PLEX htpc remote access help plz.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
I'm struggling getting plex to work from anywhere other than my home network. I make sure it's logged in, it connects on port 32400 every time. Port is opened on the router with port forwarding directing traffic to my plex server. My ISP isn't blocking traffic through the port. Weird thing is, I can't ping the port from a remote computer. I can ping the computer ip address just fine. I'm using the latest Plex media server and plex app on my ipad and iphone. I've even tried manually adding the connection to the app on my ipad and iphone with no luck. Any help?:oops:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
You'd probably have better luck asking on the Plex forums.

I thought you had to configure that server info in plex, then log into the myplex portion before it would work from the remote side. I've used it, but it's been forever since I set it up.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
For some reason, it started working....probably a minor bug somewhere. Hopefully it doesn't quit.

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
For some reason, it started working....probably a minor bug somewhere. Hopefully it doesn't quit.

I have been using Plex for years now, across iOS 5-8, WP7-8, Android 4.2-4.4, OS X 10.6-10.9, Windows 7-8.1 and WHS 2011+ Server 2012E.R2.

Very bluntly put - it is riddled with bugs. What works today may not tomorrow. Unfort i have not had the energy to educate myself with anything else that works across so many platforms. I guess it's the best out there. :|

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I haven't been using PLEX for that long, but the only consistent problem that I have is with their TheTVDB scraper. It loves to bomb out, which completely hoses a metadata directory. I actually wrote a quick piece of software that reads the log and deletes the erroneous folder so the scraper will actually complete... or I can just use AbsTVDB, which was designed to handle series with more than 100 episodes per season.

As for the remote connecting, mine just worked... most likely using uPNP.