Please suggest some books to me

Finns14

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2005
I mean my favorite books I would have to say are fantasy and my favorite author would be Chuck Palahniuk of Fight Club fame so as you can tell I am open for pretty much anything fiction and non. Thanks for the help!

Finns14

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2005
You know what I have never picked up a tom clancy book although I have played the video games with his name sake, is this a good one to start with?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Yes, it's probably one of the best ones to start with. It's a nice intro to Clark. For a list of chronologically-written books, check out Tom Clancy's Wiki entry.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
idk Tom Clancy novels are so cliche 30 something male but they are not bad. idk one of my favorite books is called Youth in Revolt about a 15 year old kid with divorced parents and a girlfriend who lives out of town and its basically a comedy about his adventures. Good reading if you dont feel like getting too emotionally involved in a book and just want to relax.

Finns14

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2005
Some of my other favorite books are classic Sci-Fi fahrenheit 451 1984, brave new world, The magic of recluse series, James Paterson books (as long as I don't read them in a row cause they blend into one book)

Rill22

Oct 5, 2005
I'm a sucker for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Well, the first half of them at least. They've gone downhill lately, but I've come much too far to quit now.

I'd love ideas for books too. I just finished some classics I never got a chance to read (Atlas Shrugged, 1984, etc.), and have started The Winds of War at the recommendation of some friends, but any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: jandrews
idk Tom Clancy novels are so cliche 30 something male but they are not bad. idk one of my favorite books is called Youth in Revolt about a 15 year old kid with divorced parents and a girlfriend who lives out of town and its basically a comedy about his adventures. Good reading if you dont feel like getting too emotionally involved in a book and just want to relax.

There's a reason why he's repeatedly on the NY Times best seller list.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Finns14
Some of my other favorite books are classic Sci-Fi fahrenheit 451 1984, brave new world, The magic of recluse series, James Paterson books (as long as I don't read them in a row cause they blend into one book)

Have you read Asimov's iRobot?

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
You can start reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It is a total of 7 books. I am on book 4 and it is interesting so far but from what i heard the ending was dissapointing.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: BKLounger
You can start reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It is a total of 7 books. I am on book 4 and it is interesting so far but from what i heard the ending was dissapointing.

I finished this series a few weeks ago, not bad and he does get quite wordy but it is interesting. I guess it all depends what you are looking for.

Do you want to read just for fun and pure entertainment? Do you want to read to really learn something? Do you want simple dumb humor that will entertain and not cause to much strain on the mind? Do you want to educate yourself on the classics? Sure Tom Clancy/Stephen King are great entertaining stories but there is so much more out there I hate to just see these authors encompassed.

Finns14

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: HammerCurl
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Just finished it, was a great one

That was a great book thanks for the thought

Originally posted by: GuideBot
Originally posted by: Finns14

Have you read Asimov's iRobot?

Course what kinda closet nerd would I be if I didn't . Thank you

Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Read up on your Heinlein :)

Stranger in a Strange Land is def in my top 5 books also love Starship Troopers the movie more so then the book but they were both good.

Originally posted by: BKLounger

Finished the whole series the end was a total rip off. Loved the journey though.

Im a pretty well read 21 year old wouldn't you say :p

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
I am enjoying Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen.
His next one is being realesed on the 18th.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
the ender's game series by orson scott card if you haven't already. if you want a higher level, i really enjoyed Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. a good book about philosophy and logic.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
the ender's game series by orson scott card if you haven't already.

:thumbsup:

I also have been liking World War Z, even though im not done with it yet.

Finns14

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
the ender's game series by orson scott card if you haven't already. if you want a higher level, i really enjoyed Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. a good book about philosophy and logic.

Thank you they are some of my favorites as well. I have read the ender as well as the bean series.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Pick up The Short Works of Lord Dunsany

It's a bunch of his short stories. His writing just amazing. One review about him said that he can do in 4 pages what it takes other writers to do in 400. That's a pretty accurate description in my opinion.