Please recommend an set of input device for my htpc

soulbadguy

Jul 1, 2013
Hello,
I am looking for recommendation for HTPC input devices; The keyboard part is easy enough, but i am having a lot of trouble finding something for mouse/mouse pad/ pointing device;
If there something like the LG TV remove for pc ? couldnt find any...
What are you guys using are a remote for htpc ?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm using a Logitech K400+. I've only had it for a week, but so far I like it.

wireless-touch-keyboard-k400-plus.png

soulbadguy

Jul 1, 2013
I was more leaning toward a pointing device like the mentioned lg remote; How is the track pad on the logtech? compared to say a laptop

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I was more leaning toward a pointing device like the mentioned lg remote; How is the track pad on the logtech? compared to say a laptop

It's pretty decent - something like a mid-rage laptop. I tend to use the keyboard for navigation just out of habit though. I've tried a few of these type of keyboards and this is by far the best I've used.

Lewy

Aug 22, 2001
I like the K400 plus too; it's both cheap and good The couch mice always break but the K400 plus keeps on working and is much harder to lose. It takes a little getting use too and I suggest turning it off when you go to bed to conserve the batteries but they last pretty long anyway.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Well . . . you could have a keyboard and mouse active, and use a remote control device at the same time.

Just the other day, I found a web-site article on How-To-Geek and a complete guide to re-programming a Windows Media Center Green-button Remote. There is still a supply of those devices, and the prices seem modest in some cases. You can also use a programmable remote like the Harmony models I need to refresh my memory, but that was key word to the model line.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Had a K400, it was OK but feels pretty cheap. Was much happier with the K830. Just be aware they made two versions of the K830, one with Bluetooth and one without. The only way to tell which one you're getting is by the box.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Had a K400, it was OK but feels pretty cheap. Was much happier with the K830. Just be aware they made two versions of the K830, one with Bluetooth and one without. The only way to tell which one you're getting is by the box.

I made the same switch, and I'd also recommend it. Although, that's on the bedroom HTPC. On the living room HTPC, I use a Logitech G613 + G903 or a Harmony Smart Keyboard (swaps between the active device).