Plextor or TDK?

mikef208

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
I need evryones opinion on which burner is better. The contenders here are the Iomega 12x10x32(which is actually a remarked plextor at the same speeds, which i did get in the compusa deal), or the TDK either at 12x10x32 or the new one at 16x10x40. Please don't everybody say that the faster TDK is better just because it is faster. Speed is a big factor but not the only one. I picked up the plextor just because it was cheap and it got good reviews, but it seems like in the reviews the TDK always beat it and now I see the even faster TDK. Please help.

Fumiup

Sep 24, 2000
The TDK 12x10x32 is a Plextor too!!! :)

You can change the TDK into a Plextor the same as the Iomega.

mikef208

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
I just found out that the TDK is a plextor. Also I am talking the IDE drives not the SCSI versions. I'm sorry i did not specify that earlier. So please keep your comments toward the IDE versions. So what your basically saying is that unless I want the extra software, or in the case of the 16x, the extra speed, then I might as well stick with the Iomega I have coming?

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Plextor 12/10/32 = TDK 12/10/32 = Iomega 12/10/32, they are all exactly the same drive. I know, I have all three of them. If you have a ZipCD coming you have a Plextor. You can change the ID sting in it to a Plextor so you can take advantage of Plextor's timely firmware updates.

jammin

Dec 6, 2000
I had the TDK for a week and from the start the CD tray seemed flimsy to me. After burning for a week the CD's started getting stuck in the drive. I took it back and the store didn't have anymore,so I got the Plextor 12x10x32,totally different tray design,solid as a rock.The TDK burned o.k. but the tray problem turned me off, maybe I just had a defective drive.