Please recommend a new camera like a Canon PowerShot A80

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I love my PowerShot A80. Sadly it started malfunctioning to the point where it's now impossible to take pictures, and it needs to be replaced.

IMO, it takes much better pictures both indoors and outside when compared to new small cameras such as Sony CyberShot, CanonDigital ELPH or the Olympus. I bought both a Sony and Olympus in Costco and returned them immediately due to the exaggerated unnatural colors and absolutely horrible indoor performance. This was about a year ago. I spoke to some people back then and apparently the quality is so bad because of a small sensor on these cameras... I can hardly believe that the sensor on these modern cameras can be smaller than my 13 year old Canon PowerShot A80.

Anyway, I am looking for something that:

1)Takes descent quality indoor and night shots.
2)Has realistic colors.
3)Has an optical viewfinder. (this is an absolute must)
4)Uses AA batteries. (I suppose I can do without this feature, but it would be nice to have)
5)Has a very sturdy case. Preferably metal.
6)Cost $250 or less.
7)Uses relatively cheap, readily available media to store pictures.

My Canon had all of these features, and I want something that at least can match it.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
optical viewfinders are almost dead. outside of the canon G series they're nearly an afterthought, tiny little things that are difficult to see through and don't show much of the frame.

frankly AA batteries isn't a positive feature anymore. yes, you can buy alkalines practically everywhere for emergency use, but they really are limited to emergency use as i doubt they'd power a camera for more than a couple dozen shots. so you're using rechargeables anyway. if you've got a bunch of eneloops already then you might as well use them, i suppose.

that said, the canon A1100IS basically meets your requirements. optical finder, SD cards, canon's compact cameras are usually at or near the top on IQ from such small things, AA batteries. it may have a plastic body, not sure. $130 at newegg.

Last edited:

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
optical viewfinders are almost dead. outside of the canon G series they're nearly an afterthought, tiny little things that are difficult to see through and don't show much of the frame.

frankly AA batteries isn't a positive feature anymore. yes, you can buy alkalines practically everywhere for emergency use, but they really are limited to emergency use as i doubt they'd power a camera for more than a couple dozen shots. so you're using rechargeables anyway. if you've got a bunch of eneloops already then you might as well use them, i suppose.

that said, the canon A1100IS basically meets your requirements. optical finder, SD cards, canon's compact cameras are usually at or near the top on IQ from such small things, AA batteries. it may have a plastic body, not sure. $130 at newegg.

You make a good point about the optical viewfinder. I suppose I can live without one. The main reason why I think one is a must is because if the LCD fails, the camera can still be used albeit with much less shooting options.

As for AAs I do have eneloops, and they are infinitely better than those built in rechargeables cameras have nowadays. Eneloops hold a charge for obscenely long amounts of time. My parents crappy olympus loses charge in about two weeks when not in use. My canon could lay in my closet for months, I would pull it out and it would work like I just charged it. On one hand new camera batteries can be had on ebay for cheap. But on the other hand, can they be easily bought 13 years after camera's release date? ; ) AA batteries can. Again, like I said, I can live without a camera that uses AAs. Just thought it would be nice to have this option.

That camera you recommended looks just like my A80 and seems to be on par with it in just about every way. I will definitely consider buying it.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
But on the other hand, can they be easily bought 13 years after camera's release date? ; )
camera probably won't work anymore by then :)