please help with installing dvd burner

Lioness

Jul 27, 2001
I searched the web to find a simple tutorial on how to install my dvd burner and have had no luck. Pioneers manual is poor. So here I am. I have the Pioneer A06 burner, two hard drives and a DVD-Rom. My son stores his DVD movies on his bedroom floor. I would like to back them up before they get destroyed. If possible I would like to do a straight copy DVD-Rom to DVD burner. Because of this I would think it would be best to put each of these devices on it's own IDE. Right?

Is this how I should set it up?
HDD1 on IDE 0 set to Master
DVD-ROM on IDE 0 set to slave

HDD2 on IDE 1 set to Master
DVD burner on IDE 1 set to slave.

Will it matter which IDE the burner or dvd-rom is located?

Thanks for your help

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
It dosen't seem to be a problem putting hds and optical drives on the same channel anymore, so your proposed setup should work. You can't copy commercial dvds without special software. 321 Studios makes several versions of their DVD Xcopy copy software that will do it. The Express version works well and is very easy to use. 321 Studios

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
As long as your jumpers are set correctly, your drive will install itself. just make sure your burning software is up to date.

As for backups, DVD Shrink will rip and reencode to fit on a single dvd r.

pyrojunkie

Jul 30, 2003
If you plan to rip your dvd's straight from the DVDROM to the burner, keep the drives off the same channel. If you plan to rip it to the hard drive first then to the burner, keep the drive you are ripping to of the same channel as the burner. Those two setups will give you the MAX speed for copying DVDs.

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jmagg
As long as your jumpers are set correctly, your drive will install itself. just make sure your burning software is up to date.

As for backups, DVD Shrink will rip and reencode to fit on a single dvd r.
not always..
Originally posted by: pyrojunkie
If you plan to rip your dvd's straight from the DVDROM to the burner, keep the drives off the same channel. If you plan to rip it to the hard drive first then to the burner, keep the drive you are ripping to of the same channel as the burner. Those two setups will give you the MAX speed for copying DVDs.
very true

Lioness

Jul 27, 2001
"If you plan to rip it to the hard drive first then to the burner, keep the drive you are ripping to "OF"of the same channel as the burner. Those two setups will give you the MAX speed for copying DVDs."

"OF", is this off or on? I think that you mean off. If so this would mean that I would have to put my DVD-Rom to IDE 0 slave and put the burner on IDE 1 slave. Right?

To clarify: To rip: I put the DVD movie into DVD-rom and rip to HDD1 (both on IDE 0).
To burn: I pull movie from HDD1 (IDE 0) to burner on IDE 1

Do I understand this? In ripping I'm using the same channel. In burning I'm using 2 different channels.

Lioness

Jul 27, 2001
In order to unlock any protection rights on the movie it might be best for me to use the last suggested setup (copy to hard drive first.)

I've been doing more reading on dvdrhelp.com and I think I'll use the tutorial on DVD decrypter, DVD shrink and AutoShrink ISO. Hopefully these programs, with the hardware setup will backup these movies for safe keeping.