Please suggest an ideal upgrade to Logitech Z906 speakers?

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
So i've been using the Z906 5.1 speakers for around 6 years now and subwoofer + console have finally given up on me. Now i'm very very used to the brilliant audio quality of these speakers.
I use it for my desktop pc. What would be an ideal upgrade from this?
Thanks in advance.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
i'm sorry. I'm ok with the current price of the z906, which might be somewhere around 250 USD.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Do you want to stay with 5.1, or did you want something with more or less speakers?

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Do you want to stay with 5.1, or did you want something with more or less speakers?
i'm really ok with a 5.1 setup. However, I wouldn't mind a decent 2.1 setup as well. I checked a few reviews for the Bose companion series and liked it. However, the general fan consensus around the internet is that they aren't as great as advertised.

I honestly just don't want to end up with speakers sounding inferior to the Z906, that is my only preference.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I like the AudioEngine A2+ in your price range. They are only stereo, but they sound great. There is a sub you can buy, but that would be over budget.

A friend of mine has the JBL Professional 306P MkII. Still only a 2.0 setup, but they sound outstanding.

My last choice is why not get what you already have? The Z906 are still for sale, and you already know you like them. I see that Oyeve agrees.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
the klipsh promedia are in that price range and get good reviews
its 2.1, and thx certified

Wow I didn’t know that they were still being made. I had the 4.1 set, and they were awesome.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I would just get another set of them. They are still being sold.
My last choice is why not get what you already have? The Z906 are still for sale, and you already know you like them. I see that Oyeve agrees.

Hmm yes, that doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. I just thought that in all these years there'd be something better at this price range. Pleasantly surprised at how good these still are.

the klipsh promedia are in that price range and get good reviews
its 2.1, and thx certified
I'll check out some of the reviews and get back. At work right now.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
I run DJ shows with equipment in the pro audio level.
This is what I'm currently running in my studio to simulate what I am hearing on stage before performances.

DragonFly Red USB DAC; $200
JitterBug USB filter; $60
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX speakers; $150
ZMX122FX - Mixer; $120
Livewire Elite Interconnect Y-Cable 3.5 mm TRS Male to 1/4" TS Male 9 ft. Black [x2]; $60

ProMedia 2.1 is extremely balanced, but it's like moonshine without the right technologies. Sounds like junk with onboard audio, and without proper tuning, you might as well not upgrade from your current speakers, because you're not really upgrading, you're just testing out different speakers.
The physical drivers and controllers on these speakers are only sampling or amplifying what's coming out from the source.
ProMedia 2.1 offers great, flat audio and smoothes out increased depth with the THX engine. Companions are slightly enhanced on their own, which are good for minimalists, but if you can do a subwoofer, get a subwoofer.

Some thoughts about the "upgrade" and price range you're staying in-
FLAC/WAV/320k versus 128k audio, it will all pretty much sound extremely similar on a generic sound card and decent speakers. So if you're using onboard audio or an X-fi and expect something night and day amazing, don't be too surprised. High-end audio sound cards don't offer the depth of quality DAC's. DragonFly Red will replace the soundcard and offer audio reprocessing (DAC), but not without spiking elements where a USB filter, mixer and quality wires are needed to tune for the final outputs.
Basically, moonshine, where the sun is the source of light and heat, and we see glimpses of the bigger picture when the Earth rotates at different angles.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Hmm yes, that doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. I just thought that in all these years there'd be something better at this price range. Pleasantly surprised at how good these still are.

I'll check out some of the reviews and get back. At work right now.

Wouldn't waste your time on the Klipsch ProMedia speakers unless you like failures after a year or so. I've run through three sets, each expiring at about a year. Bought a set new, then warranty twice. Seems there are issues in the sub that controls everything else....most likely Klipsch using substandard capacitors in the sub....at least that's what others have found when disassembling them after theirs had failed outside warranty period.

Heck, I've got my third set sitting in a box.....it's about to completely fail which is why they sit in their box. Went with an old Kenwood receiver getting output from the computer playing through a pair of old Mission M71 bookshelf speakers. Frankly, sounds better than the Klipsch.