Solved! PM1723b nvme SSD not showing capacity on windows10

Bobz ITguy

Dec 11, 2020
I bought a samsung PM1723b by EMC version. I can't format this disk on windows also this disk not showing capacity in windows-management-storage-disk management.
There may a problem at block size issue or TCG SED issue. I tried use sg3_utils to format it but failed. Anybody can help me out?

Solution
Try using Linux, and software tools made for NVMe rather than SCSI. First check lspci to ensure the NVMe controller is detected on the PCIe interface, then use nvme-cli to check what namespaces are allocated and what LBA formats they're using. If all that looks reasonable, try partitioning the drive and creating a filesystem under Linux to ensure basic read/write functionality works before attempting to make further progress using the drive under Windows.

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
Try using Linux, and software tools made for NVMe rather than SCSI. First check lspci to ensure the NVMe controller is detected on the PCIe interface, then use nvme-cli to check what namespaces are allocated and what LBA formats they're using. If all that looks reasonable, try partitioning the drive and creating a filesystem under Linux to ensure basic read/write functionality works before attempting to make further progress using the drive under Windows.

Solution

Bobz ITguy

Dec 11, 2020
Thanks dude! It's clear steps you provided I'll try it.

Bobz ITguy

Dec 11, 2020
I solved this problem under your guidance. Thanks a lot! The problem is about LBA format. After I modifide it with nvmecli then everything is working normally.