Please help! Tried everything, computer wont stop locking up.

bamaaviator

Apr 14, 2008
I have no clue where else to turn. I have googled the issue and tried everything I can think of, short of replacing my entire system and I am getting frustrated.

When using the internet mostly, youtube...any browsing forums...doesnt matter what the browser ( IE , Chrome, Firefox, Edge ) My computer will randomly lock up and require a hard reset. Nothing works. Cant alt / ctrl / delete...nothing. Completely freezes. However, I can load a game, play on max / ultra settings in 4k....and my system usually never crashes.

I just purchased a brand new SSD and complete fresh Win 10 install...removed all other HDs....and I am still having this darn problem. I cant find any issue under event viewer or reliability report. I did find videos on how to change the power settings and put that at max power, so that isnt an issue. Downloaded various tests and all my components check out ok as well, no overheating problems.

I currently have a 5820k processer, 16 gig ram, 1 TB fresh SSD, 1 brand new Win 10 install, 860 watt powersupply, and a 1080 TI card...all hooked up through a Denon 4300x reciever and going into a 75 inch Sony 900e 4k TV.

What could possibly be my problem? Its been like this for months and I dont want to buy a new mobo...then new ram..then new CPU..then new powersupply..then new video card etc, just trying to troubleshoot this issue.
Any help would be a god send.

Thank you so much for any help!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Without being able to test good known components with what you have, it will be difficult to troubleshoot. It might be faster to have a local PC repair shop diagnose the issue.

You can try the easy stuff first, and hope that's the issue. Remove anything that is not necessary to boot the PC (GPU, extra RAM modules, and drives like hard drives or DVD drives.

To eliminate the RAM as the issue, try running only one stick, and run a test MemTest to see if there are any errors, and if not, put the other stick back in and repeat the test. You can also try a different SATA cable plugged into a different SATA port on the motherboard.

The last easy one is to try is a new PSU, and see if that is causing issues. But based on you being able to game without issue, it seems like that isn't likely to be your issue.

RAM:
https://www.memtest86.com/

CPU test:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

To see if there are any dump files being created when it locks up:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I would also try using one of your spare HDs to run another fresh copy of Windows to see if you can use a browser that way.

You could also try making a bootable flash drive with your Windows 10 just to see if it's your install or SSD giving you fits.

bamaaviator

Apr 14, 2008
Bought a brand new SSD with fresh Win 10 install = Crash

Bought a brand new 1000w Power Supply = Crash

Ran memtest = All is good.

Checked all internal temps = All good.

Ran Troubleshooter = Says cant fix a problem...with no problem mentioned.

Comp still crashing repeatedly. :(

bamaaviator

Apr 14, 2008
Everything works fine, but then crashes randomly with no BSOD, no Error Code...nothing at all. Just mouse freezes up, keyboard no longer responsive..sound stops etc.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Likely your motherboard is done, so probably time to RMA it.

Many of those X99 motherboards always seemed finicky from the help threads I've seen since they were released.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Probably a good idea to go to a local PC repair shop and have them confirm it's the issue.