Discussion Please kill me if I ever get called for jury duty again

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Well a lot woman with 2-year olds work.
This was about 1975/76, and we had no child care in place, as my wife had a full time job, a mom to a 2-year-old.

This was back when a single breadwinner could easily provide for a family, purchase a house, cars, and pay the bills, with money left over for vacations, etc. Besides, she was the best person to raise our child.

And even the 'working mother' gets to see the child after work. Not an option in a high profile case where the jury is sequestered.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Would be nice not wasting three hours calling roll for ~120 people and going through 30 petitions for exemptions.

Last time I got called I sat nearly all day. Knowing that I'd be kicked from the jury because attorneys almost always are, by whichever side thinks the nature of your law practice will bias you against them. It's boring, but doesn't happen but once every 10 years.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Last time I got called I sat nearly all day. Knowing that I'd be kicked from the jury because attorneys almost always are, by whichever side thinks the nature of your law practice will bias you against them. It's boring, but doesn't happen but once every 10 years.
On some level its sad because I think juries would actually be more fair and objective if the defense and prosecution didn't get to pick who was on it. Basically they get whoever they get and just have to deal with it. I remember hearing about how in the south, prosecutor basically try to avoid having black people on juries and things like that. Just blatant biases being introduced into the justice system. We may be better off with a grab all system where 12 people are picked and its whoever. No ifs and or buts. No more 300 people going down to just 12. Just 12 people and thats it.