Question Please say hello and welcome back to Diamond Multimedia

Jul 27, 2020
Amazon.com: Diamond AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT PCIe Gaming Graphics Card with 8GB GDDR6 Memory AMD RDNA 2 (RX6600XTD68G) : Electronics

Diamond Multimedia - Wikipedia

1664030774852.png

Anyone still have their old cards to this day? How was / is the card? Any complaints?

I remember seeing tons of their ads during the 3dfx era and I think it was a top tier brand.

Notice that the Wikipedia entry does not list the 6600 XT. Anyone know how long this card has been selling? Did anyone happen to buy it? If yes, please do relate your user experience.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Diamond, Saphire, Ruby... Ironic given where AMD ended up financially for a good long while there.

If we're going to get blasts from the past, I'd love to see AMD return to tech demos and such.

Reactions: psolord

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Their customer service back in the Radeon HD 7000 era was abysmal.
They seemed to be HIS designs knock offs.
I had to send 2 HD 7850s for RMAs at the 11 month mark. Their warranty was only 1 year.
The cards were developing memory issues.
They would post fine, display image fine without drivers, but as soon as a driver was installed, they would crash

They took forever to check them, and just sent them back to me as they were.
All the testing they did was "yes, they display image, it is good"

I sent them the cards again, explaining that the issue was once drivers were installed.
This time they argued that they were no longer under warranty.
Back and forth, until they said "ok, they are still under warranty"

Then, they claimed they couldn't find them, as in physically they lost them.
Took weeks at this stage
I had to write the CA attorney general, and then, suddenly, my cards appeared again at their facility
They just sent them back to me. The card were still in my packaging, they never took them out.

I decided it was not worth to involve them anymore, so I just baked them.
One of them seemed to have a cracked solder trace, it worked fine after the baking.
The other didn't.

So, asking the question, how was the experience?
MISERABLE!
I would not buy even a cable from these crooks.

Alex

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Now a clearance junk brand for PowerColor? No thanks.

They were a brand I used back in the 3Dfx days, and I liked their products back then. Now, they are just another defunct brand used for nostalgic marketing. Kodak, Gateway, Polaroid, etc.

Look at the effort PowerColor has put into their website LOL.

https://www.diamondmm.com/product-category/video-cards/
First: Are we sure it's PowerColor?
Second: Didn't DiamondMM have a lot of retail B&M shelf-space? At Staples, etc.? Maybe some of those distribution contracts are still in force, or PowerColor wants a chunk of the retail market.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
They used to be a big brand for both Nvidia and 3dfx. I had their TNT and Voodoo2 cards, and eventually sold them to someone on here many years later. I think someone bought up their brand and assets at a throwaway price and are just using the name now.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
First: Are we sure it's PowerColor?
Second: Didn't DiamondMM have a lot of retail B&M shelf-space? At Staples, etc.? Maybe some of those distribution contracts are still in force, or PowerColor wants a chunk of the retail market.
Without looking into it very much, from Googling PowerColor is owned by TUL Corporation, and Diamond Multimedia was later added as a subsidiary of PowerColor. TUL Corporation uses Foxconn to manufacturer their GPUs.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Without looking into it very much, from Googling PowerColor is owned by TUL Corporation, and Diamond Multimedia was later added as a subsidiary of PowerColor. TUL Corporation uses Foxconn to manufacturer their GPUs.
It's just IP and resources having been bought up at some point, as these things are. The marketing wizards have dusted off the assets files for ideas, and taken the opportunity to print some packages hoping that slapping a "nostalgic name" on them will drive some measurable burst in revenue.

Such that everyone can give each other a job well done.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I think I had a couple Diamond cards. I think my last one might have been a 5870, which I had in CF with an XFX card. A while before that, I think the ATI 9600XT all in wonder was from Diamond.