Question please help with repair display for HP 256 G3

HammerFall86

Jun 5, 2022
:rolleyes: my general questions for PRO repair guys are:
* if any 15,6"whatever matt or glare LCD screen can be input as replacement or if them are unique to laptop model? :unsure:
*and is it only 40 pin (specifically to motherboard) LCD/LED cable is unique or as a screen can be used any 40 pin cable? :unsure:
* please enlighten me with insider info as I do struggle to understand of is it specifically marketing move or really every screen and cables are unique ;)

I have bee told by my sister that a cat jumped on laptop, it fell on the floor and now pins that hold a screen are damaged and especially cables that been attached to it :homer:
otherwise a price of a new display specifically to that old laptop not even worth it...😕

Thank you guys a lot for an info and your time! I really appreciate your help for a noob like me ;) (y)

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Panelook.com

I've done a couple of swaps and advised on several more. I convert fhd to uhd and the latest involved a pitch converters from 0.5 > 0.4.

Grab hwinfo to get your current panel info / model number and we can go from there.

HammerFall86

Jun 5, 2022
Panelook.com

I've done a couple of swaps and advised on several more. I convert fhd to uhd and the latest involved a pitch converters from 0.5 > 0.4.

Grab hwinfo to get your current panel info / model number and we can go from there.
do you mean display model nr (if so,where to look)? i do not understand...otherwise I have laptop model above...

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Download HWINFO

Open it and go under display to grab the display model number.

With the model number go to panelook.com and find the panel. From there we have the specs / connectors needed to find a suitable replacement if the panel is dead or if you want to upgrade to something better.

Since it's an old laptop there should be options anywhere from $50 - $100 for a panel and cables tend to be cheap at $10-$20 depending on the panel / connectors.

HammerFall86

Jun 5, 2022
Download HWINFO

Open it and go under display to grab the display model number.

With the model number go to panelook.com and find the panel. From there we have the specs / connectors needed to find a suitable replacement if the panel is dead or if you want to upgrade to something better.

Since it's an old laptop there should be options anywhere from $50 - $100 for a panel and cables tend to be cheap at $10-$20 depending on the panel / connectors.
impossible. I have mentioned above that I need to repair display that means that a cat broken it......................

HammerFall86

Jun 5, 2022
Please answer on :
* if any 15,6"whatever matt or glare LCD screen can be input as replacement or if them are unique to laptop model?
*and is it only 40 pin (specifically to motherboard) LCD/LED cable is unique or as a screen can be used any 40 pin cable?
* please enlighten me with insider info as I do struggle to understand of is it specifically marketing move or really every screen and cables are unique ?!

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I need the model number of the panel installed on the laptop to figure out all of the info you're looking for.

Look on the back of the screen and get the model info. Take a photo to be sure.

HammerFall86

Jun 5, 2022
I need the model number of the panel installed on the laptop to figure out all of the info you're looking for.

Look on the back of the screen and get the model info. Take a photo to be sure.
uneasy to do as physically it is located thousand of miles away.
is there no other way? which one been installed by manufacturer?

HammerFall86

Jun 5, 2022
OEM's use different panels depending on the SKU of the laptop.

Have your sister take a photo of the back of the panel.
thank you! I will try to get this of my sister or I will get it myself after 23/6 as I am going for a visit to my mom.
is there by a chance that I could get to serial number for my mom's tablet Teclast T20?
I am not sure if it is worth of risking to replace screen on it....

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
impossible. I have mentioned above that I need to repair display that means that a cat broken it......................
Will the laptop not output to an external display? All mine do...

Do you know if the thing is even worth fixing? Like it works fine with an external display so you know the monitor is the only issue?

Are the cords damaged or the jacks the cords plug into?

If you discover that the laptop really isn't worth fixing the hard drive can be pulled to save any pictures/data.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
1656695866096.png

Looking for options but panelook is being a PITA at the moment so, it might take awhile to get some tangible results.

Attachments

• 1656695555157.png
    1656695555157.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: HammerFall86

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022

So, there's a couple of FHD options that have better brightness / contrast options.

The best option IMO is the N156HGE-LG1 but the N156HGE-LA1 isn't far behind.

Either option should be a cheap replacement @ ~$60 or so. If you aren't picky then some of the generic replacement sites will suffice but you'll probably get a different model than the one you specify.

Reactions: HammerFall86

1randypj

Jul 1, 2022
Good answers guys, but, if the laptop has any age on it at all, wouldn't it be better to go with a new one, or an external monitor, as lakedude has said? Consider price for shipping, also. I know I have a 9 year old notebook as my only machine. If a major part goes out on it, I'll get a new laptop.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Good answers guys, but, if the laptop has any age on it at all, wouldn't it be better to go with a new one, or an external monitor, as lakedude has said? Consider price for shipping, also. I know I have a 9 year old notebook as my only machine. If a major part goes out on it, I'll get a new laptop.
$60 for a panel isn't a huge investment to be working again. Most of the replacement sites don't charge shipping.

As for a 10yo laptop and replacing it I usually only go a couple of years when there's a bigger enough leap in tech to warrant switching it out. The last one I picked up gen 4 drives and TB4 which makes a significant difference but, it also meant getting a 3060 GPU which is a huge performance boost as well.

It all depends on how it's being used. Surfing the web doesn't require a ton of power. If they're using it for more and it's sluggish then it might be time to consider replacement.