Please someone explain "The Shining" to me

snes tor

Banned
Sep 3, 2006
I just watched this movie for the first time on Spike today, and I have to say is.. What the hell? Ok at first it seemed easy. Then there's a servent saying he's always been the care taker, and then a guy in bear costume giving oral sex, then the picture of Jack dated in the 20's. I IMDB'd the movie and google'd it a little bit, but that didn't do much but point out more stuff i don't understand. Some please break it down for me.

All i know now is that I have to put this movie in line on Netflix so i can watch it again.

S

SlitheryDee

The kubrick version doesn't exactly stick to the original story. Go read the book and that'll clear some stuff up.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Willie - You've got the Shinning!

Bart - Don't you mean, "The Shining"?

Willie - Hush, you wanna be sued?

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: snes tor
I just watched this movie for the first time on Spike today, and I have to say is.. What the hell? Ok at first it seemed easy. Then there's a servent saying he's always been the care taker, and then a guy in bear costume giving oral sex, then the picture of Jack dated in the 20's. I IMDB'd the movie and google'd it a little bit, but that didn't do much but point out more stuff i don't understand. Some please break it down for me.

All i know now is that I have to put this movie in line on Netflix so i can watch it again.

Which version did you watch? The 1982 (?) version by Stanley Kubrick or the remake that Steven King prefers? And I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the guy in a bear costume. Did I miss that scene? I've seen both films but have no recollection of that.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
amazing book... pretty much the only book that's ever really scared me.

you've got to read it during the winter, though.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I prefer the little know third version. It begins with a lingering close-up of a pair of badly scuffed boots. Later on, there is some obvious product placement by Kiwi boot wax. A sturdy brush and a chamois cloth both play key parts in the ongoing plot development.

I'd tell you more, but that would be tantamount to giving the whole thing away. Scatman Carruthers has a much more central role in this version, and the Nicholson part is played by Tom Cruise, who goes crazy when he finally sees his idiot reflection in the fiercely shined boots.

In real life, insiders say this is what drove Cruise to Scientology, but, personally, I think that dickless wonder was one big tool all along.

It's deep, this version. All it lacks are bunnies.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: loki8481
amazing book... pretty much the only book that's ever really scared me.

you've got to read it during the winter, though.

QFT... pretty much my favorite SK novel in fact!

Neither movie even began to do it justice.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
redrum is murder spelled backwards. Bet y'all didn't know that.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KK
redrum is murder spelled backwards. Bet y'all didn't know that.
Not in the little seen third movie version (see above) it isn't. There, redrum is murder spelled backwards.

I told you it was deep.