Plumbing question

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
My disposal unit is acting wierd. When i flip on the switch it turn it about half a revolution then it stop but u hear the motor trying to turn the thing. Ive already emptied out the top half, basicalyl what i could access without disassembling the thing. Ive also tried using an allen wrench and i was able to get the impler to rotate without any problems so it seems odd the motor is not able to do it.

any ideas? and how much does a replacement disposal usually run?

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
They aren't that hard to replace. Most units have good instructions, get one that has stainless internals.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Ornery
Nope, it usually requires a plumbing crew of at least three people... :laugh:

Ain't hard!

;)

Chances are the seal went bad and water has been leaking into the motor.
KitchenAid disposers turn in different directions everytime you turn them on so it's easy to un-jam them. Just flick the switch on-off-on-off....

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
w00t, just finished the installation, friend came over with some tools i needed and we got the job done in an hour and a half. Not too bad

KMurphy

Golden Member
May 16, 2000
Sounds like the start/run capacitor went out; not the motor. Much cheaper to replace that than the entire motor.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: KMurphy
Sounds like the start/run capacitor went out; not the motor. Much cheaper to replace that than the entire motor.

I dont think i would be able to debug the electronic components, i just replaced teh whole darn thing

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Mo0o

I dont think i would be able to debug the electronic components, i just replaced teh whole darn thing

probably the best thing anyway. If it's starting to crap out, just buy a new one

KMurphy

Golden Member
May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: redly1

probably the best thing anyway. If it's starting to crap out, just buy a new one

Would you say that if the video card in your computer crapped out? Just replace the whole computer anyway? An electric motor's life is measured in decades. The capacitor is a $5-$10 part and is usually accessible from the outside of the motor enclosure for ease of replacement. Nothing hard about it.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

Would you say that if the video card in your computer crapped out? Just replace the whole computer anyway? An electric motor's life is measured in decades. The capacitor is a $5-$10 part and is usually accessible from the outside of the motor enclosure for ease of replacement. Nothing hard about it.

No, I wouldn't (nor am I who you were addressing) ;), but I know plenty of people who would. I also know that in all of the houses I've lived in, no garbage disposal has lasted more than 8-10 years, given frequent use.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
I've replaced disposals several times.

It's a real easy DIY project.

Buy a disposal with a strong motor & good sound insulation.

Just get all your water connections well aligned before you tighten them up so there's no stress on any joints. You will probably have a small line comming in from the dishwasher or air gap, and a large line from the other side of a 2-well sink.

Buy a little plastic jar of plumber's putty to put under the drain ring that sits in your sink.
And buy a little roll of teflon pipe thread tape & put abhout 3 or 4 winds around the female side of any pipe connections, except do NOT put thread tape on any compression fitting connections.

Make the electric cord loop down & back up to the power outlet, forming a low point for any water leak to drip off that's lower than the elect. outlet.

It's really easy.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Not the same. One's totally electronic, the other's mostly mechanical, and possibly water damaged. I might pull it apart for shlts & giggles, but by the time I've spent my morning pulling it all apart, I'd feel inclined just to throw a new one in. It's a far cry from loosening a screw and swapping a video card labor-wise.