Please help with Biostar TZ68A+ and 2500k overclocking

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017
I have read so many guides and spent so many hours messing with settings and looking through the internet and the only hope i received was from a post on this forum many years ago. unfortunately the images where through a third party hosting site and are no longer available.

Basically every time i try to change settings involving cpu core ratio or multiplier it will not save and makes no difference in my bios. I updated my bios to the newest possible version and the problem still persisted. the most i can get is just under 3.4. I need a new motherboard for sure, since i just upgraded to a 1080 and this one cannot even handle the full capabilities of it, but i would like to get this one overclocked for the time being. If anyone could help me i would really appreciate it.

link to images of my bios ( examples not my exact settings. )

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Biostar/TZ68A_PLUS/6.html

I have used this thread as an example and still run into the same problem
http://discuss.extremetech.com/forums/thread/1004443670.aspx

When i go to save my settings, my computer restarts 3 or 4 times and basically reverts itself back to where it was. I have changed other bios settings and they stay but, whenever i touch the cpu core, or voltage or anything in the O.N.E settings, it will not actually save

my current parts list... i replaced power supply from 430 to 700 years ago, and i just got the 1080 ti on black friday. Yes i know the motherboard cannot handle the 1080 in totality but i was hoping it would work until i purchase a new mother board. If anyone has a new motherboard recommendation, 32 gigs of ddr5 ram recommendation, or a cpu fan, i would really appreciate it.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/timbojh17/saved/#view=6jB7hM

Last edited:

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017
I have read so many guides and spent so many hours messing with settings and looking through the internet and the only hope i received was from a post on this forum many years ago. unfortunately the images where through a third party hosting site and are no longer available.

Basically every time i try to change settings involving cpu core ratio or multiplier it will not save and makes no difference in my bios. I updated my bios to the newest possible version and the problem still persisted. the most i can get is just under 3.4. I need a new motherboard for sure, since i just upgraded to a 1080 and this one cannot even handle the full capabilities of it, but i would like to get this one overclocked for the time being. If anyone could help me i would really appreciate it.

link to images of my bios ( examples not my exact settings. )

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Biostar/TZ68A_PLUS/6.html
those are not my exact settings, just an example of my bios settings and what i have available. I'm almost positive turbo is enabled. That tread will not open, says service unavailable? idk why

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017
Seen this thread?
http://discuss.extremetech.com/forums/thread/1004443670.aspx

Pretty sure Turbo has to be enabled for overclocking..

those are not my exact settings, just an example of my bios settings and what i have available. I'm almost positive turbo is enabled. I finally got that link to work and open. Do you want me to use the second reply on that thread as an example to overclock my bios?

are those pictures accurate?

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
The link works.. Good info there.. Here's an image from it..

BZ68B04.jpg

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017
The link works.. Good info there.. Here's an image from it..

BZ68B04.jpg
sorry it didnt work at first, then worked. I have been reading up. the reply that has that screenshot in it is the one i should follow? my best bet is to just copy his settings over to mine?

I really appreciate the help by the way, this is something i have tried to do off and on for 2 years now. I always give up

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
If your heat-sink & fan is good enough, and you have a decent power supply, I'd say copying his settings should be safe.. He details everything pretty well there.

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017
If your heat-sink & fan is good enough, and you have a decent power supply, I'd say copying his settings should be safe.. He details everything pretty well there.

There is something else going on here. I changed my settings to the exact same except i went with 44 instead of 48 on the cores. It did the same thing it always does when i change voltage or ratios. My computer restarted like 3+ times and then finally boots and no settings have changed. i pull of cpuz and prime95 and nothings different

Last edited:

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017
At load, on optimized defaults i get 3.399.99 mhz out of my core speed.... when i change settings and being to overclock, it gets locked at 3299.99 mhz. 1.236 core voltage, temperature shows 54 c. changing my settings lowers my pcs capabilities. Something is going wrong, somewhere

Edit : after defaulting to optimized, i went back and changed minimal settings, leaving almost everything on auto. after saving, this is the first time my computer boots on the first try after making bios changes. according to cpuz- i would jump 1.6 to 3.4 at load with prime running but on boot i would see cpuz spike to 3.5 or 3.6 ( even though i set it to 40 on the core ratio) that usually doesnt happen, but it sits at a solid 3.4 while prime95 is running.

Last edited: