Please help! My Radeon 7500 is posessed...

Ekan

Feb 3, 2001
..aum... or someting. Anyway I had this card working perfectly on the computer i have at work. Then i decided to test it on my home comp. Installed the latest (ATI) catalyst drivers, reboot and everything seemed to be alright... until i decided to bench it with 3dMark 2001 SE.

I could only get as far as the very first test (car game at low detail), whitch it handled quite ok, but when the second test (car game at high detail) is about to start, the screen flicks and you can get a fast glimpse at a BSOD and then the computer dies then starts to boot.

I have tried some different 4 in 1 drivers from via (4.38 & the latest 4.40p3) aswell as the via latency patch 0.19 with no luck. My home computer is a modest
pII 400 with 384Gb RAM & soundBlaster LIVE! running under W2K. The mobo is from luckyStar.

One strange thing that i noticed is that when i uninstall the drivers and reboot, then windows recognises it and installs it, ok fine. But when i check in the device manager it is listed (as the last entry in the "list") as "unknown" (not with the "?" - icon, but the blue "monitor" - icon) with an expandable "+" that folds to a "RADEON 7500" - device. There is no sign of the normal display device foldout (the green icon i used to have with my former gf2 gts).
Trying to get windows to search for new hardware does nothing about it either.

When i run the directX (v8.1) diag. however, every test runs without problems, so i am really confused and would for sure appreciate some help from anyone who might have a clue about what this could be all about.

Thank you for your time, and please bear with me as my description of this problem is not written in my native language, im from sweden. I try this forum first becuase last time i had a hardwarerelated problem you supernice people helped me out gracefully. :)

Regards / Anders

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
Did you get rid of all the nVidia drivers? Go to Guru3D and get Detonator Destroyer. If that doesn't work, maybe your card is possessed eh?

Ekan

Feb 3, 2001
Hi. Well, i did uninstall them the usual way with "Add / remove programs", but maybe you are right... Ill defenetly give "the destroyer" a shot. TNX for the tip!!!

UPDATE EDIT:

Hmm it seems that this detonator destroyer wount support w2k... too bad. :((

Speedy3D!

Golden Member
Oct 31, 1999
Try reinstalling your Nvidia card, then uninstalling it again.

Either that or just uninstall the ATI card as well (along with the drivers), that way when you boot back into windows it should ask you to install drivers.....

Either that or it's time for an Exorcist

The_Lurker

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2000
hmm... sounds like a driver thing.. you might want to do a clean format since nVidia drivers are notorious for staying around in registry entries and wrecking havoc on ATi Drivers.