Plextor M5P 512GB installed :-)

paulobao

Sep 12, 2012
Hi,

I received my Plextor M5P 512 GB today
smile.gif
Could not resist and it is already installed and running...like the wind! What a difference compared to my Seagate Momentus 7200.4. I'm running a Tecra R840 laptop, and now everything loads quickly! The Win boot is phenomenal
smile.gif
Everything went smooth, which was great! Zero issues, and I restore it to factory state and then removed almost all the bloatware/sw that I do not use/need!

Now I need (?) to make some tweaks, right ?

1- Defrag is already schedulled to never...so it is ok, right?
2- Should I disable restore (restore points)? (pros/cons)
3- Should I disable Write-caching to the ssd? (pros/cons)
4- Should I disable "allow files in this drive to have contents indexed in adition to file properties" ?

Anything else? (I just want a robust and reliable system! I do not need anything faster...!)

I will appreciate all the help
smile.gif

Regards,
paulo

dsc007820large.jpg

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Nice!

1-yes, leave it disabled
2- up to you, i turn this off since it takes up space. You can always do a backup image to an external HDD
3- not sure....
4- I disable it, many SSD guides out there suggest it

check if TRIM is enabled
Open Command Prompt with Administrative privileges (Run as administrator) and enter the following command:
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If the result is '0' TRIM is enabled.

Zxian

May 26, 2011
Windows won't ever defrag an SSD. Even with my RAID0 array, telling the defrag program to run on "all drives" skips over my system drive, but still defrags my spinning scratch disks. You can disable it if you want if the SSD is the only drive in that system, but it won't change anything.

If you have the space, restore points can be a useful thing to keep around. There's little harm in having them.

I would allow write-caching to the SSD, especially on a laptop. Write-caching can cause issues if your system is writing data to disk during a power loss. On a laptop, this is usually never an issue.

I don't bother with disabling indexing. Searching an indexed location is still going to be much faster than the manual seek will be (even on an SSD). The days of worrying about every last byte written to an SSD are long gone, and you still get faster searching through your files if you leave things to the defaults and make use of the library locations.

paulobao

Sep 12, 2012
Thanks Zxian!
So, no need to do anything special, just leave as it was! GREAT :)

Cheers,
paulo

paulobao

Sep 12, 2012
Just one more thing I forgot: hibernate-yes/no? With the hdd I used hibernate all the time! I know ssd is mucc more quick to boot, but even so...Any problem with hibernation and ssd?

thanks,
paulo

hhhd1

Apr 8, 2012
Just one more thing I forgot: hibernate-yes/no? With the hdd I used hibernate all the time! I know ssd is mucc more quick to boot, but even so...Any problem with hibernation and ssd?

thanks,
paulo
No problem with hibernate, leave it as you wish.

Disable it only if you are running out of space or need few extra GBs.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
1- Defrag is already schedulled to never...so it is ok, right?
2- Should I disable restore (restore points)? (pros/cons)
3- Should I disable Write-caching to the ssd? (pros/cons)
4- Should I disable "allow files in this drive to have contents indexed in adition to file properties" ?

1) yeah
2) this is a personal decision. Space vs. having backup restore points.
3) no. This is an absolute performance gain, why would you disable them? You won't run out of write cycles anytime soon unless you have a very specific usage pattern that no "typical" user actually has.
4) Personal choice. Makes searches faster, but can result in usage when you don't want it. There's no technical / hardware reason to disable this.

Eeqmcsq

Jan 6, 2009
If this is your 1st SSD, welcome to the SSD world. You will never look at HDDs the same again.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
First off when OS detects SSD it turns off defrag. It also turns off ReadyBoot and ReadyBoost.

You made a smart choice buying 512GB now you can put everything on it. Your OS apps, data, games videos,,, I have 16 games installed and DAW ,,, I still have 140GB free. :) As for that option in device manager when you go to to your SSD policies or whatever,, leave it alone, leave it check. Just dont check the 2nd box.... make sure swap file is 0.

Enjoy!

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I'm curious what kind of smartctl output you get from that drive.
Could you please post that here ?
The reason I ask is because my plextor M3 only has 7 fields for the output, but my crucial M4 has 23 fields. I'm wondering if the M5 has more output than the plextor M3.

I only know for linux, so whatever windows app you use should be ok.
thanks

Last edited:

jwilliams4200

Apr 10, 2009
Here's the output of gsmartcontrol for a 128GB M5P.

The M5P does have a couple more attributes than my M3P. But gsmartcontrol is just guessing about the meaning of the attributes (from comparison to other attributes for other SSDs) since I don't think Plextor officially documents the SMART attributes anywhere.

The two new attributes may very well be correctly identified, however. They do seem to be counting writes and reads.

rQYzm.png

Tdavis5432

Sep 2, 2002
Hmm swap file set to 0?? Interesting, for what reason?

First off when OS detects SSD it turns off defrag. It also turns off ReadyBoot and ReadyBoost.

You made a smart choice buying 512GB now you can put everything on it. Your OS apps, data, games videos,,, I have 16 games installed and DAW ,,, I still have 140GB free. :) As for that option in device manager when you go to to your SSD policies or whatever,, leave it alone, leave it check. Just dont check the 2nd box.... make sure swap file is 0.

Enjoy!

paulobao

Sep 12, 2012
I'm curious what kind of smartctl output you get from that drive.
Could you please post that here ?
The reason I ask is because my plextor M3 only has 7 fields for the output, but my crucial M4 has 23 fields. I'm wondering if the M5 has more output than the plextor M3.

I only know for linux, so whatever windows app you use should be ok.
thanks

Hi,

that's too much for my expertise (lack of it :).
Could you tell me how to do taht and explain what the results should mean?

Thanks a lot for the comments and tips :)

paulo

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
Hi,

that's too much for my expertise (lack of it :).
Could you tell me how to do taht and explain what the results should mean?

Thanks a lot for the comments and tips :)

paulo

Just like jwilliams4200 did above.
There are likely more programs that do similar if you search around, i'm not familiar with them all.