Please Help Me!!

TheJerit

Sep 29, 2003
Hi everyone,

This is my first post , so i hope i dont suck too bad. I just purchased new computer parts from new egg to build my new computer , well it is fast, a whole lot faster than my 533 celeron i was on , ugghh.... but i have some problems w/it. i have an abit ic7-max3 mobo w/the onboard sound and i cant get anysound out of my computer at all , ive tried to plug the speaker into all the different holes and all that jazz but nothing will work. it shows the sound as working just fine on my computer. i have some altec lansing speaker hooked up to it, its just two speaker and a sub, so there is only one plug. Also my ati-all-in-wonder 9800 pro is acting funny. whenever i play a video or dvd or watch tv w/ it the picture is horrible , there is lil green bars all over the place and all this weird stuff. i have downloaded the new 3.7 drivers and all but to no help, Please help me, i know there are a lot of smart people in here bc i have used yall wisdom to help me build my new comp and also to learn more about o/c ing. Thank you very much!!
P.S. you can im me TheJerit on aim if u want or u can email me also @ jpreale@olemiss.edu , i just want some help! lol

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Is it Stock, or overclocked at the moment? What OS did you install?

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
First thing i would do is check you Bios Settings for Bus speed and memory . reset the Bios back to defaults and go from there. If you have another video card for test possible use it till you resolve the sound issues. The speakers should be plugged into the green port on the rear. Also make sure your speaker setup in widows is set to "Desktop speakers". Examine your sound properties and make sure that the use only preferred device box is checked. Also, reinstall your sound driver package, then dirextx 9, then the ati drivers.

TheJerit

Sep 29, 2003
well good news, i just played around w/it and i went through control panel and add/remove programs i guessed i repaired it or somtin but i really feel dumb but hey the great thing is that is working !!!!boo yah!!!! but.....i still havent got my video card to work rite yet , im confused w/it does anybody got any ideas w/ it?

TheJerit

Sep 29, 2003
also i have a wd 160 gig hd and it is recognized in the bios but windows xp pro wont recognize it , how can i solve this ?

snyderjw

Sep 19, 2003
Install SP1, after that windows XP will recognize it. Unfortunately if it's already partitioned and formatted you'll have to either:

1. Use a program such as partition magic (which you'll (legally) have to purchase, but even paying for it is worth it) to make your partition larger.

*OR*

2. Add another partition, which is not an easy task in XP, but manageable:

Go to control panel, select administrative tools

Go to computer management

click on disk management

at the end of your disk you will see something labeled unpartitioned space

a. right click that and partition it

b. right click it again and format it

c. right click it a third time and go to "change drive letter and path" in order to assign a drive letter

After that your computer should recognize the formerly unused space as a distinct drive, which is a reasonable solution if you don't want to buy partition magic

good luck!

TheJerit

Sep 29, 2003
it shouldnt be partitioned should it? i mean i ordered it from new egg and and i havent put anything on it bc windows wont recognize it , ok well ill try that and see how that goes

TheJerit

Sep 29, 2003
well it is being formatted rite now and and it has shown up as a new drive , so thats awesome, man i dont know why all my stuff has to be so complicated!!, but anywho well only one more thing wrong and then ill leave you all alone , i promise! my video card is still funny, it is fine when u see windows but if i turn my tv function or play a dvd , it has some weird lines and colors and then when i tried to play a game , i couldnt even tell what was going on , it was all messed up. i have installed the new catalyst from ati , then installed the old one and so on and so on but nothing has changed, i am stumped.....could i contact ati or is it just a messed up video card and i should rma it to new egg or what?i just dont see how it is broken if windows looks fine ...but of course i am not expert....

TheJerit

Sep 29, 2003
well now i tried to install the new drivers and all and everytime i try , half way through it brings up a box that says missing inf file and now my tv or any of my multimedia stuff wont even work even if i try to install the original so i took a gforce 2 mx400 64mb i had lying around and put it in the pci slot and it works great so im about to try to put the ati aiw into my g/f comp and see how that turns out , i contacted ati yesterday and they told me to dwnld the new drivers and thats when the inf stuff started and also when i install the old ones. when windows is trying to come up the screen goes blank so im thinking its just a bad card and i need to return it to new eggg for a new one, what do you all think?