plz help w/TV recommendation - LCD ~32" must have ability to stream from media server

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
I'd like to buy a new TV for the bedroom but it must have an intuitive interface to access the shared network drive that has all our movies/TV.

Also, access to Netflix etc... I do have an ethernet port close, so wifi isn't a requirement.

I'd prefer LCD over plasma since I can't put up with all the glare. Price isn't a huge factor, I just need it to be relatively simple for my wife to operate.

What would you guys recommend?

thanks a ton.

EDIT: I should also say that we probably won't have a cable box connected to this TV - so it won't have HD access other than what's streamed from my media server.

Those files will be a mix of .avi, .mkv and 264.. so, it would be great if the TV supported all those formats.

Last edited:

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
I think it might be better if I went the HTPC route. I'm doing this already in the living room - using XBMC as the frontend - and it's working great.

I do have a spare PC with XP just sitting around I can use.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
That is what I was going to suggest. That way it can play any file and you can get a TV based on value.