Please recommend a jet fighter sim

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
I have been a long time enthusiast of the IL2 WW2 simulator. Now, I want to try a modern jet combat simulator. It doesn't have to be super-modern with F-22 and F-35, but it should have at least F-15, F-16, and Mig29 era fighters.

I am very interested in the game having realistic physics and aircraft performance that matches the real-life performance of the jets.

Graphics are not incredibly important as long as they are not extremely out-dated. Although, cutting-edge graphics would be a welcome bonus.

I plan on playing mostly single-player but I would consider inviting a few friends to play multiplayer if possible.

I have a Saitek X45, rudder pedals, and a TrackIR.

I appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2004
Are there any fun flying online multiplayer combat games out there? Space combat would be fine, too.

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
If you want probably the most realistic military flight sim currently available, nothing really beats the DCS series right now. You can dive head first into DCS A-10C and take quite a while to get up to speed. Amazing flight model, physics, realism, and graphics.

I also vote for Falcon 4.0 with BMS though, because I absolutely love that game, even when it was vanilla 4.0. I don't do it anymore, but I remember sketching out my entire flight/mission plan before I'd start, and well it was just omgwtfawesome. lol

Both games will make full use of that awesome TrackIR btw.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Eh..the problem with jet fighter sims in the modern era is that you usually should defeat your enemy before they are ever in visual range.

It's more of a "management" aspect to flying vs. a knee-jerk/aerobatic shooter

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Eh..the problem with jet fighter sims in the modern era is that you usually should defeat your enemy before they are ever in visual range.

Not necessarily with A-10C or Black Shark. Both aircraft are more close range brawler types.

Mogadon

Aug 30, 2004

A2A is just one component.

Like the above poster hinted at, sims like A10 and Blackshark are based around ground attack aircraft, hence the focus of the sim is ground attack, the mission of the aircraft.

You can feasibly spend 100's of hours playing DCS A10 and never get into an A2A situation. That may sounds kind of boring until you actually start, it can be a fascinating experience.

Also, follow some of the advice about, grab a great flight stick and throttle.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
DCS recently released DCS World on Steam. You can go and play the SU-25T "Frogfoot" pack free. But the A10C Warthog, Ka-50 Black Shark, P-51D Mustang, Combined Arms, etc are all addons that cost their regular game price.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
war thunder is very arcade-y. Quite fun, but if you want anything close to a simulator, I would pass. However, if you are fine with the lightness of what war thunder offers, it is a good game.

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
I really wanted to try out Falcon 4.0 BMS tonight but I read this in their FAQ.

Q: What software do I need to install BMS? The installer is asking for the location of the original Falcon CD. What if I have Falcon 4.0: Allied Force? Will that work?

A: You need the original Falcon 4.0 and the BMS installer. F4:AF will not work.

I have Falcon 4.0 AF. I might have to purchase the original. Is the BMS part free?

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
NVM I found the answer in the FAQ.

"The BMS community add-on is available to you for FREE and we're sharing the fruits of our labor as a way to give back to a community that has given a lot to us over time. We would hope everyone can and will see the betterment of the game we all enjoy playing in the same way."