the door to a drunk woman looking for help (it was a home invasion!)
- they were defending themselves for an egged car (they have high choloestorol!!)

There ARE corrupt cops. But, for some reason, there doesn't seem to be any corrupt citizens!

That badge must be made of the devil's turds or something.

#1 went to jail
http://nation.time.com/2014/02/16/music-shooting-michael-dunn-murder-florida/

#2 going to trial
http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2014/01/renisha-mcbrides-killer-pleads-guilty-june-trial-date-set/

#3 charged with 1st degree murder
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/...year-old-girl-for-egging-sons-car-as-a-prank/

None of these three people havent gotten away with it and very few people are defending them. But the police seem to get away with it 95% of the time.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008

I don't think getting killed by a terrorist should be the litmus test of whether or not a certain party is "deemed acceptable"

Based on your logic, drunk driving and texting on your phone would be far more dangerous then any of those. Also, how many of those 8 were not accidental (or negligent) deaths vs. an actual violent criminal dying?

And Ugggh CATO institute... Try to think on your own please or come up with an original standpoint on an issue. I hate being force fed these news blurbs that are improperly analyzed by a bunch of drama queens.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
So we need a war on Cops then? Should I call DHS?

:colbert:

Well I think our money that is spent on "The war or terrorism" could be better spent training officers how to calm a situation rather than brute force being the answer to everything. And yes, DHS should be involved Americans are dying on American soil and this is a problem.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
But the police seem to get away with it 95% of the time.

Don't make me keep posting this!!
gl1h.jpg

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
I don't think getting killed by a terrorist should be the litmus test of whether or not a certain party is "deemed acceptable"

Based on your logic, drunk driving and texting on your phone would be far more dangerous then any of those. Also, how many of those 8 were not accidental (or negligent) deaths vs. an actual violent criminal dying?

And Ugggh CATO institute... Try to think on your own please or come up with an original standpoint on an issue. I hate being force fed these news blurbs that are improperly analyzed by a bunch of drama queens.

I am not sure I have the time and money to devote to such surveys I have to rely on them. Plus this is pretty well known, its not like its partisan really.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Well I think our money that is spent on "The war or terrorism" could be better spent training officers how to calm a situation rather than brute force being the answer to everything. And yes, DHS should be involved Americans are dying on American soil and this is a problem.

Then go train them or join them if you know how to handle a situation so well.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
""He refused to give his ID," the officer said. "He got combative."
Read more at http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=28855780#F98TS3Q8MYIOfBTr.99"

This is really troubling...Why the hell do officers push the need to see ID so damn much? If you are not a criminal, you DON'T need to provide ID! Pretty damn simple.

Obviously we don't know all the details. Maybe Dad interfered on the investigation by jumping between them. Domestic Violence calls are taken very seriously and usually very little discretion is allowed, because of past lawsuits against depts. where police would say "Nahhh You're OK, what did you do to make him mad? Let him sleep on it" and then the other spouse gets murdered.

If Dad interfered and then became a dick, yes he would be required to show ID, but if it were me, I'd feel much more comfortable having said dick in handcuffs before wanting to know who specifically he was or if he was a dangerous person.

They maybe ASKED for ID, then the man became assaultive. If you get in a cops grill and flex, tighten fists, or god forbid you physically touch them (point finger on chest or chest bump) that's enough to fear imminent assault or the apprehension of physical assault....which guess what...is a crime.

-----------------------------------

Just to sum this up...for god's sake police out there....not providing ID is not a fucking crime :\

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
- they were defending themselves from loud music (and celebrated the successful defense by ordering pizza)
- they were defending themselves from opening the door to a drunk woman looking for help (it was a home invasion!)
- they were defending themselves for an egged car (they have high choloestorol!!)

There ARE corrupt cops. But, for some reason, there doesn't seem to be any corrupt citizens!

Building that many strawmen must be exhausting!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
#1 went to jail
http://nation.time.com/2014/02/16/music-shooting-michael-dunn-murder-florida/

#2 going to trial
http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2014/01/renisha-mcbrides-killer-pleads-guilty-june-trial-date-set/

#3 charged with 1st degree murder
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/...year-old-girl-for-egging-sons-car-as-a-prank/

None of these three people havent gotten away with it and very few people are defending them. But the police seem to get away with it 95% of the time.

Cleveland Steamer isn't interested in facts.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Just to sum this up...for god's sake police out there....not providing ID is not a fucking crime :\

Some states it is. Some states it depends. Some states not at all.

(OK is the latter)

Prediction: Paid disciplinary leave, DA will stall for 6 months, then decide against charges.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Some states it is. Some states it depends. Some states not at all.

(OK is the latter)

Prediction: Paid disciplinary leave, DA will stall for 6 months, then decide against charges.

Which states require you to provide ID? Not just identify yourself in an arrest situation, but provide state issued ID?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
As I've said before, the DOJ or FBI must setup a department to investigate these continuous cases of over zealous police activity that often results in wrongful deaths and maiming. Seems like a clear cut case of civil rights violations, which unless I am mistaken would fall under their prevue.

Oh wait, each dept. has an internal affairs division to sweep these cases under the rug. :rolleyes:

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008

Such bullshit. In all 3 of those instances those people are either already going to prison or are on trial for murder.

Someone, and I mean many someones all over the country, are going to start killing cops, a whole lot of them, unless they do a complete 180 and start curbing their brutality. That's not a threat, just an observation. The government has gotten far too nonchalant in their use of deadly force and abuse of authority.